Is the Thrilling Places PDF overpriced?

the Evil DM

I was reading the thrilling places thread and heard mention that the book was available in pdf. I went to the online store and saw that a print copy was $26.99 and a PDF copy went for $18.99

maybe i'm wrong, but shouldnt a pdf product have a CONSIDERABLY discounted price over a print product? I mean, i'm using my paper, my ink, etc. the savings appears to be all in the retailers favor.

I don't mean to sound cheap but my free-wheeling days of buying any supplement that hits the racks are long gone. I now have a family and a very tight gaming budget, so i need to make my bucks stretch as far as I can. and PDF's help me strecth my dollars.

I'm thinking that a PDF product should be AT LEAST half the cost of a print product. I dont mind letting a guy make a buck, but in this case it looks like I would be getting the short end of the deal.

I guess the bottom line is while i would like to get a copy of Thrilling Places the price for a PDF just doesnt make sense to me. So for now I'll take a pass. I dont get a nifty new sourcebook to oogle and Hero doesnt make a sale. nobody wins.

Re: Is the Thrilling Places PDF overpriced?

All of our PDFs are discounted from the hardcopy price by somewhere between a quarter and a third, depending on what makes a nice ".99" number. I'm sorry you feel that's not enough, but I'm afraid you'll find that pretty standard across the industry and representative of the difference in expense of producing them. dw

All of our PDFs are discounted from the hardcopy price by somewhere between a quarter and a third' date=' depending on what makes a nice ".99" number. I'm sorry you feel that's not enough, but I'm afraid you'll find that pretty standard across the industry and representative of the difference in expense of producing them. dw[/quote']

I checked Green Ronin. and both their M&M 2nd edition core rules and their Golden age supplement were at 50% discount for the pdf vs. the HC.

Pinnacle has their Savage worlds at about a third off for pdf vs. HC.

what is the page count for the thrilling places book?

The page count for the PDF is 154 PP which isn't bad. While I will admit that I do find the Hero Games PDFs a little more pricy than I'd like, I wouldn't call them out of the ballpark by any means. I just bought the PDF and am perfectly happy with it. I'd have liked it to be about two or three dollars cheaper, but I'm not going to quibble.

I got a discount on the HC price and got instant gratification as opposed to having to either go down to the local game store (which means heading downtown in rush hour traffic to the one store that does have a good HERO line) or wait for delivery.

Works for me.

The page count for the PDF is 154 PP which isn't bad. While I will admit that I do find the Hero Games PDFs a little more pricy than I'd like, I wouldn't call them out of the ballpark by any means. I just bought the PDF and am perfectly happy with it. I'd have liked it to be about two or three dollars cheaper, but I'm not going to quibble.

I got a discount on the HC price and got instant gratification as opposed to having to either go down to the local game store (which means heading downtown in rush hour traffic to the one store that does have a good HERO line) or wait for delivery.

Works for me.

Wow, 154 pages seems a bit thin for the price. but thats just my opinion.

thanks for the info Lemurion.

I think, that if you buy only the PDF the price is "ok". But I, as I buy all the books from Hero Games in a local store in Germany and would also like to have the PDFs for all those books, it is really to expensive and i even could not profit from the bundles offered in the OnlineStore of HeroGames.

Personally - and this isn't criticism of DoJ - I generally won't pay more than ~60% of the cover price of the printed edition for a PDF. I have to have a very good idea of what's in it, and really want it to shell out more. Some companies discount to 50%-60% regularly, while others tend to price closer to the ratio DoJ prices at. As a result, there's nothing out-of-line in DoJs pricing scheme, though it does mean I don't buy as much from them as I otherwise would (no impulse buys, no "I'll take a chance on it," and no "lets grab more just to have more"). Its hard to know what the best model is for DoJ (fewer sales at higher prices, or potentially more sales at lower prices) - the market is tight and small companies have to make their calculations on thin margins. Whatever Darren and Co. decide in this regard, I hope they profit from it.

It's a slow week. What else can we find to complain about?

Keith "Sorry, just in that kind of mood this morning" Curtis

So you just thought you would share your mood with us huh?

Look guys, I dont want it to sound like I'm whining and moaning. I enjoy the heck out of Hero games stuff. I have been a fan since 1st edition Champions, and I have spent hundreds of dollars on their games over the years, I just thought that in this instance the product may have been over priced, and I posed the question. I think Hero puts out great stuff, and I would think they would like to hear from their customers, not only gushing fanboy praise but the occasional note of concern. I have no doubt that the content of the product is good-thats not an issue. I just think for the amount of material you are getting, the PDF price is a bit high. but it looks like the thread is turning into something it shouldnt be, and I don't want to go down that path. once people start posting "What else can we find to complain about?"

That tells me that the spirit in which my post was given was misinterpreted.

but it looks like the thread is turning into something it shouldnt be' date=' and I don't want to go down that path. [/quote']

I think most of the answers you've recieved were fair-minded, direct, and in the spirit of your original question. One poster's grumpy pre-coffee morning snip does not a derailed thread make.

I think most of the answers you've recieved were fair-minded' date=' direct, and in the spirit of your original question. One poster's grumpy pre-coffee morning snip does not a derailed thread make.[/quote']

Reason prevails.

My apologies Keith. As a veteran of several years of messageboard use (too many maybe). I've seen many a thread Hijacked and the intention Skewed. In retrospect I probably jumped the gun on that one. Again, sorry.

And the D-man is correct. This board has once again shown why it's a favorite place for me to post. the responses have been fair minded and civil. Heck with all the good Karma and knowing what a geek I am anyway, I'll probably be ordering a hardcopy from my FLGS next payday.

Thanks folks.

This is just a bit of conjecture on my part, with no basis in real fact.

But part of the reason for Hero to be on the higher side of the PDF pricing is that they often release them concurrently with the hardcopy and don't want a too cheap PDF to hurt sales of those.

But as I said, that's a complete rank amateur thought on the whole deal. Considering we still get more bang for buck over that other game in any format the pricing doesn't bother me all that much.

There's a perennial argument on RPG.net regarding prices of game supplements. Some think game products are, in general, overpriced. I appreciate that Hero Games makes an effort to keep the prices for their print products as low as possible by printing softcover versions, making the interior black and white, and cheaping out on the art (no offense, but the art is usually the weakest part of a Hero product). WotC, in comparison, charges really high prices for much shorter page counts - they print hardcovers with color art inside and out. I prefer quantity over quality.

On the other hand, one has to consider that gaming is one of the least expensive hobbies to participate in. I bought a movie ticket today, to The Prestige. It cost me $10 for a one-person ticket, and $3 for a soda - $13 for two hours of entertainment, and maybe a couple of hours of reminiscence and discussion. On the other hand, the $25 I paid for Conquerors, Killers, and Crooks is going to end up bringing me dozens of hours of enjoyment. A much better investment.

There's a perennial argument on RPG.net regarding prices of game supplements. Some think game products are, in general, overpriced. I appreciate that Hero Games makes an effort to keep the prices for their print products as low as possible by printing softcover versions, making the interior black and white, and cheaping out on the art (no offense, but the art is usually the weakest part of a Hero product). WotC, in comparison, charges really high prices for much shorter page counts - they print hardcovers with color art inside and out. I prefer quantity over quality.

On the other hand, one has to consider that gaming is one of the least expensive hobbies to participate in. I bought a movie ticket today, to The Prestige. It cost me $10 for a one-person ticket, and $3 for a soda - $13 for two hours of entertainment, and maybe a couple of hours of reminiscence and discussion. On the other hand, the $25 I paid for Conquerors, Killers, and Crooks is going to end up bringing me dozens of hours of enjoyment. A much better investment.

I find that HERO books are very well priced and tend to think nothing of picking one up. Even the base rules at about C$60 is a good deal (you get a lot of gaming goodness for the price). The PDFs are priced at about a 25-33% discount where I think a 33-50% discount would probably be more appropriate, but it's not enough to stop me from buying them.

Part of it is that there's a part of me that balks at paying over $20 for a PDF. It's just harder to get me to cross that line when I'm buying electrons. (I know it's psychological because it's U$20 and I live in Canada).

Anyway, I bought the PDF and like it :)