Character concept: Mecha

Mark Rand

I came up with this incomplete idea today.

It's for a four-color campaign set in, more or less, Pittsburgh in the CU. The heroine below is part of a team.

A young woman who was a painter and freelance commercial artist, (skills at 14-), as well as a fan of mecha anime (KS: mecha anime 14-), was out on a hike one day when something small and metalic caught her eyes. She bent and picked it up, only to have it burst in her hand.

The next morning, waking up from a nightmare, she found herself in an armor that looked like it was a composite of various mecha and promptly fainted. When she woke up again, she was normal. She has done some practicing in the woods, but is still a novice.

Here is what I have on it so far.

Body components: head from Vehicle Voltron, center torso from Lion Force Voltron, left arm and torso from Raideen, generic legs.

Powers: full life support, subsonic flight, enhansed senses (including two-way radio), body armor, eye beams, energy sword, bow & arrow in left arm, 30 STR TK from chest cross, STR of heroine in armor is 30, unarmored stats are that of a skilled normal.

Re: Character concept: Mecha

I'm not sure what input you're looking for?

If it's my character or a PC in a campaign I run (which, of course, it isn't so YMMV), I'd try to get a technological origin for the armor. The way you have it sounds a lot like Darkhawk (who I just read about here), and that never really set right with me.

However, as far as the power set goes, it sounds very cool, and everybody likes giant transforming robot girls.

I'm not sure what input you're looking for?

If it's my character or a PC in a campaign I run (which, of course, it isn't so YMMV), I'd try to get a technological origin for the armor. The way you have it sounds a lot like Darkhawk (who I just read about here), and that never really set right with me.

However, as far as the power set goes, it sounds very cool, and everybody likes giant transforming robot girls.

I'm hoping to get suggestions about what mecha should be the sourse of her right arm and what additional powers the armor should have.

The small metalic object could have been a source of nanoprobes that were keyed to respond to someone who had the right "mental stuff" and create a set of superhero armor from their minds.

The lady in the armor is about 5'6" tall and, due to the shape of the helmet, her armored form is 6' tall. I might also give it a metalic, robot-like voice.

Right Arm? Heh. Why not take it from the second-largest mecha I know of? "Daedelus" was the name of said arm. As for powers? Base it off of "the Daedelus Attack" and make it a mini-missile launcher.

I take it that the "mecha" you are thinking of is the SDF-1.

Let's see, an extra 2D6 strength for punching, a neuro-stunner, and the mini-missile launcher could hold four knockout missiles of some kind, maybe sleep gas or flash-bangs.

Right Arm? Heh. Why not take it from the second-largest mecha I know of? "Daedelus" was the name of said arm. As for powers? Base it off of "the Daedelus Attack" and make it a mini-missile launcher.

And the largest mecha you know of would be?

Hmmm...Mecha weapons just on the right arm, eh?

All I can come up with are HtH Attacks with varying changes- since I see you already have melee weapons.

Gundam Wing Eypon has that flail, the Heat Rod. You could model as Stretching+Hand to Hand Attack, possibly with an Entangle option.

The Super Robot Wars Gespenst production line has the Jet Magnum, where a trio of plasma stacks fire on the arm, propelling the mech forward for a powerful strike. (Movement+Hand attack, only for move-by.)

But, keeping with the old school, you might want to go with an arm from Getter Robo 1.

Getter Tomahawk/Tomahawk Boomerang: (Total: 80 Active Cost, 46 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (2d6+1 w/STR), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Ranged (+1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1) (Real Cost: 30) plus +20 PRE (20 Active Points); Incantations: "GETTA TOMAHAAAWKU!" (-1/4) (Real Cost: 16)

Heck, I know I'd be intimidated by someone in a metal battlesuit pitching a giant axe at my head while spontaneously developing an accent.

Quoting Mecha, "I chose my name because my armor looks like it's a human-sized version of several anime mecha. My head's from Vehicle Voltron, my center torso's from Lion Force Voltron, my right arm and torso are from the SDF-1 in Robotech: the Macross Saga, my left arm and torso are from Raideen, and I don't know which mecha my legs and feet came from."

*blank stare*

That's what I get for trying to respond to a forum and take notes on something else at the same time. Apologies.

*writes "Read original poster more carefully" on his forehead backwards in black sharpie*

Now that that's out of the way, maybe the legs from an Aestevalis from Martian Successor Nadescio? Clean lines, functional, wheels in the bottom for high NCM Running...

Mark Rand: Who says you have to do anything with the right arm? The left arm has the bow which can be built in. The right arm needs to be free to draw and fire the bow. Having a Daedelus-style right arm would effectively leave you fingerless (and gain a character disadvantage, No Right Hand). Plus in mecha history, swords are in the right hand unless the blade is built-in. I can see a retractiable weapon like Robocop's data-spike.

Trained Chicken: "The way you have it sounds a lot like Darkhawk, and that never really set right with me." Out of curiousity, what doesn't sit right with you, Darkhawk himself or the similarities between him and this character? (I'm a Darkhawk fan.)

Weldun: Actually there are three other Unicron-sized Transformers (making SDF-1 the fifth largest mecha). Omega Prime and Starscreen both grew to planet-size in Transformers Superlink (Energon) and Galaxy Force (Cybertron) respectively. Also in Galaxy Force, Cybertron itself transformed into Primus.

Galaxy Force prime has pretty good legs. They're thick, have a wheel and each one has gun at the knee and when combined with Sonic Bomber has another gun attached at the ankle.

I'm also a Darkhawk fan, but reading your description made me first think of The Guyver. A young martial artist falls face first on an alien gadget, it bonds to him and clads him in alien bio-armor.

You might add some martial arts to your list of abilities. It seems that almost everyone in anime knows kung fu.

Do you plan on having any appendages detac, fly about and act as cameras or mobile weapons? A flying fist, a drone popping off of your back and hovering around or your swords flying and fighting without you holding it.

Believe it or not, I've seen only Voltron, Robotech, Tranzor Z(an edited version of Mazinger Z), and Battletech. Additionally, I've played Battletech/Mechwarrior and have most of the Marvel Shogun Warrior comics.

As far as the right arm goes, it has a hand. The missile pods and neuro-stunner are in a wrist housing.

I found an interesting character on the Red October board. Here's the URL: http://www.mactyre.net/october/charctrs/ACES.html.

I'm considering using this as the basis for a federally-operated pilot program providing specialized powered-armor to selected law enforcement agencies.

In such case, Mecha would be a conventional suit of powered armor colored like the Lion-force Voltron. Of the weapons, the only ones the pilot's been able to use are eye beams, electroforce cross, spinning laser blades (which she calls solar stars, the Vehicle Voltron name for them), and blazing sword.

Since the armor's human-sized, all weapons do human-scale damage.