Sweating

Steve

Sweating is a natural bodily function, but in heroic fiction it is not uncommon to see a hero cruise through a tough situation without sweating.

"Never let them see you sweat" could be an example of high PRE or maybe a Talent of 1 or 2 points, I think. I suppose an argument could also be made to use a Persistent Image "Never Appears to Sweat." How else might this be shown?

Since dehydration can be caused by excessive sweating, could this be built as an attack? Explosive sweating leading to dehydration effects would certainly be a different sort of attack.

Re: Sweating

Explosive sweating?

Yeeeeuck!

I'd do it as you suggest: the sfx of limited extra PRE, in all likelihood.

If you really wanted a game in which it could be protection from dehydration attacks, I'd allow: LS: Does not sweat* (1 point)

You could put that in a can OAF, with non-recoverable charges and sell it as an anti-perspirant :)

*but doesn't overheat or otherwise suffer because of it.

Sweating is a natural bodily function, but in heroic fiction it is not uncommon to see a hero cruise through a tough situation without sweating.

"Never let them see you sweat" could be an example of high PRE or maybe a Talent or 1 or 2 points, I think. I suupose an argument could also be made to use a Persistent Image "Never Appears to Sweat." How else might this be shown?

Um... LS: No Need To Excrete, Sweat Only -1/2?

Since dehydration can be caused by excessive sweating, could this be built as an attack? Explosive sweating leading to dehydration effects would certainly be a different sort of attack.
NND [possibly Does BODY] vs No Need to Excrete?

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

If you really wanted a game in which it could be protection from dehydration attacks, I'd allow: LS: Does not sweat* (1 point)

You could put that in a can OAF, with non-recoverable charges and sell it as an anti-perspirant :)

*but doesn't overheat or otherwise suffer because of it.

So LS: Immune to Heat would cover this as well, I would imagine.

Dehydration through induced sweating as an attack, as Dust Raven pointed out, would likely be an NND. I was thinking you could also link an END Drain to it as well. Depending on the special effect, heat exhaustion could be part of the attack.

Since dehydration can be caused by excessive sweating' date=' could this be built as an attack? [/quote']

Isn't that the NND Storm tried against Magneto?

My character Dolphin has full Life Support. He also has doesn't perspire as a dinstinctive feature. I've been tempted to give him invisibility to scent as well.

Either a point of a new LS or just chuck on a custom Talent.

1 pt Talent: The Sweatless Wonder, BAN Roll-On Man, etc.

There is one other thing to consider. I'm assuming this is more the heroicly, "I don't sweat." If the character does not sweat at all, that is a Physical Limitation and a Susceptibility. The inability to sweat is going to wreak havoc with your bodily temperature. The character will overheat very easily and could very well end up passing out from heat exhaustion at the most inopportune times.

I'm not sure what mechanic I would use. Perhaps allow Recoveries, but purchase the Susceptibility so that the character takes some damage (probably STUN Only) for ever 1/4 of their END total they spend. So if the character has 40 END base, they take 2d6 STUN for every 10 END they spend.

Either a point of a new LS or just chuck on a custom Talent.

1 pt Talent: The Sweatless Wonder, BAN Roll-On Man, etc.

There is one other thing to consider. I'm assuming this is more the heroicly, "I don't sweat."

Yeah, that was pretty much what I was thinking of for the first half of my posting.

Depending on setting, you can make an argument that certain creatures from mythology (like Elves) would have this sort of ability.

Actually, the Cosmetic Transform "Never Look Mussed" (I think is what the Talent is called in Pulp Hero) could also cover this effect.

There is one other thing to consider. I'm assuming this is more the heroicly' date=' "I don't sweat." If the character does not sweat at all, that is a Physical Limitation and a Susceptibility. The inability to sweat is going to wreak havoc with your bodily temperature. The character will overheat very easily and could very well end up passing out from heat exhaustion at the most inopportune times.[/quote']

What about Dogman? Dogs don't sweat at all. They regulate body temperature through panting and getting wet. And it's normal for dogs not to sweat.

Which makes me wonder... should a dog-ish to dog-powered character have to pay for this not-sweating, or is needing to pant enough of a trade off?

What about Dogman? Dogs don't sweat at all. They regulate body temperature through panting and getting wet. And it's normal for dogs not to sweat.

Which makes me wonder... should a dog-ish to dog-powered character have to pay for this not-sweating, or is needing to pant enough of a trade off?

Professor Pervert pants a lot too.

Isn't that the NND Storm tried against Magneto?

My character Dolphin has full Life Support. He also has doesn't perspire as a dinstinctive feature. I've been tempted to give him invisibility to scent as well.

Dolphins may not sweat, but they smell, alright. I could track a dolphin on land; not as if it is going to get far :)

For the most part you are correct, but dogs do sweat...on the nose and pads of their feet. :) But it's not really a heat regulation thing.

Sweating is not so much the issue as is a "method for moderating body temperature." Doesn't matter if it's panting, sweating or exhausting bursts of heated bodily gasses. So DogMan is just fine...it's just hard to understand him when he's hot. :)

A couple of other questions on sweating occur to me.

How does sweating affect a character's ability to hold a weapon?

Would sweating have any effect of Sight PER rolls, like if sweatdrops can get into the eyes?

Well, realistically, yes. I've always chalked this up to narrative descriptions of combat though. A poor roll may be the result of the grip slipping on a weapon (as can a low damage roll or surprisingly successful disarm roll against the character), or even sweat or blood dripping into the eyes.