stealth

steph

just want to know what you do in this kind of situation....................a character who make is stealth skill by 4 attack another one ............is this a suprise attack automaticaly or you give the attacked the chance of a per roll at -4 or another idea?

excuse my english

not my first language

steph

Re: stealth

Depends, if this is out of Combat then i'd apply some kind of penalty to the PER roll (total PER Roll Penalty with an additional -2, if it fails then the situation is out of combat surprize). If the situation is in combat, it would be a standard PER roll at -4 (including penalties for being behind the person and range if applicable).

The grand idea here is that yes, it should require a PER roll. If it is a mook, I'd just skip all that.

Depends, if this is out of Combat then i'd apply some kind of penalty to the PER roll (total PER Roll Penalty with an additional -2, if it fails then the situation is out of combat surprize). If the situation is in combat, it would be a standard PER roll at -4 (including penalties for being behind the person and range if applicable).

The grand idea here is that yes, it should require a PER roll. If it is a mook, I'd just skip all that.

Pretty much what he said. Stealth is almost always opposed by the Perception of those that might spot/hear the character. About the only time it isn't is when there isn't anyone around to notice.

Also depends on genre a bit. In superhero games where you can afford a 22- in stealth, allowing a surprise attack on a simp[le roll is a bit rich, really. I mean, you don't get it for being invisible.

Generally, if a character is in combat already it is not too much of a problem - they are not taking 2x stun, so all it is is an OCV bonus, in effect, on a single attack.

The other thing about stealth is that it is very very situaional.

In combat, characters are not stationary between phases, but constantly moving and observing. Approaching someone stealthfully* in combat is often virtually impossible.

The significance of making the roll by 4 is this, and only this: a PER roll is OPPOSED to stealth, so you will get a penalty of -4 if the opponent makes his stealth roll by 4 - it is not an automatic thing at all.

This is HERO - nothing is automatic unless you want it to be, but the core of the system has always been to roll for everything. If this is a non combat situation, then it's an opposed stealth roll; in a combat situation, again, if he gets the roll, and the opposed roll doesn't cut it (remember, there's no penalty, it's a matter of margins - a crappy stealth guy who makes his roll by three got lucky - someone with sharp eyes is going to make the roll by four or more, thus leaving everything up to the individual and much less to the dice) then yes, I would give the Stealth bonus.

• 2 weeks later...

Bonjour Steph,

J’espère que ce message-ci te parviendra. Je ne suis pas sur d'avoir bien compris comment il fallait faire pour répondre. Pourtant j'ai essayé plusieurs fois avant de penser à ton message initial.

En cas de jet en opposition, celui qui à la plus grande marge réussit.

En cas d’égalité, je donne l’avantage à la personne qui agit sur celle qui réagit.

Dans ton exemple, la personne essaie d’être discrète (stealth) initie l’action. En cas d’égalité, son adversaire ne la détecte pas.

Par contre, si une personne cherche quelqu’un dans la foule et que celle si s’en aperçoit et cherche à être discrète (en « réaction »), je considère que la personne qui cherche réussit.

Quand on réagit, on a souvent moins de temps (pas de préparation possible) et on n’a pas forcement les moyens nécessaires.

Si tu n’arrives pas à te décider sur celui qui agit et celui qui réagit, tu peux toujours leur faire refaire un jet en opposition ou considérer que celui qui a la meilleur compétence de base réussit.

Amitiés

Alexandre

Where's the footnote? :confused:

Sorry mate, I believe it was just going to be a comment to the effect that I am making words up again :)

Oh, and you've got to love Babel Fish:

Hello Steph, I hope that this message will reach you. I am not on to have well included/understood how it was necessary to make to answer. However I tested several times before thinking of your initial message. In the event of jet in opposition, that which with the greatest margin succeeds. In the event of equality, I give the advantage to the person who acts on that which reacts. In your example, the person tries to be discrete (stealth) initiates the action. In the event of equality, its adversary does not detect it. On the other hand, if a person seeks somebody in crowd and that that if realizes of it and seeks to be discrete (in "reaction"), I consider that the person which seeks succeeds. When one reacts, one has often less time (not possible preparation) and one does not have forcing the means necessary. If you are not able to decide to you on that which acts and that which reacts, you can always make them remake a jet in opposition or to consider that that which has best basic competence succeeds. Friendships Alexandre

Sorry mate, I believe it was just going to be a comment to the effect that I am making words up again :)

Oh, and you've got to love Babel Fish:

In that case, I suggest that the word you are looking for is "stealthily", and cunningly deflect blame for this suggestion unto Babel Fish :whistle:

Hello Steph' date=' I hope that this message will reach you. I am not on to have well included/understood how it was necessary to make to answer. However I tested several times before thinking of your initial message. In the event of jet in opposition, that which with the greatest margin succeeds. In the event of equality, I give the advantage to the person who acts on that which reacts. In your example, the person tries to be discrete (stealth) initiates the action. In the event of equality, its adversary does not detect it. On the other hand, if a person seeks somebody in crowd and that that if realizes of it and seeks to be discrete (in "reaction"), I consider that the person which seeks succeeds. When one reacts, one has often less time (not possible preparation) and one does not have forcing the means necessary. If you are not able to decide to you on that which acts and that which reacts, you can always make them remake a jet in opposition or to consider that that which has best basic competence succeeds. Friendships Alexandre[/quote']

This is so much more fun to read when you've forgotten what the original post was about :yes: