Ideas for Super/ stupid character

ZootSoot

Faster than a speeding bullet . . .

More powerful than a locomotive . . .

Smarter than the average bear?

Look, I know the big dumb brick has been done to death, but my idea is a guy who succeeds because he is stupid. A character who makes the biggest blunders and wins because of them, a la Shaggy and Scooby, Hong Kong Fuey, etc , , , Any ideas of what sort of powers this guy should have (not necessarily cartoony but powers that simulate him being successful because he follows his stupdest ideas to their conclusion)?

Yes, Luck is the obvious one, but maybe what you describe merits a little something else.

How about powers that have some kind of delayed effect, to simulate "oh, it looked like he missed but the villain slipped on a banana skin and knocked himself out on a wall"? It's a special effect of the punch. Depending on the GM (is it you?), you might get away without Indirect on the power.

Thinking about it a little more, perhaps you character should have Variable Advantages and Variable Limitations on his STR. For example, one time a punch functions as above, another it brings down the ceiling and has an Area of Effect, or you hit the opponent into a revolving door and the attack becomes Autofire.

Other Limitations could be Extra Time, Activation, Requires a Skill Roll (perhaps you should have this as the main Limitation - Requires a Luck Roll), or Requires Appropriate Location Features (-1/2?). The last is to simulate the fact that you need a sausage machine, automated printing press or revolving door to get Autofire, but a side effect of his Luck might be that there is always something around which can help (in a forest, perhaps the villain is clobbered by logs falling on him - on a desert island, he bangs into a tree and five coconuts fall out and whack him).

Side Effects - collateral damage might be worth considering, now I've re-read my post. Let us know what you go for; this is an interesting power.

A variation would be a VPP of some sort (or perhaps a Multipower to keep in simpler) and this would allow you to have energy attacks too, eg accidentally rupturing a gas main and having an Explosion, or bringing down power lines for an electric EB or RKA.

I think I'd start off with not just Luck itself, but at least a few of the Luck Powers from the USPD (pages 129-132), mostly with the "Uncontrollable" options.

For the specific effect you're looking at, I think I'd go with 10 Overall Skill Levels, with all the appropriate Limitations (such as No Conscious Control) to simulate the character's lack of control over exactly how things work. The levels could then apply to combat maneuvers, Tactics, Stealth, Persuasion, or anything else, and kick in whenever the character misses a Skill Roll but really needs the success.

Damage reduction

Damage reduction could be appropriate, because he's "too dumb to know he's hurt". I would not buy it resistant, because killing attacks tend to reflect damaging, killing attacks.

You could use the same justification for massive STUN or END.

How about a high inteligence... no realy... with the disad No Conscious Control -1. That way he accidentaly figures stuff out. Like the wall of buttons, one of which deactivates the doomsday device. After trying everything he starts to think he can't possibly succeed. "Wall...of...buttons ....too....big." He drops his head in shame and smacks his forehead on the right button.

Ok well it seemed funny at first.