Invisibility

steph

Re: Invisibility

Well, if I was the GM in question, it would depend. If you presented me with a sound character concept that could reasonably detect any invisible object because of how your powers function, I'd work with you to create such a power, but it would probably be expensive if it was intended to negate any and all types of invisibility. On the other hand, if it seemed that you were just trying to preemtively negate a possible inconvenience for your character without thinking it through from the concept, I'd likely disallow it.

Is it legal to take enchanced senses (Detect) and make (detect invisibility)

in that way nobody is invisible for me

stef

A Detect would just let you know that invisibility is being used in the area assuming you built it with range.

You would need to buy targeting to be able to hit an otherwise Invisible opponent.

And even if this was legal (which I'm not sure about). Invisible Power Effects on the Invisibility itself would make it immune to such a Detect.

Guest TheUnknown

stef

If the invisibility is bought to affect (detect) or the sence group that includes detect then it would not be detectable by that sence. If the invisibility is not bought vs that sence then it would detect it any way. the build is legal but it does not bypass the invisibility if it affects that sense.

Detect Invisibility is a bit like Detect Energy Blast. Without special effects, it's just notes on paper. I'd say no, completely on the basis that Invisibility could concievably be used any number of non-standard ways... like all other Powers.

Would you be able to Detect a stealth jet, for instance (not that that's all that non-standard :P).

You'd have to build it like this:

Detect Invisibility 13- (Unusual Group), Range, Sense, Targeting

Costs 22 points, and it won't work if they have invisibility to this sense.

I'd probably only allow it in a fantasy game where the magic system has escalating series of measures and countermeasures.

Re: InvisibilityQ

stef

Why not do it the old-fashioned way? Buy the character a sense that belongs to a sense group other than sight. When viewing your surroundings, use both senses. If you can't see anything there but your "sonar sense" is telling you there's somebody right in front of you, I'd say you've just detected the invisible guy.

The KISS* principle is your friend!

*Keep It Simple, Stupid!

The KISS principle is a corrolary of Murphy's Law, and is often used as a mantra by engineers. It was first postulated by the engineers at lockheed who realized that making things complicated only made it more likely to break and harder to troubleshoot when it did.

If you were using simulated sense 'sight' then it would only work against (non-sight) invisibility.

I'm not sure how I'd define a power that detected invisible to sight enemies, who could not be seen because of a magic spell AND invisible to smell enemies who couldn't be smelled because they just didn't have a scent.

I'd imagine that you just want to SEE invisible stuff: buy a fully featured unusual sense and you can.