stealth question

steph

as a gm did you get this situation : one of your player try to make a steath skill in a combat situation? .......i mean is this possible to realise ? The situation is the character face a swashbuckler and at is turn (realise the swashbuckler is very good with a sword) he decide to retreat behind a house and perform a stealth ..........my problem is the swashbuckler in question never stop is Line of sight with the character so is this possible to realise a stealth in that situation..........

hope i am clear

english not my first language

stef

Re: stealth question

Anything is possible: impossible tasks usually get a -10 penalty. The swashbuckler would need to amke a stealth roll at -10 to apparently vanish in plain sight without a power. I'd allow bonuses if a PRE attack were made to distract the perceiver, and I might allow certain skills (perhaps acrobatics? ventriloquism?) to act as complimentary skills.

Of course, as GM you do not have to allow impossible tasks to be attempted - you can just say 'no'.

This is also circumstantial. You may rule that without:

a) appropriate cover, including shadows, objects or the like, that there's nowhere to hide

B) That he isn't "hiding" at all, but maneuvering onto the roof or something similar. Then once out of sight, he can "drop down" somewhere else, and then make a stealth roll.

c) I would almost never allow someone to just "make a stealth roll" in the middle of a fight with a combatant focused on them. By almost never there's always one guy (usually Sean Waters) who wants to give that ONE EXAMPLE WHERE IT WOULD WORK.

I bring that out in people.

Steph, in your described situation, I would say no. Unless the character is intending to use Stealth to move somewhere else unnoticed once he is out of line of sight. He can't, ever, not even if he's Sean Waters, just make a Stealth Roll for people watching him to forget where they just saw him go.

He can, however, buy Invisibility with Requires Stealth Roll. :)