New Spells for a New Player in a New Campaign

Manic Typist

Hello, fellow Herophiles. I have a completely new roleplayer (several, actually) for the new high fantasy campaign that I am starting, and so I will be designing all of his wizard's spells for him. As I do, I intend to post them for review and critique.

However, one spell has already given me pause. The player wants a spell that creates a vortex of wind that surrounds a target or perhaps a target area and pushes the target inwards towards the center and otherwise hindering their attempts to escape. At first, I thought this was an Entangle, but now I am not so sure. I mean, there is nothing to attack and do damage to. The target would escape in some sort of STR vs. STR contest, I would imagine.

Perhaps Telekinesis?

Another variant is that the player wants to be able to essentially place a trap which would emit a strong column of wind, several hexes, which would shoot out and blow for a specific period of time. If the target that triggered the trap collided with anything, they would take damage and likely be pinned. Anyone walking into the column, at any point in its length, would also be pushed until they ran beyond its range or were forced to a stop.

Would this also be Telekinesis?

Re: New Spells for a New Player in a New Campaign

That's what I'm thinking - for the first one I'd give it the Indirect and Area Effect advantages and the limitation "only to push into the centre"

For the second - an END reserve seems appropriate.

Or - you could make it a very low power EB with increased knockback.

Alright, I will go back and take a look at those sections.

Here are two spells that I have already drawn up:

1) Slick Ice Patch- Change Environement (create ice sheet) 1" radius, -4 all DEX rolls and related skills; Only Affects Targets Moving on the ground (-1/4), Requires Magic Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Side Effet: -4 Dex rolls and related skills (character's feet become encased in smooth ice, -1/4).

Active Cost: 17

Real Cost: 7

END: 2

Magic Roll Penalty: -2

Quick question: when the rules say it has a 1" radius, does that mean it covers just one hex, or it has a 1" radius from the edges of the center hex, in which case it would cover the central hex and all of the hexes immediately surrounding it?

2) Chains of Ice- 4d6 Entangle (hands and feet), +2 DEF; Vulnerable: Fire/Heat (-1), Requires Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4) Incantations (-1/4), Side Effect: Entangle affects caster instead of Target (-1/2).

Active Cost: 50

Real Cost: 14

END: 5

Magic Roll Penalty: -5

When I was reading the Entangle rules, I was a little unclear on one point. It says "1d6 Body, 1 DEF." Is that 1 DEF per d6, or 1 DEF for the Entangle as a whole, unless you buy extra DEF? I read it to mean 1 DEF per d6, which if this was true means that the above Entangle has a DEF of 6, correct?

1" Radius drawn from the center of the target hex...I believe.

Meaning that the area covered is effective 7 hexes, correct? The central hex, and the six hexes touching it, quiaff?

Teleportation question: the player wants to be able to teleport basically as far as his eye can see. Obviously, the distance he can see varies depending on his height. I am not adverse to this power, because it means he couldn't teleport from room to room, etc. I'm just confused as to how to best represent the vagaries of sight as the limitation for range. At first I was going to add the advantages of Ranged and Line of Sight to Teleportation, but then I thought that this wasn't appropriate. It would be if I was going to TARGET something to be teleported (assuming I also took the Usuable as Attack advantage), but not for the character to teleport himself.

Should I just cop out and Megascale it with some arbitrary number?

Two more spells:

1) Turbulent Winds- Change Environment: turbulent winds (1 STR Telekinesis), 4" radius; Requires Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), OAF (wizard's staff, -1) Side Effect: 2d6 Stun Drain (wizard is buffeted by winds, -1/4)

Active Cost: 15

Real Cost:5

END: 1

Magic Skill Roll Penalty: -1

The goal of this spell is to disrupt enemy projectiles such as arrows or crossbow bolts. Initially, I went with Missle Deflection, but as I worked I felt that Change Environment was more appropriate. The winds are supposed to cover a decent area, and there's no reason for why additional projectiles should have greater chances of penetrating the spell (unlike with Missile Deflection, for which the wizard would receive negatives for additional attacks).

Is 1 STR appropriate to deflect most common projectiles (arrows, knives, handaxes, etc?)

2) Breath of Fresh Air- Life Support: Self-Contained Breathing (globe of air), AoE: one hex (+1/2), Usuable as Attack (+1); Costs END (-1/2), Requires Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Does not work more than 2" underwater (-1/4), OAF (wizard's staff, -1), Side Effect: 2d6 Stun Drain (air is sucked from wizard's lungs, -1/4).

Active Cost: 25

Real Cost: 6

Magic Skill Roll Penalty: -2

This one is pretty straightforward. The wizard creates a globe of magical fresh air that replenishes itself. As long as he can pay the END, he can breathe. It's big enough for a couple of people to crowd in as well. Now, since it's UAA, the wizard would have to target say... his staff, in order for him to take advantage of the air? Of course, he could also target a traveling companion, and just stay close to him.

Alrighty, here are some more spells. Please feel free to point out problems or room for improvement.

Lighting Bolt

This spell calls down a bolt of lighting from the sky, regardless of the weather. This spell lacks subtlely, but makes up for it in terms of power and awe.

2d6 RKA (Lighting), Indirect (always comes from the sky, +1/4); Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), OAF: Wizard's Staff (-1), Requires Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Noisy (-1/4), Only works under open sky (-1/4) Side Effect: 2 1/2 d6 energy blast (-1/4).

Active Cost: 37

Real Cost: 10

END: 4

Magic Skill Roll Penalty: -4

Note: I'm considering increasing the value of Noisy to (-1/2) to reflect just how OBVIOUS this spell is, even from miles away. Thoughts?

Cold Snap

With this spell, the caster can freeze any group of target liquids within range of his spell. Effective for getting the attention of everyone in a tavern, or turning a watery blockade into an escape route.

Change Environment: freeze liquids (32"); Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), OAF: Wizard's Staff (-1), Requires Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Side Effect: 3d6 Entangle (-1/2).

Active Cost: 30

Real Cost: 8

END: 3

Magic Skill Roll Penalty: -3

Wind Pillar

The caster draws a simple rune on any flat surface (wall, floor, ceiling, etc). The next time that something passes within range of that circle, a strong column of air streams from the circle in a direct line, pushing anything caught in its path and possibly pinning them against any obstacles. This spell lasts until the magical energy stored within it is drained.

1d6 Energy Blast, Trigger (+1/2), Area of Effect: Line (+1), Continuous (+1), Trigger (+1/2), Double Knockback (+3/4); Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), OAF: drawn rune (-1), Requires Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Side Effect: 2d6 Energy Blast with Double Knockback (-1/4) (21 Active Points, 7 Real Points). PLUS: END Reserve: 20 END (Real/Active Cost: 2).

Active Cost: 23 (21 for attack, 2 for the END reserve)

Real Cost: 9

Magic Skill Roll Penalty: -2

Note: I'm a bit uncertain that I did the END reserve correctly. If I did however, the way it is modeled means that the spell will last for 10 Segments, correct? Or, does it only act at the SPD of the character who cast it?

Circle of Wind

The caster draws a circle on the ground. When something enters the circle, a powerful vortex of winds form that serve to push any and all towards the center until the spell ends or they manage to pull themselves beyond its boundries.

Telekiniesis: 20 STR, Area of Effect 3" Radius (+1), Trigger (+1/2); Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), OAF: drawn rune (-1), Requires Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Noisy (-1/4), Side Effect: attack centers on caster (-1), Only to push targets towards center (-1/2), Affects whole object (-1/4), Double END cost (-1/2).

Active Cost: 75

Real Cost: 14

END: 16

Magic Skill Roll Penalty: -8

Globe of Wind

The caster creates a small sphere of winds, which he hurls towards his target. It explodes over the head of its target, likely knocking down anyone nearby and causing temporary deafness from the howling winds unleashed. Good for groups of enemies and crowd control.

8d6 Energy Blast, Explosion (+1/2); Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), OAF: Wizard's Staff (-1), Requires Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Side Effect: spell centers on caster (-1) PLUS: 2d6 Flash to Hearing Group, Explosion (+1/2); Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), OAF: Wizard's Staff (-1), Requires Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Side Effect: spell centers on caster (-1).

Active Cost: 66

Real Cost: 18

END: 7

Magic Skill Roll Penalty: -7

Feedback is urgently requested.

In my campaign, noisy is usually only worth a 1/2 if it would cause Watched or Hunted re-roll. To qualify for a 1/4, it only has to be noticable as most AD&D spells. :rolleyes: YMMV

For Wind Pillar, END is only taking on the phases of the caster and damage only happens on those phases (plus the phase that someone enters the effect if it was an offphase). Personally, I think the END Reserve should have Charges on it. Unless you want someone using a variant of this spell to make perpetually-powered sailboats. Not neccessarily a bad thing, but something to think about.

1" Hex Radius

The book actually states that this is just one hex (and generally rounds down). However, sometimes you have to go with the dramatic sense and play balance. :sneaky:

Breath of Fresh Air

Our group has always allowed Usuable by Others (rather than Usuable as Attack) on Life Support. Passively, you are accepting the Life Support, although you could always resist if you are conscious enough to. Although it does mean that unconscious water breathers can slowly drown by a rather cheap Life Support spell, usually this isn't a big play balance issue. After all, water breathers can drown most humans simply by pulling them underwater.

+1 Usuable by Others can support 8 people which is hard to fit in one hex.

Teleport

Adjustable Megascale is an excellent way to do "line of sight" teleport. Without a Floating or Fixed Location (or blowing the magic roll), you can be several hexes away. On a 1" hex = 10 kilometers scale, you could be off by several kilometers and that might be a good reason to jump shorter distances.

Although, if you have an adventures based on travelling, you're going to have to throw them out the window. More than likely, the party isn't going to be travelling much if they can teleport 90% of the distance and walk the remaining.

Teleportation question: the player wants to be able to teleport basically as far as his eye can see. Obviously, the distance he can see varies depending on his height. I am not adverse to this power, because it means he couldn't teleport from room to room, etc. I'm just confused as to how to best represent the vagaries of sight as the limitation for range. At first I was going to add the advantages of Ranged and Line of Sight to Teleportation, but then I thought that this wasn't appropriate. It would be if I was going to TARGET something to be teleported (assuming I also took the Usuable as Attack advantage), but not for the character to teleport himself.

Should I just cop out and Megascale it with some arbitrary number?

I think you'd better ask the player what they have in mind. The intention could easily be to not just have Megascale-range Teleport, but to be able to teleport across the room, and Megascale doesn't allow that.

On the teleport: It's for the player only, so I think he will be less inclined to try and disrupt my traveling adventures...

And I'm pretty sure he wants to be able to teleport exactly as far as the eye can see. If he is in the woods, he can only see a few yards, and only teleport that far. If he is on a mountain top.... well....

Please, please keep them coming. I'm tired now, but I shall look all this over once more tomorrow.

The simplest solution on LOS Teleport is to build the teleport spell as a multipower with the caveat that whichever version fits gets used.

Noisy isn't an increase for powers visible from a greater than normal distance it is more along the lines of adding special enses to detecting power usage. Just because i can "see" a nuke going off doesnt mean that I can tell who (or what) set off the nuke.

Wind Pillar

You need to buy a REC for the End Reserve as well as possibly a frequency modifier. IIRC this looks weird, Im not entirely certain about this, do you want uncontrolled? You might want to look at that advantage

Circle of Wind : Trigger should be +1/4 the triggering factor is set (whenever someone crosses the chalk line)

"When I was reading the Entangle rules, I was a little unclear on one point. It says "1d6 Body, 1 DEF." Is that 1 DEF per d6, or 1 DEF for the Entangle as a whole, unless you buy extra DEF? I read it to mean 1 DEF per d6, which if this was true means that the above Entangle has a DEF of 6, correct?" (short answer is yes) G

enerally to avoid this confusion 10 points purchases 1d6 /1 Def making the thing 4d6/4 Def. Then adding two defense brings it up to 6 Def you should write it up as 4d6/ 6 Def

In my campaign, noisy is usually only worth a 1/2 if it would cause Watched or Hunted re-roll. To qualify for a 1/4, it only has to be noticable as most AD&D spells. :rolleyes: YMMV

For Wind Pillar, END is only taking on the phases of the caster and damage only happens on those phases (plus the phase that someone enters the effect if it was an offphase). Personally, I think the END Reserve should have Charges on it. Unless you want someone using a variant of this spell to make perpetually-powered sailboats. Not neccessarily a bad thing, but something to think about.

Breath of Fresh Air

Our group has always allowed Usuable by Others (rather than Usuable as Attack) on Life Support. Passively, you are accepting the Life Support, although you could always resist if you are conscious enough to. Although it does mean that unconscious water breathers can slowly drown by a rather cheap Life Support spell, usually this isn't a big play balance issue. After all, water breathers can drown most humans simply by pulling them underwater.

+1 Usuable by Others can support 8 people which is hard to fit in one hex.

Adjustable Megascale is an excellent way to do "line of sight" teleport.

Looked back at the book, and I agree that -1/4 is appropriate for the level of the spell's Noisiness. Thanks.

Wind Pillar- Now, if someone was trying to ESCAPE from the pillar offphase, they would still have to roll some sort of STR check against the Knockback, correct? Or should I just go ahead and swap it over to TK? I really like it as is... but I need to model the effect that targets need to exert effort to remove themselves from the path of the attack (unless of course they have been blown beyond its range, say in a open area... or off a cliff... hehe).

Also, can you elaborate on the Charges bit? I'm afraid I don't understand. You mean Charges for how many times it can be used in a day?

I like your take on UOO, and have come up with an appropriate "magical justification" for why the targets would pay the END cost, and have made the change.

Can you explain the Adjustable Megascale? I looked through the index, and couldn't find anything about a sort of Adjustable Advantage. However, at one point in the text on Megascale, it sort of implies it might be Adjustable. I could have been reading wrong, though.

Gone back through, done a few tweaks, added a few more limitations on a few, and I have saved the character about an additional seven points from the spells listed.

Which is good, because it is a 100 point character and right now the list is about 75 points!:eek:

He might decide he'd rather not have some of the stronger spells, or I can weaken them for him...

The simplest solution on LOS Teleport is to build the teleport spell as a multipower with the caveat that whichever version fits gets used.

Noisy isn't an increase for powers visible from a greater than normal distance it is more along the lines of adding special enses to detecting power usage. Just because i can "see" a nuke going off doesnt mean that I can tell who (or what) set off the nuke.

Wind Pillar

You need to buy a REC for the End Reserve as well as possibly a frequency modifier. IIRC this looks weird, Im not entirely certain about this, do you want uncontrolled? You might want to look at that advantage

Circle of Wind : Trigger should be +1/4 the triggering factor is set (whenever someone crosses the chalk line)

"When I was reading the Entangle rules, I was a little unclear on one point. It says "1d6 Body, 1 DEF." Is that 1 DEF per d6, or 1 DEF for the Entangle as a whole, unless you buy extra DEF? I read it to mean 1 DEF per d6, which if this was true means that the above Entangle has a DEF of 6, correct?" (short answer is yes) G

enerally to avoid this confusion 10 points purchases 1d6 /1 Def making the thing 4d6/4 Def. Then adding two defense brings it up to 6 Def you should write it up as 4d6/ 6 Def

I'll go back and take a look at Multipowers. So far, I've never actually used them (or read them!)

Just so you know, the text from 5ER states on the Visible/Noisy Limitation: "In some circumstances (and with GM's permission), characters can also take Visible for powers that are ordinarily visible (like Energy Blast) to simulate the fact that those powers are much more perceptible than normal (for example, a 'Lighting Bolt' Energy Blast that causes a thunderclap audible up to a mile away). As a general rule, other characters should have at least a +4 bonus to PER rolls to perceive the use of the power, be able to perceive it over much greater distances than normal, or the like." pg. 309

Wind Pillar- I specifically don't want a REC, at least I think I don't. I'm trying to have the spell go off for a specific period of time, and then END. So, I tried to give it Continuous, and then it would shut itself off when it ran out of STOP. The character would have to cast it again and have someone trigger it again for the spell to resume. I will look at Uncontrolled (just did right now actually- at first, it is promising, but I will have to read it over once or twice more before I decide for sure whether or not it achieves fully the intended effect. In the meantime, please continue to critique as is!).

Good catch on the Trigger! I shall adjust accordingly.

Sorry, but *bump*

I hope to post more soon, however, I've got a feeling this spell list is nearing completion.

So far, from the revisions, I believe I have managed to save the player a total of 13 points. Which is nice!

Would anyone like to see the finalized versions at all, or should I just take the feedback and spread the rep?

I would place the END pool in the spell itself, with a REC of 0. This requires the caster to recast the spell to reaugment the spell.

Another way would be to give recovery, but conditioned so that it worked only during casting of the spell (requiring extra time, ie: while chanting and drawing the rune, the mage summoned the energies that would empower his wind trap). Dramatic advantage would be, the longer he casted, the more END the spell would have (subject to an arbitrary limit set by the GM).:sneaky:

For the Wind Pillar - If you want to build it as an EB, you need more dice. For it to deal any KB at all, you have to roll a 6 on the EB, and snake eyes for teh KB dice. Making it a 3d6 will increase the AP to ~60 points, and it will do KB/KnockDown about half the time.

Also, why use a separate END reserve for the spell? Just add Uncontrolled, and that way the character can add as much END to it as they want - instant END reserve effect without the paperwork, though it unfortunatly costs a lot of END at the time of casting. Add END only to Activate, and then you just define how long it lasts and the spell costs the same END to cast as it does now.

Very interesting Frenchman. I'll go back and take a look at it....

I need it to pretty consistentantly push targets, so it looks like I will be swapping it to Telekinesis. Perhaps 20 STR...

I'll take alook at Uncontrolled and END only to activate while I do that.

Very interesint Frenchman. I'll go back and take a look at it....

I need it to pretty consistentantly push targets, so it looks like I will be swapping it to Telekinesis. Perhaps 20 STR...

I'll take alook at Uncontrolled and END only to activate while I do that.

Frenchman beat me to it.

Another (very munchkiny) model might to use Dispel, Any one movement power (+1/4), Does KB (+1/4), Double KB (+3/4).

I'm not personally very fond of the construct, but it does give you more dice to throw for similar AP.

And yeah, Uncontrolled, End only to activate wil probably work better than the integral End Reserve.

Hello, fellow Herophiles. I have a completely new roleplayer (several, actually) for the new high fantasy campaign that I am starting, and so I will be designing all of his wizard's spells for him. As I do, I intend to post them for review and critique.

However, one spell has already given me pause. The player wants a spell that creates a vortex of wind that surrounds a target or perhaps a target area and pushes the target inwards towards the center and otherwise hindering their attempts to escape. At first, I thought this was an Entangle, but now I am not so sure. I mean, there is nothing to attack and do damage to. The target would escape in some sort of STR vs. STR contest, I would imagine.

Perhaps Telekinesis?

Another variant is that the player wants to be able to essentially place a trap which would emit a strong column of wind, several hexes, which would shoot out and blow for a specific period of time. If the target that triggered the trap collided with anything, they would take damage and likely be pinned. Anyone walking into the column, at any point in its length, would also be pushed until they ran beyond its range or were forced to a stop.

Would this also be Telekinesis?

Hey MT;

Didn't read the rest of the thread, but has anyone mentioned Entangle, Takes no Damage from Attacks?

Alrighty, I went back and made a few adjustments. Overall, I stuck with the TK because I felt it was the most accurate way of modeling the effects, and especially the way of "breaking out."

Quick question: why would I want to combine End Only to Activate with Uncontrolled? It seems like these advantages that does not really... stack well with each other. Perhaps I midunderstood how they interact?

Here are the rewrites:

7) Wind Pillar

The caster draws a simple rune on any flat surface (wall, floor, ceiling, etc). The next time that something passes within range of that circle, a strong column of air streams from the circle in a direct line, pushing anything caught in its path and possibly pinning them against any obstacles. This spell lasts until the magical energy stored within it is drained.

20 STR Telekinesis, Trigger (+1/4), Area of Effect: Line (+1), Uncontrolled (+½); Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), OAF: drawn rune (-1), Requires Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Extra Time: Full Turn (-1¼), Concentration: Distracted, ½ DCV (-¼), Side Effect: Spell affects caster instead (-1) (20 Active Points, 5 Real Points).

Active Cost: 82

Real Cost: 15

END: 8

Magic Skill Roll Penalty: -8

8) Circle of Wind

The caster draws a circle on the ground. When something enters the circle, a powerful vortex of winds form that serve to push any and all towards the center until the spell ends or they manage to pull themselves beyond its boundries.

Telekiniesis: 20 STR, Area of Effect 3" Radius (+1), Trigger (+¼); Gestures (-¼ ), Incantations (-1/4), OAF: drawn rune (-1), Requires Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Noisy (-1/4), Extra Time: 1 minute (-1 ½), Concentration: Unaware, 0 DCV (-½) Side Effect: attack centers on caster (-1), Only to push targets towards center (-1/2), Affects whole object (-1/4), Double END cost (-1/2).

Active Cost: 67

Real Cost: 9

END: 14

Magic Skill Roll Penalty: -7

However' date=' one spell has already given me pause. The player wants a spell that creates a vortex of wind that surrounds a target or perhaps a target area and pushes the target inwards towards the center and otherwise hindering their attempts to escape. At first, I thought this was an Entangle, but now I am not so sure. I mean, there is nothing to attack and do damage to. The target would escape in some sort of STR vs. STR contest, I would imagine.[/quote']

In answer to your question from the Rep, MT, what I'm wondering is dis in regards to this section of the spell in particular, which I'll call "Manic's Vortex of Entrapment:"

Generally, I will use the power that describes the SFX until & unless its proven that it won't work. In other words, I won't use Telekinesis to replicate Entangle when what I really mean is "I hold the SOB in place, dagnabbit." While both do it (and some of the pundits will argue that Entangle in this example is nothing more than a modified TK, that's a separate argument) the Entangle is built to do it, and thusly should be handling the load.

The "pushing someone towards the center" is an SFX that I wouldn't even try to apply -- we went to model Ryu's Hurricane Kick one day; the original thought was something really ugly, like this:

Hurricane Kick: 6d6 HA, AOE (1"), Autofire 5, plus Telekinesis, 30 STR, AOE 2", only to pull people towards Ryu to be hit multiple times.

I mean, ugh. The revised version made much more sense.

Hurricane Kick 2: 6d6 HA, AOE (2"), Autofire 5. Poof, done. The SFX is, of course, that the whirling winds around him create the painful vortex, "sucking people in" and then "kicking them back out" becomes a dramatic SFX, until & unless the user purchases Knockback for the attack.

What you're talking about seems very similar; what you really want to do is create an Entangle, possibly an AOE Entangle, composed of Wind. Wind that can only be dispelled under specific circumstances, if at all.

So I might build something that looks (kind of) like this:

33 Manic's Vortex of Entrapment: Entangle 5d6, Area of Effect (Radius, +1), Transparent to Attacks (All Attacks, +1/2), Affects Desolid (+1/4, Affects any wind or gaseous form desolids, but not astral/aethereal or other types), Entangled & Character Both Take Damage (+1/4) (150 Active points); Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4*), Does Not Prevent Use of Accessible Foci (-1), Susceptible (-1/2, to any Stillness of Wind or other similar Change Environment that stops or changes wind movements so the spell no longer functions as intended), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), OIF (Spell Component, a piece of rope from a the mast of a sailing ship, difficult to obtain, -1 1/4). Total cost: 33 points

*Cannot Form Barriers is arguable either way, but I envisioned this as being "easily avoidable" if you weren't nailed by it. Also, don't forget that just because it's transparent, doesn't mean it can't be hit, just that you have to target it specifically (see p 169 of 5ER, lower right hand corner, 2nd header from the bottom).