Steampunk fantasy?

tkdguy

I know this subject has come up before, but it was mainly a mix of rubber science and magic. I'm thinking about completely removing magic in favor of rubber science (mostly clockwork, but a few steam-powered gadgets). It would still be set in the Middle Ages or early Renaissance. I'd probably base a lot of tech from the ideas of Da Vinci. Personal weaponry would still be regular medieval weapons.

This probably wouldn't be our world, so I can include demi-humans. I'm using that term instead of nonhumans because they'd be evolutionary offshoots of the human race as opposed to being different species altogether.

What do you guys think?

Re: Steampunk fantasy?

I'm loathe to suggest it, but definately pick up all of the 3rd/3.5 edition d20 Ravenloft campaign books, specifically:

Van Richten's Arsenal - lots of clockwork & alchemy, and "low level" spells that can be easily adapted. They have a really great feel for what goes into that particular setting. Really, ANY of those books will give you a 'glimpse in the life' as well as plenty of seed material.