Homage

Sean Waters

Re: Homage

Now this also means that Joe average only has 40 or 50 sanity to start with...so is madness triggered at certain levels (i.e. when you get to 0, for example) or at certain proportions of the maximum (say at 50% 'damage' of your normal maximum you pick up a tick, at 75% you go a little loopy and at 100% we usher in full blown psychosis....)

Perhaps this could tie into CoC's notions of Temporary Insanity brought about by shock -- a certain % loss of sanity at any one time would result in TI, to be recovered from through time and/or therapy. Possibly this could be reflected with a short-term loss of EGO, combined with imposition of an appropriate Psych Lim.

As for Mythos knowlege' date=' well first off you make it a general skill, rather than an INT based one...otherwise a smarter character will have a higher roll, and be naturally madder...[/quote']

Makes sense to me.

In that world I think it's fair to say that: "ignorance is bliss." :shock:

I liked the old concept that that smarter you were; the more you could conceive of the horrors you were witnessing; and thus the more prone you were to going insane. Rocks should be safe. Sentient computers... not so much. :ugly:

Hmmm....maximum sanity loss limited byt the INT of the target...what would that be worth? -1/2?

The best footsoldiers against the madness would be self confident ignoramuses...hmmm...

Used to be a game called Lords of Creation by Avalon Hill. Adventures could be in any place, time, or dimension. The characters started off as essentially compentent normals in HERO parlance but gradually gained power, abilities, and equipment that made them into demigods. The game mechanics were crap, but the concept and source material were great. I have tried to run a couple of HERO adaptations of this with varying degrees of success. The big advantage for me as GM was that I could place an adventure anywhere that inspired my imagination, but I didn't have to develop a whole campaign for that world. So when a world was tapped out after an adventure or two, the characters would flit off to someplace else that struck my fancy.

I never did quite get the right feel for advancement though. Although I enjoy the freedom that the HERO system XP expenditure allows, there is something to be said for the advancement structure that some d20 games provided.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein