VPP with MP

MisterD

Hello.

I have a character with a MP (Mastered Magic spells (no real limitations or advantages)

The character also has a VPP (Requiers Gestures/ Concentration, Incatations or any other -1/2 combination for spell casting)

The VPP is used to add active points to slots in the MP to

1) Add dice of effect

2) Add advantages

3) Add Adders

4) Alter base effect a Physical EB to become an Energy EB

Steves says no (with the Up to GM clause)

How can I do this?

Re: VPP with MP

How can you do what? You just want something to boost your MP?

Or are you trying to find a work around to the rule on page 310?

I'm hoping its the former rather than the latter.

For this type of effect, you ought to look at how much it would cost you to just build the whole thing as a VPP.

Once you get GM Permission (which I wouldn't give honestly):

Build normally inside the VPP.

Extra Dice are simple +XD6 Energy Blast

Naked Modifier take care of adding Advantages to a Power.

you cannot change the basse effect of an EB from Physical to Energy, once bought it is set. Buy two EBs, one of each.

What it really sounds like you want is not an MP + VPP but a normal VPP that you can adjust Powers inside of.

NOTE: I would not allow this under any circumstances. as p310 points out: you cannot use the slots of a Framework to modifiy the slots of another Framework. I think it's a good rule.

The rules pretty much say that using one Power Framework to add to another is a no no.

About your only options would be to:

1. Build your various adders and aids as individual stand-alone abilities.
  2. Scrap the VPP and use the points to make a really huge MP, or make slots within the multipower with Variable Advantages.
  3. Scrap the MP and use the points to increase your VPP so you can pull out whatever sort of customized power you need.

Whatever you do it is going to be more costly that what you were trying to get away with. Most GMs that allow VPP require the character to have a pre-defined group of abilities written-up ahead of time. This saves a lot of time during the game since you don't have to build powers on the spot. I have played in games where the GM allowed the player to take a minor limitation on his control pool if the player was unable to construct abilities over a certain active point limit. For example a 100 point VPP with a (-1/4) limit on the control that states no ability over 60 Active Points can be built. Something like that allows the character to have multiple weaker powers running.

I saw your follow up in Steve's forum.

Here's my advice:

buy all Master Spells strait.

Buy a VPP or MP with modifications to the Master Spells you want (Advantages, Adders, I'd even allow Extra Dice on a few).

Now your VPP is modifying Powers not Framework Powers. It's legal.

And possibly expensive. But what you want is very powerful.

Another thought is buy every Spell with the Variable Advantage Advantage, using only one or no Frameworks.

This falls into the category of something that was GM Purview in 4th Edition and became excluded in 5th. I think it - and a whole host of other things - should have remained GM Purview. I have been in games with character centered on constructs like this, and while they can completely unbalance a game if handled incorrectly, they can be managed. It requires a thoughtful GM who insists on specific limitations, and a player who can be trusted not to abuse the construct. As a result, I'm going to say:

Get your GM's permission; and agree to the restrictions they place upon it. A likely one would be "cannot be used to exceed campaign limits without extra endurance cost (-0)."

Barring that, your only option is to go with an aid - either a big one to the whole multipower, or an external one that aids a slot in the multipower on a 1 to 1 basis in terms of the powers active points.

I think I understand what you're trying to do, and it isn't unreasonable, but it is too flexible (=powerful) for the points this particular build would cost.

If I were your GM, I might allow it, charging extra for the VPP, say +1 advantage (at least) on the control cost, and call it close enough.

Although I usually like to be more precise than that.

Variable Advantage on the MP is one way to go, and it gives you some of what you're looking for. Or you can buy VA on some of the slots, and more dice in others. So you could have a 12d6 EB as one slot, and a 6d6 EB with +1/2 Variable Advantages in another.

Another way is to buy Naked Adders and Advantages and Extra Dice straight, and then limit them with the appropriate lims. This should give you everything you need.