How to build: Targeting Computer

gojira

Re: How to build: Targeting Computer

I agree' date=' that's why I was suggesting alternative Detects rather than "Enemy."[/quote']

Well, High Range Radio Perception is built around "Detect Broadcast Spectrum Transmissions". The thing is, the spectrum is so big, you can't automatically pinpoint a specific frequency of transmission -- it takes an INT Roll. I'd say if you added both Discriminatory *and* Analytical to it, and also bought Universal Translator, you'd get pretty close to being able to tell what was being transmitted, and thus a good chance at determining the intent (Friend/Foe) behind it. That is, if you first made the HRRP PER Roll, then makes the UT INT Roll.

If you intend to detect not the transmissions but the hardware a person is carrying, that would take a whole different Detect. Then the questions are:

1. How are you detecting these objects?

2. Can you detect them even if off and unpowered?

3. What about "Enemies" that don't have any hardware?

4. Is there a way that hardware could be made so that it *couldn't* be detectable (i.e., Stealth -- like in the aircraft)?

Well, High Range Radio Perception is built around "Detect Broadcast Spectrum Transmissions". The thing is, the spectrum is so big, you can't automatically pinpoint a specific frequency of transmission -- it takes an INT Roll. I'd say if you added both Discriminatory *and* Analytical to it, and also bought Universal Translator, you'd get pretty close to being able to tell what was being transmitted, and thus a good chance at determining the intent (Friend/Foe) behind it. That is, if you first made the HRRP PER Roll, then makes the UT INT Roll.

If you intend to detect not the transmissions but the hardware a person is carrying, that would take a whole different Detect. Then the questions are:

1. How are you detecting these objects?

2. Can you detect them even if off and unpowered?

3. What about "Enemies" that don't have any hardware?

4. Is there a way that hardware could be made so that it *couldn't* be detectable (i.e., Stealth -- like in the aircraft)?

Oddly enough I don't have any real problems imputing some sort of super science that could detect types of hardware: microwave sonics, looking for resonances, some sort of low energy radar, magnetic anomaly detector or somesuch. All tosh, really, but I don't see being able to accurately detect the type of equipment that your opponent is carrying as unbalancing...subject to certain restrictions...for instance the equipment would only be as good as its database, and so would only contain 'known' weapons, and would, at best, be able to offer sugegstions as to the possible functions of unknown ones (if it carries a big tank of inflammabe liquid, chances are it is a flamethrower of some sort...).

My problem is not with handwaiving the underlying science, it is with the potential consequences of allowing detects which substitute for telepathy - purely a game balance issue.

Don't get me wrong - I still want to know how the machine 'works', if only so that a really smart villain might legitimately gimp it, but I'm willing to allow a lot of latitude on that part of the description. Viper agents decked out in Until equipment would register as 'Friend', for instance...

I know this isn't exactly what was asked, but a targetting computer should do so much more than just tell you who and where your targets are. There are at least a dozen things you can (and perhaps should) buy to simulate a high-end targetting computer:

Skills:

• Analyze Combat. (If you don't have this, then what the hell are you getting a targetting computer for?!?)
  • Autofire.
  • Rapid Fire/Rapid Attack.
  • Defense Maneuver (especially!!).
  • Combat Skill Levels (particularly Ranged, of course).
  • Penalty Skill Levels (mostly vs. Range).
  • Teamwork.
  • Tactics.

Talents:

• Absolute Range Sense
  • Absolute Time Sense
  • Bump of Direction
  • Combat Sense (if necessary)

If you have to acquire a 'sense', you could simply make it either Spatial Awareness (if you can make it Passive) or else Radar (if your GM insists on it being Active). In either case, it should probably be based on the Radio Group, which means you get Sense, Ranged, and Targeting built in. Add in 'Discriminatory', 'Analyze', '360 Degrees' and 'Rapid x100' as well.

On the other hand, if you want it to be a Threat Analysis AI, make it 'Sense Threat'. As a standalone power:

Threat Analysis Computer: Sense Threat 14- (A Large Class Of Things, Radio Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Rapid (x100), Targeting (41 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4). 23 points, 4 END to fire up.

You can save another 3 points by adding on 'Requires An Analyze Combat Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4)', though you might not necessarily want that, considering that the Analyze skill typically needs a few phases to get an idea of how skilled someone is.

If there's one thing I've learned from comic books, it's that you don't want Captain America to always be in your Threat Receiver as a good guy. However, this will also constantly keep changing threat ratings on people -- a normal human is a 10, perhaps, but if he picks up an uzi he pops up to 7 -- and 5 if he points it in your direction. Captain America might be a 3 all the time, or a 4 if he doesn't have his shield and is at least 5" away from you, just because that's how he is. Cyclops, on the other hand, could be a 2 when facing you, but a 7 when facing away. And, of course, your TacCom should have something of a memory of how dangerous observed individuals are and/or have been ...

You might also get a couple 'Naked Modifiers' based on your TC: 'No Range Modifier (+1/2)' and/or 'Area of Effect (1 Hex Accurate, +1/2)'. Of the two, I enjoy the latter in most combat (because you can usually tag even the most annoying 56-zillion DCV martial artists with it, just hit that 3 DCV hex they're 'in'), though using the former to snipe a 4 DCV brick from 500" away just ... well, let's face it, it just sings.

Some very good ideas here, Wyrm, thanks. I think my basic question has been answered: the detect is legal and mostly works as I envisioned. (I'm the GM, so I'm just checking my understanding of the rules.)

The rest of the discussion is gravy, and darn interesting for building different types of detects.

The rest of the discussion is gravy, and darn interesting for building different types of detects.

Haha, that's us. If you ask us how to model a kitchen as a VPP for a character in a comedic campaign, you'll get your answer within about three posts and then two pages of people debating the best way of building a spoon.

Which, I STILL haven't seen. Does anyone have a link to the spoon build?

The fault there was in the overly restrictive rules of engagement from the pentagon, not with the crew.

Actually it was the ship's SORM not really the pentagon. What you also don't realize was said officer was probably less than 20 yards away, and the country was actually at war, and the ship wasn't already engaged in combat.

The fault there was in the overly aggressive rules of engagement as well as *several* mistakes the inexperienced crew made.
There was NOTHING wrong with the rules of engagement. If I told you a military aircraft took off from an airport the people we are at war with use, and is now decending near our position, 40 miles outside of its flightpath (which was the information given no matter how incorrect it was), the only right answer was to shoot it down. The rules of engagment were spot on and had no relevence to how it happened.

But let's not also forget "The heightened response to aircraft was due to an incident the previous year when the USS Stark was fired upon by an Iraqi fighter plane, killing thirty-seven American sailors", guess the rules of engagement weren't strigent enough then either right?

What you're also forgetting to mention was that the ship was already engaged in combat with gunboats which explains why the crew might be more prone to mistakes.

At least I suggested a new thread instead of just continuing to derail this one.

Right after derailing the thread more, you were considerate enough to ask other people not to do exactly what you did in the same post. :rolleyes:

Also' date=' are we talking about a Targeting Computer (detects targets and increases fire accuracy), or a Target Analysis Computer (does just about everything under the sun)?[/quote']

A target analysis computer has the analyze, teamwork, and tactics skills, and tells you who's more of a threat. Theoretically, it would also be the one with the combat sense/danger sense, since those require an evaluation of the forms that the radar is kicking back.

Almost everything else I posted comes from a targetting computer, which detects targets, increases fire accuracy, rapidity, fire-on-target, and which increases your ability and skills to shoot things all around. Guy-in-armor mashes down the trigger and waves the arm; targetting computer makes the weapon fire only when designated forms are in front of the barrel. Etc. etc.

Given the option, I'd of course go with the latter. :dyn