Costumes in a Real World Game

Armitage

From the Journal of Abnormal Psychology, July 13, 2006

"In the ten years since the Swarm invasion, psychologists have pondered one question more than any other. After the Pulse transformed a small percentage of humanity into the superhumans now known as metas, why did so many of them begin wearing unusual costumes and using their abilities to commit or prevent crimes, living the classic "superhero" and "supervillain" archetypes?

It is well documented that Starblaze, the first costumed hero, created his identity on the advice of his publicist. But if the motivation were a simple desire for wealth, fame or attention, there are more practical routes-movies and television, sports, industry, product endorsements, or corporate sponsorships, for example. The significant number of metas who have continued to live "normal" lives show that this is a perfectly viable option. What has driven so many individuals to adopt a lifestyle resembling something out of a comic book?

Two theories currently dominate the field.

The first theory is that the Pulse mutated people based on psychological as well as physiological characteristics. Those people who gained superhuman powers during the invasion were those most likely to uses those abilities in an extreme manner. The major flaw with this theory is that it doesn't explain the increasing number of unmutated humans who have donned costumes and begun engaging in the types of activities normally associated with metas.

The second theory is that in addition to causing physical mutations, the Pulse also altered the brains of those affected. Lowered inhibitions, thrill-seeking and a tendency toward extreme behavior led many metas to the activities we so often see on the evening news. If this theory is accurate, it can be assumed that non-meta costumed heroes and villains are individuals who were mentally altered by the Pulse without experiencing physical mutation. Unfortunately, this theory has been enthusiastically adopted by the Purists and the Children of Eden, who use it to support their claim that metas are inhuman monsters deserving of extermination."

My campaign is set in our world, 10 years after an alien invasion. A weapon used at the begining of the attack to disrupt worldwide communications had the unexpected side effect of turning 1 person in 1000000 into superhumans, who repelled the invasion after several months.

I suddenly realized-why would people become heroes and villains in the real world if they gained powers? I could just say "It's a Champions game. That's the way it is", but that's boring.

Then it hit me. Since all of the superhumans have a common origin, what if that origin had the side effect of causing them to emulate extreme fictional tropes?

It could add an interesting role-playing element too. Sure, the villains are nuts. But are you really a hero? Or are you just crazy too?

Re: Costumes in a Real World Game

Look at the power of the uniform as it relates to belonging. Perhaps it's the rest of humanity with the weird costume fixation. Why do groups of people all dress alike? To feel accepted. Once the need for external acceptance is no longer a factor, those with true power can express their individuality, inner soul, true right to dominate, or whatever, without society's approval.

There's two questions here.

1) Why do they adopt the behaviours of super heroes or super villains

and

2) Why do they dress up in the uniforms associated with them

#1 can they split in two, since the reasons for someone to adopt a heroic persona is probably very different than someone adopting a villainous persona. Becoming a villain is easy - one adopts a might makes right attitude. I have the power, I'll do what I want. The heroic approach is different - it requires a strong belief in doing what's right - it requires a tremendous amount of humility ("I have this power but I'm not really better than anyone else") - and it requires a sense of self-sacrifice. It is conceivable that some people would have that. It also requires that they are anti-establishment enough to not become a cop, a fed, a soldier or a firefighter. Doable, but logic dictates that there might be some people who feel 'heroic' but work through channels.

The dress sense issue is tougher. To understand the benefits of tight clothes - ask a downhill skier of the pro or Olympic variety. Basically, to keep warm and minimise wind resistance. Why where your shorts on the outisde? Modesty (traditionally) or immodesty ('Lois & Clark' 'Superman Returns'.) Essentially, the loose shorts over the tights that acrobats did (do?) that was emulated by Superman, Batman, and Captain America was to conceal their packages. If a man wore tights alone, his privates would be covered, but very ovious. In recent years, the trend has been to wear the shorts tight, as if to say "Hey look at how much meat I'm packin'."

Outside of the more-or-less practical reasons, there's image. I know if I was one of the people that got powers, I'd be inclined to try to do the super-heroic thing. And so other people would know what I was trying to do, I'd be inclined to 'dress the part.' In a realistic setting, where powers are recent, there's 60+ years of pop culture that says "You're wearing tights and a cape in public - you must be some kind of super hero."

If lowered inhibitions was all of it, there'd be very, VERY few superheroes. Lots of supervillains, tho.

I think some supers would deliberately dress away from the "standard supers" look, in protest or because they don't want to be expected to act like typical supers. You'd see a lot of supers in biz suits, sweats, jeans&t, etc.

A lot of personal-effect type powers (invisibility, intangibility, skin-hugging force fields, etc.) might work inconveniently if clothing isn't included in the effect. Some worlds use unstable molecules or a nova-conjured bio-cloth or EctoWeave or whatever to explain how modesty is maintained (and how any such supers live in northern states), but you could just say that (a lot of) these kinds of powers in your world just seem to treat light, skin-tight clothing as part of the person - but not heavier/looser clothing. Because of this, people with these kinds of powers are more or less forced to wear "superhero-like" costumes if they want to use them effectively. Once they started to, the association with comic book superheros became even more ingrained, or the "look" was otherwise popularized by these trendsetters.

Any form of movement power capable of propelling you faster than about 40 MPH is something you'll want to be wearing leather or skin tight clothing for. Regular clothes just won't stand up to the wear and tear and the drag becomes noticeable. There's a reason why if you look at a luger or a speedskater their outfit looks very much like a superhero costume. The faster you go, the more clothing that isn't smooth becomes an issue.

I think people in the real world, confronted with real superhuman powers would vary in their mode of dress. Some superpowers do indeed seem ot fit with skintight latex/spandex. Speedsters seem to be an obvious area for this. Maybe the super martial artist as well. I have a psuedo-brick in my world who is a huge Cleveland Browns fan, and wears a browns jursey, and brown football pants. In the real world, Bricks would either grow immodest, or wear something nearly involnerable to cover their bits, maybe kevlar or some very resilliant alloy chainmail mesh.

I think there would be a fair number of military metas, probably in gray BDUs with web belts, some kind of audi link, and standard issue military gear.

There are always going to be flashy, flamboyant types out there who dress to draw attention. These would be your four-color costumed types. However, even some of these are going to opt for at least somewhat functional outfits. For instance... I don't believe there would be nearly as many 5" steleto heals on women's costumes. :)

If you're going to start throwing around terms like "The Real World" you have to acknowledge that most super hero tropes really don't make any sense. Translated to the "Real World" most costumes as designed for comic book illustrations look stupid, are very uncomfortable, and probably too too expensive for most people to afford. In the "Real World" people who burst into flame tend to get hurt. In the "Real World" the pesky things like physics matter. But you've probably already thought about that stuff already.

The thing about the "Real World" is that nothing (except a vacuum) exists in a vacuum so the real fun starts when you go looking around at how your choices bonk into other things. For instance, commit to the idea that this weapon's aftermath really has made people nuts. No namby pamby mystery about it. Sure some miniscule percentage of the population actually become super heros but a much larger number are deluded that they are super heros. You want to get creepy about it have the campaign start out as a full blown four color campaign and then have the PCs slowly realize that things really aren't what they seem to be. Slowly they wake up to the truth that the shiney utopian metropolis (and the nifty capes and cowls) they've been living with for the last ten years is really a city full of very damaged people. The battle for truth and justice becomes something far more profound...

In the "Real World" people who burst into flame tend to get hurt. In the "Real World" the pesky things like physics matter. But you've probably already thought about that stuff already.

Sure. In fact, he covered that by saying people got superpowers, y'know? It's been ten years of superhumans in the game background. One can assume "I can explode like a living bomb... once" Man has already voided his warranty. Likewise, since this is an RPG and not an Iron Age comic, we can run with the idea that superstrength doesn't flex the meat clean off your now splintered bones and that when you bench press a car, you pick the whole thing up rather than ripping it apart. Assuming otherwise usually gets frowned on by the players who probably wanted to actually enjoy their characters.

After all, the Real World and this campaign obviously diverged when the alien weapon turned people into supermen instead of bacon bits or cancerous growths.

Costumes (whether in the real world or comics), serve several important functions. First is obviously disguise. I don't care what kind of powers I have, I'm not using them in public without my face covered. Second, it gives people a way to identify you (I know, seems to contradict the first, but stay with me). People may not be saying "John Jenkins of 321 Main Street pulled me out of my burning car!", but they will say "Ultiman saved my life!" Plus, if you're looking into the possibility of marketing, it gives you something to trademark. Third, if you are of the Batman persuasion, there is intimidation. This one also applies to villains, obviously. As for the costume being skin-tight or not, well that depends on body type, power set, and personal preference.