Inverted Hulk Type - Need Help with Limitation Value

The Main Man

One day while working I came up with a character idea that I just had to make.

He is the opposite of the Hulk - the more scared/intense he gets, the faster he can move.

I have basically built this with capped super-speed powers and not actually using Succor powers even though I did initially build him like so but decided that he just gets so progressively faster that it's just like the Flash tapping into the Speed Force.

For starters it is pretty obvious that he would have OIHID (-1/4), but I wanted to add an extra dimension to him: His x" of movement is based on fear-based PRE attacks against him.

For example, if a villain did PRE (10) +20 he could use 20" of his total, or if the villain just managed to affect him with a 10, then he wouldn't be afraid enough to warrant his powers activating. This creates a strange situation involving PRE attacks; should the bad guy try to scare him to make his point, or be tender and possibly fail because of his teammates?

So the question is what would the value of Movement Is Based On Fear-Based Presence Attacks be worth?

Re: Inverted Hulk Type - Need Help with Limitation Value

That's tough because it's also an Advantage since he can go further when he may need to get away. Also, nothing compulses him to use the movement either way, necessarily. So basically he's in a "please scare me" mode.

But of course it will only apply in these situations. Given it has some utility, I'd probably only go +1/4 to +1/2 unless you think it's not going to come up much (your write-up made it sound like it might), then probably +1/2 to even +1. Depends a lot on how prevalent these attacks are likely to be. How long does he have the increased movement for? That also matters.

In any game I've played, I would urge the character away from this build. We just don't use PRE Attacks enough. The heroes are just that, heroes, so they are not going to run screaming into the night because someone yells "BOO!"

Unless there are lots of additional dice for environment (eg tearing a tank in half, etc) it's just not worth the time to roll the dice.

Because of that, this power would almost never get turned on.

As an alternative, I would offer a partially limited power that kicked in at one spot each on the time chart. This could represent him juicing up in some manner.

I agree with Rapier - this isn't Heroic; it's buildable, but because you can doesn't mean you should. In this case, as DM, I would rule it down. Simply because it's not heroic, and it isn't even all that dramatic. "EEK! The fight! RUN!" Where's the heroism? Sure, I suppose if you wanted to install a Threshold (get X scared, be able to run Y distance over Z time) you could do that, but it sounds like a whole lot of work when it would make more sense to say (if you were to build it) -

Extra SPD, Only While Frightened (Character must have a successful PRE attack used against him by a villain or clear adversary; -1). The build is designed to keep PCs from saying "Oh, and yeah, I scare Bob. Okay Bob, now that my Tactical Character has scared the EVER LOVING CRAP out of your character, go ahead and use that 9 SPD of yours to win the fight).

Another way to do this is like so:

Aid SPD +2d6, Only if character is affected by a PRE attack of 10 or less

Aid SPD +4d6, yadda yadda 20 or less

Aid SPD +6d6, yadda yadda 30 or less

Where each increment is an increased value because it's increasingly less likely to occur, and each also containing the same caveat. Now if you're going for something a little more light hearted, and you put Howling Mad Murdock in the same party with BA Barracus, then there you go - BA can always scare Murdock, it's a power he has almost. But you don't want everyone doing it, it makes the power too easily abusable.

I could go on, but you get the gist, I'm sure.

While The Incredible Cur is a facinating concept, I agree it's not at all heroic. What good is a character who's powers only work when he's running away or cowering in fear? Maybe The Hysterical Blur would be better, relying on adrenaline rushes which can be caused by a number of emotional states, including fear, excitement, love, and even strenuous physical activity.

First, PRE attacks are frequent enough in my group that this character would be usable.

Second, what I have built for the character previous to posting but I did not think that it would bear stating is that he does have Code Of The HERO to contend with a Dependence on Fear/Intensity that makes him lose Active Points as he goes along.

That's actually a good point now that you mention it.

Maybe an END Reserve with Limited Recovery (Must have Fear-Based Presence attacks directed at him) and then buy extra PRE that makes it so that he doesn't actually run away; I'm going for a Scooby Doo/Courage the Cowardly Dog effect in that while they are scared they still face their fears and are heroic.

That's kind of different than what I pulled out of it originally. If you want to do that, then I recommend doing it as recoverable charges instead of an END reserve, where a single Charge recovers every time the character is 'facing down a fear' or is 'fearful' etc.

So, up to 4 times a day (recoverable under specific circumstances, character must overcome a Fear or be victimized by a successful PRE attack) he can use "Fight of Flight" and turn his nervous energy into a whirlwind of action. Now, instead of shaking in his terrestrial boots, he's ready to r0xx0r.

If you really want to simulate the genre, you convert it to only 1 Charge, Recoverable - in other words, he'll only ever use the power when he's been frightened/facing a fear, because at the time the charge pings, the power is probably needed.

That's actually a good point now that you mention it.

Maybe an END Reserve with Limited Recovery (Must have Fear-Based Presence attacks directed at him) and then buy extra PRE that makes it so that he doesn't actually run away; I'm going for a Scooby Doo/Courage the Cowardly Dog effect in that while they are scared they still face their fears and are heroic.

That sounds more like good role-playing than any kind of game mechanic. If anything, you might want to give the character DF: Coward because he's so obvioulsy jumpy and fearful of everything, even though he actually stands in his shaking boots up to everything (well, everything that doesn't actually make is run screaming like a girl).

I think that the Absorb PRE is a good idea, but a little left field. However, it certainly represents the idea. :think: Meh, it's DM call, at the end of the day. Depending on feel would determine which would work; Absorb is actually really good because anything that goes over the PCs ability to soak stands as a PRE attack, but it requires more RP from the PC.

Possibly with the lim: "Character still takes full effect from PRE attack, -1/2."

I think that the Absorb PRE is a good idea, but a little left field. However, it certainly represents the idea. :think: Meh, it's DM call, at the end of the day. Depending on feel would determine which would work; Absorb is actually really good because anything that goes over the PCs ability to soak stands as a PRE attack, but it requires more RP from the PC.

Possibly with the lim: "Character still takes full effect from PRE attack, -1/2."

Absorption doesn't "soak" damage. You still take full effect from the damage you absorb.

That's broken & wrong. It should. Having re-read the rules, I concede (by force of the facts telling me I must) the point. In which case it works exactly as I had originally envisioned it! GO ME!

(And the men cheered, the women swooned, the children waved multi-colored banners, and the band played appropriate music).