Shield Walls

Sir Ofeelya

Re: Shield Walls

I think old FH used to allow a +1DCV per neighboring shield, and didnt worry about the 'no dodging around' deal. So +2 DCV for the folks in the middle of the wall, and only +1 for the guys on the end. If the guys in the wall are using nice long poking weapons (like pikes) then thwir opponents will be losing an OCV as well, for a total CV modifier of 3.

All added together, its pretty effective....

DEX 10 grunts get DCV 3 to start, then add 3 DCV for their large shields, then 2 more DCV for being in a shield wall, for a total of 8 DCV (all assuming no encumbrance penalties) AND their opponents probably lose an OCV.

Not enough to let basic infantrymen defeat heroic level opponents, but it makes them pretty tough against masses of poorly disciplined & low skill opponents.

I'd just apply a simple rule - a shield only offers a DCV bonus from one direction. A shield wall extends that so you have no "unshielded" flank and people can't get behind you (except for the guys on the ends!). As for the leaping around, I doubt people in combat actually leap that much, part from the Hero types - yer basic DCV includes deflection and positioning more than leaping about (IMO) - otherwise being in the midst of a warband of axe-weilders would get lethal pretty quickly.

You might like to rule that in the press of combat you couldn't actually use the dodge maneuver though.

As for the Tortise, it's simply a 3-D shieldwall - it stops plunging fire and people shooting at your unshielded flank as you move. Basically it gives you the +3DCV for that bg shield from all directions. It's not foolproof though - the shields are not fastened together so some missiles will slip through as the soldiers move.

cheers, Mark

I fought and seen fights with shield walls. still want to get to the national SAC event (to see ) where the side have thousands on each side. a friend had gone and ended up in the middle of one.

and there is aways some wag who leaps up and tries to go over the wall (and dies spectacularly ) 9 times out ten (tenth time it allows the wall to be broken, I would hazard a guest that in real life where death is the result not bruises that this would not be done that much. dose explain some writings about the Gauls and vikings tho.