Brainstorming Seaview

Mark Rand

• 6 months later...

Re: Brainstorming Seaview

One of the best Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea sites is: http://www.vttbots.com. From there, click on Mike's zone, then fanfiction. Two great links are NIMR Reports and Daffron & Delaney's site.

On the NIMR site, if you click on business, you'll be able to access a map of the institute. If you click on technologies, you'll be able to access, among other things, plans of the Seaview. Given fiber optics and the photonic mast, which replaces the periscope, the plans are perfect for the current Seaview.

On Daffrom & Delaney's site, you can find stories about the original SSRN Seaview and their new sub, the SSRN Harriman Nelson. My version of the Seaview uses the crew of the Harriman Nelson and adds Beverly Connors, PhD (a marine biologist and mermaid), and a cat.

if you look a subs built after WW2 like the Skipjack class they have the main sonar array right in front where the tube go

since torpedoes even unguided ones use gyros to give them their course heading after being launched it really does not matter where they are on the ship or which direction thay launch in except if the target is really close(under 500 yrds for unguided torps)

don't forget that the Seaview grounded herself on the bottom many times either on porpose or by damage taken so having an air lock just on the bottom would be a bad thing

Most modern subs have 2 airlock 1 fore and 1 aft with the nuke reactor in the middle that way if the ship is damaged the crew does not have to pass by the reactor to escape

One of the coolest submarines is the SSRN Seaview from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. As I look through the various plans for it on the net, I've noticed that the torpedo tubes and airlock systems are, like on the show, in the missile room,

It's reasonable on the show, because that way you can build fewer sets, but in real life, it should be different. I think that, assuming it has three decks, that the observation nose should be on the top deck, the forward torpedo room on the center deck, and the Flying Sub hanger should be on the botton deck. The diving bell and minisub hangers should also be on the bottom deck, along with the diver airlock and related systems.

if you look a subs built after WW2 like the Skipjack class they have the main sonar array right in front where the tube go

since torpedoes even unguided ones use gyros to give them their course heading after being launched it really does not matter where they are on the ship or which direction thay launch in except if the target is really close(under 500 yrds for unguided torps)

don't forget that the Seaview grounded herself on the bottom many times either on porpose or by damage taken so having an air lock just on the bottom would be a bad thing

Most modern subs have 2 airlock 1 fore and 1 aft with the nuke reactor in the middle that way if the ship is damaged the crew does not have to pass by the reactor to escape

Good points.

If memory serves me, the two bulges near the nose hold the main sonar arrays.

probaly right

also newer subs(688I,Ohio,Sea Wolf and Virgina)now have a tail that has a passive sonar senor on it and the cable is up to 1000' long and helps by giving a longer base line for triangulating targets(targets within 30 degrees of the bow or stern are out of arc for the enhanced baseline detection but can still be heard)

this system only really works if the sub is going in a straight line

it takes about 3 minutes to straighten out after a turn

so tacking every 12 minutes at least 60 degrees should give you good sonar perception for 10 min out of ever 15 min

newer subs also get senors along the hull that act as a synthetic appepature

giving finer detail on what is heard on sonar

Good points.

If memory serves me, the two bulges near the nose hold the main sonar arrays.

probaly right

also newer subs(688I,Ohio,Sea Wolf and Virgina)now have a tail that has a passive sonar senor on it and the cable is up to 1000' long and helps by giving a longer base line for triangulating targets(targets within 30 degrees of the bow or stern are out of arc for the enhanced baseline detection but can still be heard)

this system only really works if the sub is going in a straight line

it takes about 3 minutes to straighten out after a turn

so tacking every 12 minutes at least 60 degrees should give you good sonar perception for 10 min out of ever 15 min

newer subs also get senors along the hull that act as a synthetic appepature

giving finer detail on what is heard on sonar

Nice.

Unlike most subs, Seaview, which is 600-feet long, has windows in her nose and there are video cameras in the nose (in the searchlight housing), in the sail (one looking forward and and another looking up), and in the tail.

As far as airlocks go, the missile room airlock has hatches in both the keel and on top. There's also an emergency airlock in the sail.

• 2 weeks later...

were the deckplans ever posted?

or are they a work in progress

I haven't posted the proper ones because I don't have the rights to them. You can find them by going to http://www.nimr.org and clicking on technology. There, you'll find, among other things, places to click to see the Seaview blueprints.

• 10 months later...

One of the best Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea sites is: http://www.vttbots.com. From there, click on Mike's zone, then fanfiction. Two great links are NIMR Reports and Daffron & Delaney's site.

....On Daffrom & Delaney's site, you can find stories about the original SSRN Seaview and their new sub, the SSRN Harriman Nelson. My version of the Seaview uses the crew of the Harriman Nelson and adds Beverly Connors, PhD (a marine biologist and mermaid), and a cat.

As 1 of the owners of the D&D site, thanks for the credit. However, we've VERY protective of our original characters and it would have been nice had we had asked before the use of Baker and Rosen. We're very proud of all the bios and characters we've done, so please understand that we have to be very careful who can "play" with them, and in what way.