The Tech of Torchwood

Michael Hopcroft

Well, I managed to get my grubby little hands on the first two episodes of Torchwood, and from what I've seen the Instute has gotten its hands on some rather odd tech. I'd lke to see how some of it would be modeled.

Min you, some of it is of dubious utility, such as:

The Glove of Temporary Resurrection: By cradling a freshly-dead person's ead in this glove, you can stimulate their brain to make them at least partially alive again and capable of speech, hearing and sight -- but it onl;y lasts two minutes, and you don't get a second chance. The Torchwood people thought it would be a great way to gain information from victims of violent death. Unfortunately, the mental state of the revived is almost always so panicked that it's impossible for them to concentrate well enough to give you anything useful.

Re: The Tech of Torchwood

The spray that makes one instantly sexually irresistible to a member of the opposite sex (or indeed to the same sex) is probably more useful. I imagine that Captain Jack fell into a cauldron of the stuff as a baby. The small scanning device is interesting too, since it can copy the text of a novel without opening the book... but what was it actually designed for? One thing I like about Torchwood is that most of the alien technology is only partially understood, so they're using items without having a clear idea of the limitations or potential problems.

The series is looking good (sorry for those of you outside of BBC Three range, but hopefully you'll get it shortly), although anyone hoping to stat Captain Jack is going to have to keep watching. We learn a little bit more about him, but clearly the full story is intended to be an ongoing mystery.

The Glove of Temporary Ressurection is easy enough to model. It's a Summon with the limits that there's no contest of EGO to control the spirit and that the spirit leaves after two minutes. Alternatively, thr contest of EGO could be swapped with a contest of Conversation Skill vs EGO.

Sounds like a good show.

The spray that makes one instantly sexually irresistible to a member of the opposite sex (or indeed to the same sex) is probably more useful. I imagine that Captain Jack fell into a cauldron of the stuff as a baby.

No need: it's probably entwined in his DNA to a somewhat lesser degree (Rose certainly found him attractive, but I'm pretty sure they did not do the horizontal bop -- she was still committed to her boyfriend back home, and he found Jack fairly annoying.)

I'd say the glove has a side effect of addiction as well. Either that or the people who generally work for Torchwood tend to be psych-evaluated as "susceptible to being corrupted by power in the form of new toys".

Actually - it looks like Jack is the only one not that corruptible.

How would you do a power that could induce another to succumb to the Users sexual advances willingly and without regret afterwards?

Because of most of the crazy restrictions on standard Mind Control (particularly the victim know they've been mind controlled if the power is successful) I think it'd be very hard to duplicate short of a Transform.

TB

How would you do a power that could induce another to succumb to the Users sexual advances willingly and without regret afterwards?

Because of most of the crazy restrictions on standard Mind Control (particularly the victim know they've been mind controlled if the power is successful) I think it'd be very hard to duplicate short of a Transform.

TB

Seduction 25 or less, OAF:Spray Bottle, Gestures (must spray self). An extraordinary skill roll is still 15-, meaning that you can instantly seduce pretty much anyone who doesn't have strong will power or serious psych limits to help them out in the contest of skill vs EGO.