Thrilling Places!

Darren Watts

Re: Thrilling Places!

I know what you mean, and understand. It just, IMHO, incorporating the divergent more into a cohesive whole helps for selling a setting, and distinguishing it from every other setting of the same genre.

This is difficult with Pulp, admittedly, unless you go really out there with the weirdness and divergent history.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well' date=' we love Pulp too, and Pulp Hero itself sold pretty darn well. But so far, to be honest, the supplements have been a bit of a disappointment sales-wise (which is a double shame, because Rob did a fabulous job on both.) So be sure to go out and spread the word on how cool these books are, because we'd really love to do more of them! dw[/quote']

Methinks my LGS is dropping the ball, I asked them to order M&M, I'll order Thrilling Places, too.

Just a suggestion, and please don't take it to Avalanche extremes, but the pulp line would draw more attention (and likely sales) if the covers looked more, well, Pulpy. :o I want to see shirtless torsos with the naughty bits concealed. Can't go wrong with strapping someone sexy to a wall or table.

If people would just realize that the best Batman and Wolverine storylines were Pulp, you might get some crossover sales. Hawkman is a Pulp character as is Adam Strange. As soon as someone sees a blade or a firearm they go "Dark Champions!," but the core, the essense, the heart of the genre is Pulp.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried to get Thrilling Places at Gen Con, but the Hero folks only brought something like five copies, which were gone within an hour or two. I ended up ordering it from Noble Knight Games. My local comic shop has tried to order the Hero core rulebook several times, but are usually told it's out of stock. Makes me wonder what kind of print runs the folks at Hero adhere to. Do they wait for backorders to build before going back to press? Bad idea, IMHO.

In any case, I thought Thrilling Places was a worthwhile purchase and also quite liked the villain reference as well. I've also purchased most of the PDF adventures.

I look foward to continued additions to the line, but my one issue with Hero products is expense. Most of the Pulp Hero products are in black & white, so the markup seems extreme. Unit cost depends on size of the print run, of course, so if they're only printing 2500 copies or so, perhaps it really is ridiculously expensive. Still, it always gives me pause when ordering this stuff (which is why I usually get it from Noble Knight, as they discount most everything).

My local comic shop has tried to order the Hero core rulebook several times' date=' but are usually told it's out of stock. [/quote']

If your local store uses a "distributor" there is the problem. I try to order through my FLGS if I can, but they use a "distributor" as well, which routinely tell people hero products are unavailable for whatever reason. I still get the Hero is out of business story once in a while.

As far as the glossy page thing. Personally I prefer substance to "let's hide the fact there isn't anything of worth in the book by throwing in a lot of color and pics" that is becoming the norm. With the hero line if the book is 100 pages I can be assured of at least 98 pages of something I can use. Minus the standard end pages, credits etc.

As far as price goes. The books are priced right on line with industry average, a little better value IMO if you factor in crunchyness and usable words on the page.

I tried to get Thrilling Places at Gen Con' date=' but the Hero folks only brought something like five copies, which were gone within an hour or two. I ended up ordering it from Noble Knight Games. My local comic shop has tried to order the Hero core rulebook several times, but are usually told it's out of stock. Makes me wonder what kind of print runs the folks at Hero adhere to. Do they wait for backorders to build before going back to press? Bad idea, IMHO.[/quote']

As Spence mentioned - It's not HERO Games' print runs, or your store. It's the f-d up distributors. They randomly list books out of print, out of stock without even checking to see if more can be ordered and other bizarre acts of stupidity.