Random Superpowers: The Contoller

gojira

(If someone could fix the title for me ("Random Superpowers: The Controller"), that'd be awesome.)

Hi all, I just got my copy of Champions, and after finishing my first quick read through I'm loving it :love:.

However, I did notice a little issue with the Random Superpowers section. This would be an excellent starting point for many new players. But there seems to be several Archetypes missing from the line up. Archetypes like Controller, Buffer, and Healer are pretty familiar to most players and would be a good addition to the existing Archetypes.

Rather than just point this out, I decided to try to make some more Random Superpowers that could be plugged into the current tables. I have my first pass now, so I thought I'd post what I have so far, and let people offer suggestions. I only have the Controller done, so I'll have to start with just that one.

The Controller

Characteristics: 1-2 Nimbleness Set, 3-4 Health and Intellect Set, 5-6 Light Set

Primary Powers: 1 Telekinetic Set, 2 Telepathic Set, 3 Fire Controller Set, 4 Ice Controller Set, 5 Tech Controller Set, 6 Magic Controller Set

Secondary Power: 1 Fight or Flight Set, 2 Flight and Sight Set, 3 Fire Utility Set, 4 Ice Utility Set, 5 Tech Utility Set, 6 Magic Utility Set

Skills/Perks/Talents: 1 Patriot Set, 2 Playboy Set, 3 Investigator Set, 4 Tactician Set, 5 Spy Set, 6 Acrobatics

Characteristic Sets:

The Nimbleness Set and Health and Intellect Set are detailed in Champions Universe. The Light Set, below, sacrifices a bit of power for higher END and REC.

Light Set

+13 DEX, +8 CON, +4 BODY, +5 INT, +3 EGO, +6 PRE, +2 COM, +4 PD, +2 ED, +1.7 SPEED, +6 REC, +14 END, +2 STUN

Note: I'm not really sure how these get bought. For my stats above, I've givens the bonuses to the STATS; these bonuses include any bonus to figured characteristics. If you want to go by points, for the figured characteristics, I spent: PD +4, ED +2, SPD +17, REC +12, END +7, STUN +2. The primary characteristics should be obvious.

Primary Power Sets:

The Telekinetic Set and the Telepathic Set are given in Champions. I think they do a very decent Controller. The following four power sets are by me, let me know what you think. Each primary power set is 100 CP.

The idea behind a controller, btw, is to mess with the enemy and make it easier for the primary damage dealers to do their thing. Any comments on the efficiency and usefulness of these power sets is much appreciated.

I'm going to post these seperately for easy editing later.

Fire Control

Pts	Power Description				A.P.A.	L	n.a.P.A	Base Pts.	END
60	Fire Control: Multipower, 60 point reserve							60	6
6	(u) Fire Ring: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF, PLUS Flame Damage: 1d6 NND (LS: Immune to Heat), Continous					9		60	6
4	(u) Fiery Punch: +8d6 HtH attack, 0 END					9		40	4
6	(u) Fiery Ground: Change Environment, 3” radius, -2” Running, PLUS Smoke Inhalation, 1d6 NND (LS: Doesn't breath or LS: Immune to gases), Continuous					9		60	6
6	(u) Gouts of Solid Flame: TK 60 STR, Only to Push Away (-1/2), PLUS 4d6 EB					9		60	6
6	(u) Cone of Fire: 8d6 EB, AoE Cone (5”), ½ END, No Range					9		60	4
6	(u) Burst: Flash 6d6, AoE (3” radius)					9		60	6
6	(u) Flames of Doom: Mind Control 10d6, AoE 5” radius, only to cause Panic/Run Away (-1), ½ END					9		56	5.6

Re: Random Superpowers: The Contoller

Ice Control:

60	Ice Control: Multipower, 60 point reserve							60	6
6	(u) Ice Bonds: Entangle, 6d6 6 DEF					9		60	6
4	(u) Sudden Freeze: 2d6 NND (LS: Immune to Cold), AoE 2” radius, Continuous, ½ END				3.25	9		10	4.25
6	(u) Snow Chains Required: Change Environment, 4” Radius, -3 DEX roll to stay upright, -4” Running					9		60	6
6	(u) Icicle: 8d6 EB, Armor Piercing				0.5	9		40	6
6	(u) Snow Blind: Darkness to Sight and Infrared, 3” radius					9		60	6
5	(u) Wall of Ice: Force Wall 12 PD/8 ED, 6” width, 4 continuing charges (1 minute, i.e. 5 turns)					10		60	6
6	(u) Freezing Temperatures: Drain DEX, 6d6					9		60	6
1	+2 COM							1	0.1

Magic Control:

60	Magical Controller – Multipower, 60 point reserve							60	6
6	Weariness: Drain Speed, 3d6, Ranged, No Range Modifier					9		60	6
6	Mystic Blast: 8d6 EB, AoE 4”, 6 charges					9		60	6
6	Big Magic Hand: TK 40 STR, No Range Modifier				0.5	9		40	6
6	Mass Hold: Entangle 3d6, AoE				1	9		30	6
6	Heck Fire: Flash, 6d6, No Range Modifier, One Hex Accurate					9		60	6
4	Sleep Spell: Entangle 2d6, BOECV, 					9		40	4
6	Weariness II: Drain STR, 4d6, Ranged				0.5	9		40	6

Tech Control:

60	Tech Control: Multipower, 60 point reserve							60	6
6	Glue Gun: 6d6 Entangle					9		60	6
6	Sticky Stuff: Change Environment 6” radius, -6” Running					9		60	6
6	Insert Techno-babble Here: Suppress Flight, 8d6, 0 END				0.5	9		40	6
6	Hyper Modular Something: Suppress Force Field: 12d6					9		60	6
6	Bang: Flash 6d6, AOE 6” radius				1	9		30	6
4	Spy Drone: Clairsentience: Sight and Hearing, x4 Range					9		40	4
6	Thump Gun: EB 8d6, Explosion				0.5	9		40	6

I also added some "utility" secondary power sets to go along with the primary ones. They're named the same and I kinda intended them to be used with the primary power set of the same name. However, if you want truly random, you can always roll 'em up, instead of pick 'em.

All of the Secondary Power sets below are 75 points each.

Fire Utility:

20	Fire Utilities: Environmental Control, 40 point powers							20	2
20	(1) Fiery Flight: Flight 16”, Reduced END (½ END) (+1/2)							20	2
20	(2) Body of Fire: Force Field 11 PD/15 ED, Reduced END (0 END) (+1/2)							20	2
7	Body of Fire 2: +10 STR, no figured characteristics					0.5		10	1
7	Reduced END (0 END)  on up to 20 points of STR					0.5		10	1
1	+1 STUN							1	0.1

Ice Utility:

20	Ice Utilities – Environmental Control, 40 point powers							20	2
20	(1) Ice Armor – Force Field 18 PD/14 ED, Reduced END (½ END) (+1/2)							20	2
16	(2) Ice Sliding – +11” Running, Usable as Gliding (+1/4), Reduced END (0 END) (+1/2), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)					0.25		20	2
2	LS: Safe in Extreme Cold							2	0.2
6	+2 OCV with one Multipwer (or 3 separate powers (not frameworks), player's choice)							6	0.6
3	Reduced END on 6” of Running (0 END)							3	0.3
3	Body of Ice: Power Defense, 3 points							3	0.3
5	Eyes of Ice: Flash Defense, 5 points							5	0.5

Magic Utility:

15	Magical Utilities: Environmental Control 15 pts.							15	1.5
15	(1) Shadow Step: Teleport 15”							15	1.5
15	(2) Mystic Protection: Force Field 10 PD/ 10 ED, 0 END							15	1.5
10	Superior Mind: Mental Defense: 10 pts.							10	1
5	Master of the Known Multiverse: 5 points Power Defense							5	0.5
3	Magesense: Detect Magic 13-; Concentration (0 DCV)							3	0.3
7	Sight of the Magi: X-ray vision, Requires a Skill Roll: Magic or related skill (player's choice) (-1/2)					0.5		10	1
3	Sight of the Magi II: Nightvision, Requires a Skill Roll: Magic or related skill (player's choice) (-1/2)					0.5		5	0.5
2	Pretty Spry for an Old Guy: +1 Running							2	0.2

Tech Utility:

15	Tech Utility – Environmental Control, 30 points							15	1.5
15	(1) Personal Force Field – Force Field 12 PD/12 ED, Reduced END (½ END) (+1/4)							15	1.5
15	(2) Anti-Gravity Flight – Flight 10”, Reduced END (0 END) (+1/2)							15	1.5
15	(3) Tissue Repair – Healing 3d6							15	1.5
10	Respirator: Life Support: Self Contained Breathing							10	1
5	Goggles: Flash Defense 5 points							5	0.5

Right, well that's kinda the point. There's a lot of new gamers who are more familiar with the MMORPG aspect of the genre than those of us raised on comics. So that's who I'm targeting.

Off hand, I think Archangel was ret-conned as a healer. The young one, with the X-Men.

I can't think of any buffers off the top of my head. I don't know if they would work (at all) for a RPG. The problem is that everyone buys up to the campaign max anyway, so what could a buffer really do, assuming he was limited by the campaign max still. Using a lower campaign max, and higher power foes, just to make the buffer useful, or even necessary, seems pretty lame. (It was lame in EQ.)

Controller, usually some mental guy. (In CoH, my controller was Mr. Mental :)). Anyone who can take control of an enemy and do something else with them, or who has the power to cloud men's minds. So Charles Xavier of the X-Men or The Shadow. Also, Xavier would sometimes "buff" his students, using his telepathy to coordinate their teamwork or help them (or even force them) with some task.

That was an off the cuff answer, I hope it helps somewhat.

Can't think of any superhero buffers either, and the only healers that come to mind (Besides Angel) are Raven, and Flash, kinda sorta (Can speed up someone else's metabolism to make them naturally heal faster).

I agree with you about buffers in a power-capped game. Maybe a buffer that has a host of powers, Usable On Others, to cover esoteric abilities that his teamates don't normally have? He'd be the equivilant of the AD&D wizard who casts Water Breathing, Protection From Normal Missles, and Fly on all the party members...

That's a good thought--buffers add capabilities that no one has.

In most super hero settings however, such a buffer usually has a suite of offensive and defensive abilities, plus one or two buffs. A character like Charles Xavier is the rare exception. He doesn't really have a large defense, and he also doesn't regularily fight with the team either.

So let's say a super hero name "Star Seer" from another galaxy has innate toughness, a force field to protect himself further, and can throw bolts of cosmic energy at his enemies. Also, he can extend his force field to engulf others, allowing them to fly (with him) and he can also take people safely on FTL flights. So there's a couple of buffs, but Star Seer is still pretty darn competant on his own.

Whereas the EQ model (and City of Heroes) is more to remove the ability of buffers, healers, and controllers to do damage directly, and make them rely far too much on their teammates.

I really don't think the EQ model (I call it the EQ model because I think EQ came up with it first) is the best. I think it's actually kinda poor for both CRPGs and FTF RPGs, but I think it might still be useful to allow a new player to choose a familiar archetype, if they want to.

One who buffs.

A buffer can use their powers to enhance the abilities of others.

Ah... they're not really a major archetype though are they? I don't recall seeing any hero who's main schtick was to do nothing but boost the abilities of others. Most who can do boosting like that also use it on themselves and then get some action, and their archetype would be whatever it is they boost, be it STR and defenses (brick), ranged attacks (energy projector), DEX & SPD (martial artist), etc.

Hi all, I just got my copy of Champions Universe, and after finishing my first quick read through I'm loving it :love:.

However, I did notice a little issue with the Random Superpowers section. This would be an excellent starting point for many new players. But there seems to be several Archetypes missing from the line up. Archetypes like Controller, Buffer, and Healer are pretty familiar to most players and would be a good addition to the existing Archetypes.

Hmm, I'm thinking you may have Champions Universe and Champions confused. Champions has the Quick Superhuman Generator (p.81-93) in it.

As for the "controller" archetype you mention, that just seems a spin off of the Energy Projector (which is fine for your own campaigns, but I don't feel it necessary to include with what has been provided). Regarding the "buffer" and "healer" those aren't really comic genre archetypes; HERO and Champions aren't really meant to simulate MMORPGs.

Having stated that, even in Champions it states "players are not required to base their characters around the classic comic book archetypes." (p. 80)

YMMV

Most who can do boosting like that also use it on themselves and then get some action' date=' and their archetype would be whatever it is they boost, be it STR and defenses (brick), ranged attacks (energy projector), DEX & SPD (martial artist), etc.[/quote']

As gojira said:

Also, he can extend his force field to engulf others, allowing them to fly (with him) and he can also take people safely on FTL flights.

Oops, didn't read the whole thread. In no particular order:

1. Right, Champions is correct. I actually have C25, so I got confuzelled where the random power were. Thanks for the correction.

2. These aren't comic archetypes. What I am seeing, is that the MMORPG archetypes are invading the comics. As reader become familiar with these ideas, they come to expect them in the comics as well. Boosting Angel to Cleric I feel is a direct result of this trend. I don't really feel it's better, myself, but one must move with the times.

3. Yes, one can always invent one's own stuff. HERO, being a point based system, encourages that at every turn. If Darren, Steve and co. don't want to make these official, that's fine. Even if this eventually goes in the Free Stuff section, I'd be really jazzed. Free should not mean poor quality, however, so I'd like to spiff these up to the point where they could go into the Champions books. Hence the request for feedback.

What I'm getting so far feedback-wise is mostly "meh" or "eh?" :D

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Right now, these sets take a lot of time to do. I'd still have to go over them again, at least once, because they are a first pass. I've got a post on the thread in the Hero Discussion forum on converting CoH to Hero System that gives some thoughts about a Tanker. I'm a bit more interested in that direction right now. Converting CoH stuff to Hero System might actually have a bigger audience right now than "generic controller."

What I'd really like is for someone who wants to play a controller in Hero System to give these a look and offer some feedback. These sets are not straight conversions of the book ones, but they are pretty vanilla. I could use some thoughts for interesting powers.

Anyhoo, thanks again, and I hope someone uses these eventually.