[TV:Heroes] Peter Petrelli - How can it be done?

yosimitsu

Re: Peter Petrelli - How can it be done?

I would have thought a VPP would pretty much handle it, with a restriction on how often he can change powers, and only to change to a power he's encountered before. He doesn't seem to have any limits as far as how many powers he can use at once, and arguably he doesn't need to have the same limitations as the original user (eg he was able to paint the future without heroin before Isaac could).

Its a cosmic vpp with lots of points and a lim for not totally controlled (that is growing lower and lower as he learns to dial in his powers) and a lim for "only powers he has encountered".

it started as a fairly simple mimic power pool but has clearly grown more as he moved beyond his "doggie" stage as claude raines put it.

not easy to do in an "equal point game" but then HEROES isn't an equal point show.

Agreed that it's a VPP with a few limitations on the control cost. Doesn't even need to be a huge VPP as of yet; I don't think we've ever seen him use more than two powers at once. As time goes on that may change.

Sylar probably has the same pool, but with much stricter limits on how he can learn new powers.

Agreed. The most efficient method is a VPP. Initially it's a basic NCC Mimic Pool, but Peter eventually gets some control over it, for at least some of the powers. And yeah, don't worry about spending extra points on Peter, he's definitely more powerful than any of the other characters, except maybe Sylar .

Agreed. The most efficient method is a VPP. Initially it's a basic NCC Mimic Pool' date=' but Peter eventually gets some control over it, for at least some of the powers. And yeah, don't worry about spending extra points on Peter, he's definitely more powerful than any of the other characters, except maybe Sylar .[/quote']

Hard to say, since you would think that Peter could "absorb" everything that Sylar can do. He has already shown that he can use the Tk, so, I would assume everything else would be possible, though perhaps he has to "observe" the power in use?

Personally, I think the two have very similar powers, though Peter's is non-destructive (he doesn't have to do whatever Sylar does with his victim's brains to gain the powers).

You mean eat 'em?

Everyone said it, but I'll chime in as support: whenever a mimic pool of any kind is built in HERO, it's done as a VPP because that's really the only mechanic we have.

You can, of course, choose to purchase an MP and start adding powers to it one by one as they become available, which may be closer to how Sylar does things, but really, it's extra work and not nearly as easy to replicate the full spectrum of possible effects.

Hard to say, since you would think that Peter could "absorb" everything that Sylar can do. He has already shown that he can use the Tk, so, I would assume everything else would be possible, though perhaps he has to "observe" the power in use?

Personally, I think the two have very similar powers, though Peter's is non-destructive (he doesn't have to do whatever Sylar does with his victim's brains to gain the powers).

From a dramatic perspective, Peter and Sylar intentionally parallel one another. Sylar, to become more powerful, had to give up empathy, becoming a predator unable to make meaningful emotional connections (though I get the feeling he wanted on some level the affection and approval of Mohinder). Peter becomes more powerful by opening up emotionally, feeling empathy for those he encounters, even Sylar. He says as much on the rooftop to Claude; he has to think about those he he encountered to call up their powers.

Peter probably could manifest the rest of the powers Sylar has absorbed, if his subconscious decided to throw them into play.

Is there any online source for all the powers Sylar has now? We know TK, Super Hearing, melting metal, maybe freezing people, and seeing how things work. Anything else?

Is there any online source for all the powers Sylar has now? We know TK, Super Hearing, melting metal, maybe freezing people, and seeing how things work. Anything else?

You forgot his enhanced memory from Charlie.

And he can melt more than just metal.

I think Peter is poetentially more powerful than Sylar' date='but Sylar has much better control over his powers. Needless to say if Slyar got Peter's power it would be game over execpt for perhaps Hiro.[/quote']

I don't think Sylar could use Peter's power. Peter's power is thematically all about compassion (see his conversation with Claud about how he is able to pick and choose powers, plus interviews with the show runners). Sylar couldn't keep functioning if he felt compassion for his targets.

I do agree that Peter is potentially more powerful, if only because he can acquire new powers with much less trouble.

I think Peter is poetentially more powerful than Sylar' date='but Sylar has much better control over his powers. Needless to say if Slyar got Peter's power it would be game over execpt for perhaps Hiro.[/quote']

Of course, Peter has been around Hiro, and has manifested his powers as well... so...

Let's just hope that Sylar doesn't eat Peter...

what? :nonp:

We have not yet learned if Peter can only use one power at a time or not. He may not be definable in a point based system. Indications are that he dose take on some limitations of those powers he duplicates. Issac didn't need to do drugs to pant the future, but he had no control over what he painted and appearently neither did Peter the time he finished Issac's painting for exsample. In the dream Peter had about blowing up New York he couldn't stop the radation power that he absorbed just like the Orginal Radioactive Guy had problems controling his power.

but.... could a VPP simulate what peter does.... just with a limitation that states he has to have been near someone with a power before he can use it...

only thing I have problems with is that his first manifestation of a power is uncontroled... so I have no idea how to write that

Similar yes, but Peter doesn't even know what powers he has, and he's only ever demonstrated a Power that's been used in his presence. Even when he first flew, Nathan flew first. He (I'm assuming) couldn't fly until then. Sylar has loads of abilities, but has only used a few in Peter's presence. That mean that everything Sylar can, Sylar can do first. Also, Peter is hardly in control of his abilities, and they seem to have this rather nasty drawback...

Note: I don't remember if Claire regenerated in Peter's presence before he was able to, but I know she was regenerating as he arrived to confront Sylar in the locker room, so I'm assuming that was close enough to count by my theory to work.

"and he's only ever demonstrated a Power that's been used in his presence"

No... he used claire's healing power BEFORE having it used in his presence...

while he's laying on the concrete with her looking down at him after sylar kicked his ass...

but.... could a VPP simulate what peter does.... just with a limitation that states he has to have been near someone with a power before he can use it...

only thing I have problems with is that his first manifestation of a power is uncontroled... so I have no idea how to write that

You could do it with a custom -1/4 version of No Conscious Control on the Control Cost. "GM Determines when the power first activates, PC may choose to activate the power at will after that". It could also be (and this is how I'd rule in a campaign) that Perter at first had the -1 version of NCC on his control cost (GM decides how to allocate the points, PC may use the powers as he wishes after the GM has arranged them) and has now bought off that limitation by training with Claude (saved up XP from the first episode, or the GM gave him a bonus). He now uses his Power Skill to re-arange the pool (he has to think of the person who had the power). His pool still has, and has always had, the -1/2 Limit "Mimic".

"and he's only ever demonstrated a Power that's been used in his presence"

No... he used claire's healing power BEFORE having it used in his presence...

while he's laying on the concrete with her looking down at him after sylar kicked his ass...

As I said, I think Claire was regenerating, or still regenerating, after being tossed into the wall as Peter walked in at the start, but I'll have to go back and rewatch the episode to be sure.

Peter probably could manifest the rest of the powers Sylar has absorbed, if his subconscious decided to throw them into play.

That gets me thinking :stupid:

Does Peter need to connect emotionally with Sylar in order to absorb all his powers, or with the people Sylar killed? :)

Sylar power is that he knows how things work...

In any case if Peter can absorb all Sylar's powers and Sylar need to kill Peter in order to do it, then Peter has a definite advantage.

On October 2' date=' 2006, Emerson Electric Company, an appliance market competitor of NBC's owner General Electric, filed suit in federal court against NBC. The suit was in regards to a scene that appeared in "Genesis," the pilot episode, which depicts Claire Bennet reaching into an active garbage disposal unit—labeled "In-Sink-Erator"—to retrieve a ring, and severely injuring her hand in the process. Emerson claims the scene "casts the disposer in an unsavory light, irreparably tarnishing the product" by suggesting serious injuries will result "in the event consumers were to accidentally insert their hand into one." Emerson had asked for a ruling barring future broadcasts of the pilot, which was previously available on NBC's Web site and has already aired on NBC Universal-owned cable networks USA Network and The Sci Fi Channel. It also sought to block NBC from using any Emerson trademarks in the future.[24]

On February 23, 2007, the case against NBC was dropped. NBC Universal and Emerson Electric reached an agreement to settle the lawsuit outside of court. [25]

The episode in question was briefly unavailable in the iTunes Store, but an edited version was shortly made available for download.

I just have to laugh. IIRC, when I installed a garbage disposal I believe that the operating instructions stated that you should not insert your hand (FOR ANY REASON, leaps out in my mind) while the unit is in operation because serious injury could result.

THEN they sue Heroes for portraying it? "Casts the disposer in an unsavory light, irreparably tarnishing the product?" Are we actually expected to believe that some people honestly believe reaching your hand into a running garbage disposal is not dangerous? I mean, sure, I imagine it happens regularly that someone drops a diamond ring down there or something and dives in without thinking and comes out left-handed...but C'MON!