WWYCD: Fuel for the fire

Zed-F

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: WWYCD: Fuel for the fire

If it were the much more squishy and considerably less indestructable Great Beyond' date=' I'd probably wander away from the table and go play on the computer. Frankly these binary yes/no situations dont fly well with me. "Kill the folks clutched in the hand or thousands die!" I prefer my moral choices to be a litte more open ended and allow creative thought.[/quote']

It wasn't really intended to be a binary solution set. When people have posted workable ideas to get around the problem, I've tried to encourage that by recognizing them. Things got out of hand when someone started off assuming they could get around the problem by exercising their character's super-intellect, without giving any specific ideas how. I wanted specifics, but I could have handled that better to avoid a blow-up.

Man, I haven't seen a WWYCD with a more appropriate title.

Yeah. :( I should have phrased the question differently, or else not posted it at all -- I really didn't intend to renew an old flame war, but apparently the way I phrased it is too railroady for some folks, even though the original situation I based it off of came up almost completely spontaneously in play.

I dunno Meta, I think this guy had a pretty valid point about it being on the GM:

I think you've asked the wrong question. The right question is "DTGMFU?". I think he did. Why are bystanders standing around in arms reach of the Purple People Eater as he brawls with the Thing? Why is someone who is winning the fight taking hostages or alternatively why is someone who is involved in a fight taking meals? Even if the Thing's attacks are ineffective at actually doing damage, they should still be distracting.

All of my characters, with the exception of Pinstripe, would attempt to find another option, or to change the circumstances so that the odds are more favorable. This is a really rail-roady type scenario, though. There are very few good options. My characters would all opt for saving as many as they could instead of frying all of them to get the bad guy. There's no good answer to this question, which is realistic, but not very fun. However, Torch has been able to absorb flame and heat - on an interdimensional scale - as well as project it. Without seeing the write up for the character, but going off the torch in the comics, he might be able to ignite the creature, but keep the flame from spreading - using a heroic level of power and falling unconscious after saving the day, of course. Mechanically it might be an MPA using EB and Supress with a Power Skill roll. On the other hand, Pinstripe would have few qualms about nuking him. He's a raving psychotic who was designed for a "vigilantes over the edge" game, and has always been a big proponent of "shoot the hostage - in the head." After all, it makes for a hell of a presence attack.

The Shadow III: (Yeah, I know, not an original bone in my body). Play head games with the creature to keep it here, and keep it focused on me, so the team has time to regroup and figure out a new plan, and maybe even get it to let go of some or even all of it's hostages (and maybe replace them with a team member who could take the damage when one or several of the team members "take the shot").

• 8 months later...

Faye happens to know enough chemistry to know that contrary to popular belief' date=' gasoline doesn't ignite easily, and is very hard to make explode. So she'd hit the bug with the equivalent of a welding torch: A hot, short, very tightly focussed jet to ignite the gasoline on its back. With any luck at all, the bug will drop the hostages when it starts to feel the pain burning.[/quote']

Speaking as someone who was in the middle of a petrol (gasoline) fireball this morning and am currently bandaged up from scalp to fingertips, let me just say that it looked pretty damn close to an explosion to me.

Re: the actual scenario... Vitus's spells don't work. Annoying, but not worth risking experimentation until I understand the idiosyncrasies of the local magical environment. Then, wincing briefly at the thought of this "Human Torch" jumping off a building with a 'flame on' in my real body, flame up, yell at the beast to surrender right now, give at, say, one phase to oblige, and then define with practical demonstration the meaning of the word 'immolate'.

Afterwards, blackmail Richards to get me back into my own body or, clearly, they'll never get Johnny Storm back. Thus making the hole roasted civilians/alien psychopath in team-members body their problem.

Icestar would get a kick out of having fire powers as opposed to ice powers to start with....I think she would freeze up (no pun intended) when it comes time to make that decision though. She's a 16 year old girl who thinks being a superhero is all about fun and adventure, and I don't think she would be able to cope with knowing that whatever she decides, she's likely to be responsible for people dying.

Shooting Star would be unwilling to activate the flaming force field/damage shield power - it's way too close to her own uncontrolled plasma aura which badly burned her many times. So she'd have been knocked been by the first few hits without its defensive benefit.