Need a Name for a Temporal Prison

Blue

Re: Need a Name for a Temporal Prison

The game's Time Cops (ANACH) have a stasis prison where time does not pass. I'm not using the prison itself tomorrow in the finale of this run of my campaign' date=' but I do need to drop the name.[/quote']

Does the criminal come out older with no time having passed on the outside or does the criminal come out the same age with time having passed on the outside? In the first, you're speeding up time for the criminal, but releasing them to the world they left behind. In the second, you're stopping time for the criminal, but releasing them to a world that left them behind.

If it's the latter, then the prisoner really doesn't get time to think about what they've done, which is one of the main reasons for having a prison. They would also be significantly behind the technology curve and their useful skills (if any) may also be outdated. Essentially, they go to sleep and wake up at some time in the future. If they weren't screwed up before, this won't help.

If it's the former (which is what I think you were looking at), then the non-prison uses would seem to significantly outweigh the use of the technology for prisons. You could literally buy time by stepping inside the prison. Years of testing on medical procedures and pharmaceuticals could be done instantly. The people actually working in the zone would age, but could be compensated appropriately for their sacrifice. If nothing else, think of all the college students who could procrastinate up to the last second and still wouldn't need extensions on their papers! ;)

Joking aside, this would have the potential to screw up people pretty badly. They couldn't have contact with family or friends for the duration of their sentence. Anything could happen to them inside and nobody would know about it (they went in for a two year sentence and came out dead). Anyone working at the prison would face the same fate. How do you know they were really in there for the required time? Time alteration makes messes - BIG messes.

Assuming that someone on the inside has control of when anyone returns to the outside, then this can be managed a little better. A guard goes in for his 8-hour shift and gets dropped back into realtime eight hours later. Ten prisoners received on the same day can go back after differing sentences to the same point in time.

I don't know about the whole time prison thing. Give me a good old fashioned extradimensional prison or imprison people in their own minds and I'm a lot more comfortable. :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic