Do patents work differently the Champions Universe?

Flames

In the Champions Universe book, on page 57, in the upper-right section on Uncanny Metals, it says that Professor Darryl Kendrik has patented Kendrium, and, at the same time, has not released the exact mix.

How would anyone who is attempting to create a similar metal be able to tell if it infringes on Prof. Kendrik's patent without the exact mix being spelled out explicitly in the patent itself?

Are patents different in the Champions Universe? Are the contents of patents kept secret by the USPTO? :confused:

This could be an important matter for the gadgeteer/inventor hero in your campaign.

Yeah, I know what you're thinking... that Flames spends way too much time reading Slashdot...

Re: Do patents work differently the Champions Universe?

Kendrik works for a major defense contractor in a district with high unemployment. The contractor only had to make a few minor "contributions" (and one two week "fact finding" trip to a golf resort) to the right congressmen and senators to get a little pressure put on the patent office so that the patent would be approved. It won't stand up in court (Judges are harder to bribe, mostly because you need to get to them way before they hear a case), but the contractor has great lawyers.

The above does not reflect the official position of the authors of the CU. As their official opinion appears to be that the Circle of the Scarlet Moon already controls the US Government, the above probably isn't dark enough.

This is covered in the GM's Vault of Millennium City (p.96). If you don't have access to that book' date=' I could PM you. It's a very brief explanation.[/quote']

Huh. I thought it was just a mistake, when I read it. So this is a one-off thing just for Kendrium? Please PM me with it, too, my curiosity is aroused. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Um, when have the author stated the Circle of the Scarlet Moon controls the government?

Yeah, the Circle has lots of influence. Yeah, Talisman has a high opinion of their power ( certainly an unbiased account! ). No, there's no ex-cathedra declarations that they have total control, especially given that the example Archdruid only had state-level influence.

Um, when have the author stated the Circle of the Scarlet Moon controls the government?

Yeah, the Circle has lots of influence. Yeah, Talisman has a high opinion of their power ( certainly an unbiased account! ). No, there's no ex-cathedra declarations that they have total control, especially given that the example Archdruid only had state-level influence.

Perhaps you'd like to mentally insert a smiley after tongue in cheek posts?

In the Champions Universe book, on page 57, in the upper-right section on Uncanny Metals, it says that Professor Darryl Kendrik has patented Kendrium, and, at the same time, has not released the exact mix.

How would anyone who is attempting to create a similar metal be able to tell if it infringes on Prof. Kendrik's patent without the exact mix being spelled out explicitly in the patent itself?

Are patents different in the Champions Universe? Are the contents of patents kept secret by the USPTO? :confused:

This could be an important matter for the gadgeteer/inventor hero in your campaign.

If this came up in game and I needed to make sense of it, I'd rationalize that the patent covers Kendrium and the processes (also propriety-material) needed to create it.

Realistically, the patent is probably just there to cover Kendrick, et al, legally. It's also possible that the division of the patent office that deals with "super-tech and related-materials" has the additional burden of enforcing super-patents with secret formulas for reasons of national security.

Sorry' date=' *reaaally* big pet peeve. Anything that reminds me of irrational Wolfram & Hart fanboyism triggers major *twitch*.[/quote']

I don't know - I'm not that bothered by the idea that all institutions of "authority", and their human components, are bought and paid for. I mean, if you count non-monetary compensations and philosophico-ethical allegiances to be the same as "bought and paid for". If a given Senator will "always" vote the way that best serves, say, the ACLU/NAACP/NRA/Big Oil/etc., then they are a wholly owned politician by that group, right?

Note that Patents issued by a specific governement still only cover territory controlled by tha government or other governments wherein it has some sort of equalising patent recognition treaty. Otherwise somebody applying for a patent has to apply in a bunch of differnt countries.

Example; I don't think Dr.Dooms Latveria respects European/US patent laws... but I could be wrong (He's standing behind me, isn't he? Oh bugger!)

I don't know - I'm not that bothered by the idea that all institutions of "authority"' date=' and their human components, are bought and paid for. I mean, if you count non-monetary compensations and philosophico-ethical allegiances to be the same as "bought and paid for". If a given Senator will "always" vote the way that best serves, say, the ACLU/NAACP/NRA/Big Oil/etc., then they are a wholly owned politician by that group, right?[/quote']

Two problems. One, there's a difference between influence and owning. One simply determines how you tend to vote; the other determines your actions to the points of violating ethics and legality. The former is a *lot* easier to achieve than the latter.

Two, there are tons of competing interest groups, businesses, and political subparties all fighting for influence, on top of whatever villainous groups might subvert the process. And while genuine villains can certainly gain control quicker and stronger over any given person by using genuinely villainous tricks ( mind control, genetic blackmail, soul contracts, etc ), they need to keep it secret, because all those other competing interests will *love* to reveal it and totally ruin your effort.

In sum total, the reason things like businesses can 'buy' politicians is because campaign contributions, promises of support, and more jobs in the home district can all be done essentially openly. Villainous groups, even ones with resources well beyond any normal business, have to be alot more circumspect, and thus are limited to fewer political minions of lesser obvious support.

Or, to put another way, "Senator Smith took contributions from Mega, Inc." might not even be a scandal, if its a big employer that provides lots of jobs. "Senator Smith took contributions from VIPER" is cause for big men in black jumpsuit carrying guns to kick down the Senator's door and cuff his hands behind his back.

Note that Patents issued by a specific governement still only cover territory controlled by tha government or other governments wherein it has some sort of equalising patent recognition treaty. Otherwise somebody applying for a patent has to apply in a bunch of differnt countries.

Example; I don't think Dr.Dooms Latveria respects European/US patent laws... but I could be wrong (He's standing behind me, isn't he? Oh bugger!)

Which I think might have something to do with Kendrick's secrecy.

No, he listed the process and the ingredients. However, after the patent review committee finally stopped laughing because the main ingredient/process that actually allows the metal to work was - ahem - 'magic'. They just decided it was too embarassing to put out there for all to see. :whistle: