Memory Edit Power

feralucce

We want to be able to edit the memory of a subject...

make them remember things that didn't happen, or make them forget things that did...

and I cannot even come up with ideas... *sigh*

That's not entirely true... the only ideas I can come up use transform... and that seems... a bit clunky

so... any suggestions?

Re: Memory Edit Power

What doesn't seem right about it? It's a little non-standard for Mind Control, but I think it's the best fit.

You want to make someone forget what he had for lunch? Unless it was a really good lunch, he's inclined to forget anyway...roll higher than his EGO.

You want to make a guy think he was going to meet his girlfriend at the movies? He probably wouldn't mind making that date...roll higher than EGO+10 (if not just EGO).

You want to make someone forget his girlfriend? He's probably against that (unless she's a psycho)...roll higher than EGO+20.

Want to make someone forget who their mother is? That's a strong emotional attachment there, so it'll probably take EGO+30.

The Limitation would fall under Limited Powers: "Only to alter memories" (-1/2)

Allowing a PC to have this power is a recipe for disaster and trying to foist an application of it it upon a PC is the pudding.

Still if you want to do it, it is a mental transform. Given that, by the rules, the transform has to be reversable, even if you allow 'only reversed by a mental transform power' you are not going to get quite what you want, but it is near enough for government work.

I am making its scope rediculously limited... and the game we have emigrated from had the thing he is shooting for as a low grade power... I am writing it up to function like white wolf's MET forgetful mind power... scope is limited, cost is high... balance is preserved...

and frankly... any transform power has the potential to be hazardously unbalancing...

I am making its scope rediculously limited... and the game we have emigrated from had the thing he is shooting for as a low grade power... I am writing it up to function like white wolf's MET forgetful mind power... scope is limited, cost is high... balance is preserved...

and frankly... any transform power has the potential to be hazardously unbalancing...

Well yes but this one has the power to be upsetting. Against a player they are going to resent you unless they a completely rabid role player, and against a GM character you are either going to find a way round it or have to tear up a perfectly good scenario.

Think about this... In Vampire the masquerade it is a common power...

Star wars roleplaying game... Jedi mind tricks can to the same thing...

Rifts, there are spells and psi powers that do the same thing...

Ran all those and it's never been unbalancing or even an issue...

This is a power requested by a player... and while it is powerful... I am goign to limit it so that it is not unbalancing... as for being on the recieving end... the group I play with has always worked on the concept that if the pc's have a capability, it is possible that the NPCs do.

So... anyone that has Psi ability or training in the campaign has a chance of mental defence... meaning, that the power is not garenteed to work on everyone. The average person can be brainwashed with it... but how is that differenct from using any powers on the normals?

There are mechanisms in place to maintain balance in the campaign, but I thank you for your concern...