Mister Silent and Doctor DiscorD

Doctor Agenda

Re: Mister Silent and Doctor DiscorD

Batman or Superman?

I'd say Superman, just because of his ideologies -- freedom and all that stuff. Plus, he was the first superhero I was introduced to. I used to hum his theme song when I was running around as a kid.

Lois Lane or Mary Jane?

Lois Lane seems more the powerful type, so I'm going to say Lois Lane. Mary Jane is always getting herself in trouble and needing to be rescued.

Huh?!? Superman is more about freedom and ideologies than Batman? And come on, Lois is the all-time queen of "getting herself in trouble and needing to be rescued". She is the archetype of DNPCs!

Nitpicking aside, I have wondered why we've never seen people doing this stuff before. Then I figured bullets, ineffectualness, unlikelihood of actually running across anything that needs heroic action without a scriptwriter to put it in your path, and maybe anti-mask laws probably explained it well enough. Helping the homeless and getting cats out of trees is great, but not things that are likely to be done better by a guy in costume than in civvies.

True, but finally the folks that like to dress up for conventions can get their money's worth out of their costumes....

Probably if these guys did foil a crime (and survived) they'd be hit with enough legal hassle to put them off it forever.

OTOH, if putting on a costume brings out the civic hero in someone, more power to them.

maybe anti-mask laws

Do you know if we have these already? With the increase in traffic cameras, I was wondering when / if people would start driving with their faces covered. People wear ski masks for the cold - not illegal, ... Just wondering.

True, but finally the folks that like to dress up for conventions can get their money's worth out of their costumes....

Probably if these guys did foil a crime (and survived) they'd be hit with enough legal hassle to put them off it forever.

Depends on the crime and how they foiled it. Remember that high school girl who stopped a supermarket holdup by pitching banana's at the thug while he was threatening the clerk? Witnesses to say the crime was in progress, no lethal force, and she didn't chase him when he ran; no legal hassles. Had she shot the crook or chased him into oncoming traffic things would have been tougher (though I think she still would have been legally in the clear).

Bernard Goetz was a different case, and was blanked over in the civil case. He did better in the criminal case; he served time for illegal weapons possession, not attempted murder, and might have avoided even that if he hadn't admitted intending to kill attackers whom he believed to be unarmed (Goetz stated to the police that he did not know his opponents were armed; the screwdrivers were not brandished during the attempted robbery).

As to these guys, they're street performers who're getting some publicity.

If you want to put on a uniform and be a hero, the fire department, police and military are all hiring.

If you want to put on a uniform and be a hero' date=' the fire department, police and military are all hiring.[/quote']

I thought part of the appeal in heroing was that each hero's costume was different? The three organizations you list want everyone to be recognizable interchangeably, not unique.

Do you know if we have these already? With the increase in traffic cameras' date=' I was wondering when / if people would start driving with their faces covered. People wear ski masks for the cold - not illegal, ... Just wondering.[/quote']

Forget traffic cameras, the increase of kids who take pictures on their cellphone cameras is posing an increasing danger to privacy worldwide.

I thought part of the appeal in heroing was that each hero's costume was different?

Being a Hero is about saving lives and protecting the weak from the evil strong. Wearing a unique costume is about the desire to stand out and be recognized. The two desires often go together, but they're not interchangeable.

Being a Hero is about saving lives and protecting the weak from the evil strong.

Whether the weak are good or evil, apparently.

Otherwise, how would you have all those plotlines where the good guys receive a distress call from their nemesis, who wants to be rescued from an even stronger evil person?

Wearing a unique costume is about the desire to stand out and be recognized. The two desires often go together, but they're not interchangeable.

Nor are they always present at the same time. You said "if you want to put on a uniform and be a hero", but it didn't fill in the holes left over from classifying Mister Silent and Doctor DiscorD as "street performers"; they could be heroes in the sense you gave, but not want to put on a uniform.

Do you know if we have these already? With the increase in traffic cameras' date=' I was wondering when / if people would start driving with their faces covered. People wear ski masks for the cold - not illegal, ... Just wondering.[/quote']

Google shows this for New York; I thought I'd heard about similar laws elsewhere. I didn't know New York's law only applied to groups of 3+ masked persons until I read this just now.

I'm reminded of Otherkin, people who consider themselves non-human i.e. elves, faeries, trolls, etc. I don't see this sort of thing being any less likely, even if this dynamic duo are just street performers. OTOH, I foresee tragic results when would-be superheroes meet real world crime.