Movement Question

Blue

Let's say an enemy is 3" off the ground and 12" away. A player has 30" of running and a STR of 25 (Enough to get 2.5" off of the ground on a jump) and he's average height.

This means the bad guy is about 12" away, but in order to reach him the player would have to do a half move run AND a jump, then do his grab. Is this a legal maneuver or is running a half-move and jumping a half-move.

Now the jump in the book is basically a "running leap" it says. But if you include it for free as part of the half-move run, where is the apex of the leap? Is it anywhere along the half-move run?

Re: Movement Question

I asked a similar question to Steve on the FAQs thread a while back, and it is legal to perform two half-moves with different types of movement. I believe the character would need to Grab By in this instance, however.

I have generally assumed that the apex of a 'long jump' is 1/4 of the distance being leapt ... I don't think there's anything in the rules to support such an assumption, but it seems to work.

Hmm. This is more complicated than I thought. :)

I think the 'by the book' rule would be that he can make a half move run to close the majority of the distance and then half move leap to reach the target. However, since he has now made a full move, he can only use a full-move manuever like move through or move by. The gray area might be on whether he could combine move by and grab in this case. I think this is possible.

Yeah, I think I would allow a "grab" as in a flying tackle, aka the move-through, but a half move maneuver would probably be proscribed.

I think you need time to "aim" a grab vs some object or particular body part. Full move is just that, you're going as fast as you can with out losing your DCV. "I plow into him and throw my arms around him" is about all you can manage at a full move.

Just my own two nickels.

Thanks for the responses. I think I may end up adjudicating some of this based on if the person has purchased a flying tackle, grab by, etc. martial art maneuver. Otherwise I may let them do it with an acrobatics roll and some of the base move-through minuses.

I figure that's (part of) the benefit of buying MA.

You'd think, except for the height. Which means you're mixing movements, Which is what raised the question.

I think I've got it close enough at this point to make it work. It'll come up in game again I'm sure; One guy is a speedster who specializes in move-by/through/flying tackle.

Here's the relevant info:

from 5er page 384

Grab By ½ † -3 -4 Move and Grab object, +(v/5) to STR

†: Grab By, Move By, and Move Through are usually performed at the end of a Full Move, and thus take a Full Phase. However, a character could perform one after taking a Half Phase Action* (such as opening a door), so they’re listed as Half Phase Actions.

*Or a half move with a different mode of movement in your question

You'd think, except for the height. Which means you're mixing movements, Which is what raised the question.

I think I've got it close enough at this point to make it work. It'll come up in game again I'm sure; One guy is a speedster who specializes in move-by/through/flying tackle.

I take the point. Looks like you can not do it in a single phase. Run over. Hold half phase. Hope he doesn't move too far away his next phase...

Perils of not flying, I suppose.

Here's the relevant info:

from 5er page 384

*Or a half move with a different mode of movement in your question

The problem is that a half phase leap will only let him get 1 1/2 inches off the ground and, assuming he is 1 inch tall already, he can't reach a target whose feet are 3 inches in the air. No way around it apart from a re-build, so far as I can see.