House Rule: SFX Default For Adjustment Powers

Proposal

Adjustment Powers should be defined as affecting a single SFX by default. If one can make a convincing argument for having an Adjustment Power affect a single mechanic, yet still affect the infinite number SFX then it should be modeled with Advantages/Limitations as needed.

I've yet to hear of convincing argument for affecting single mechanic yet affecting all the SFX that can be defined for that mechanic.

Some may bring up Characteristics as such a usage, but Characteristics don't meet the definition I've described above. Characteristics already have built-in SFX included.

STR: Human Template [Lift, Damage, and so forth via Bio-Electrical Muscles otherwise known as simply Strength SFX]

DEX: Human Template [Reaction time via Bio-Electrical Impulse system or simply known as Nervous System SFX]

I'll add the other later when I have more time.

Anyway, the point is that Characteristics don't have the infinite number of SFX since the template being applied (whether Human, Vehicle, and so forth) automatically assigns the SFX to the mechanics as the default SFX.

So and Adjustment Power vs STR may make sense against Characters, it may make no sense vs Vehicles. Thus even with Characteristics, it still makes more sense to define an Adjustment Power vs the SFX as opposed to the mechanic.

This thread is just for discussion sake so have at it. (8^D)

- Christopher Mullins

Re: House Rule: SFX Default For Adjustment Powers

IMO this shouldn't even be considered a 'house rule'. It should just be the way it the game works, as Adjustment powers on Powers instead of stats should only effect sfx and not individual powers.

For example, the game currently allows Ginny the Buff Goddess to buy an Aid to EB.

Icky the Ice Donkey has a Penetrating No KB EB that is defined as making tiny

little spheres of absolute zero appear inside the target

Bobby the Bullet Donkey has a Beam effect Slingshot with No Range mods

Susan the Sound Donkey has an AoE one hex NND Sonic EB

Damien the Druggy Donkey has a Reduced Penetrating Damage Shield EB Oh you get the point

These abilities are all COMPLETELY UNRELATED and they are all bought as EB

Thats why Hero is awesome

And why non stat affecting Adjustment powers should be based on SFX

The idea that an adjustment power has a defined special effect, and therefore has a default set of things it does and doesn't logically affect, seems like an assumption that is already inherent in the system under the banner of "reasoning from effect" and "special effects." You don't need to house rule it, in my opinion.

The idea that an adjustment power has a defined special effect' date=' and therefore has a default set of things it does and doesn't logically affect, seems like an assumption that is already inherent in the system under the banner of "reasoning from effect" and "special effects." You don't need to house rule it, in my opinion.[/quote']I think Chris is just suggesting that this should be explicitly stated in the Rules FAQ and not simply left as reasoning from effect. If there's anything these boards have illustrated, it's that we Hero players often have wildly divergent views on what constitutes "reason."

I can see two potential issues with this (but I must say at the outset despite these I provisionally agree it's a good idea):

• Non-Power adjustments normally work fine without sfx. I'm thinking of things like Gravity Increase defined as Drain STR, or Adrenaline Rush defined as Aid STR, Absorption that feeds STR, or paralysis that is defined as a DEX and SPD Drain. However, I guess none of those are show stoppers as all of them, as I've just defined, have a special effect that might not always be appropriate.
  • Special Effects are a bit of an Achilles Heel in Hero for adjustment powers. There's no real consensus on how broad or tight a group they should comprise. Sometimes you'll see "Drain All Fire Magic", other times you'll get "Aid All Magic". "Drain Mutant Abilities" or "Transfer Superpowers". And more generally, if there are more Fire based villains around than Sonic based villains, then Drain Fire Powers is more useful than Drain Sonic Powers - there is no cost break for this, though Vulnerabilities to each have different values. It seems appropriate to bring this up for adjustment powers because it's there that this hole is most obvious. Were the core rule to be that adjustment powers worked against sfx, then some sort of guidelines for cost differentials based on commonality would be appropriate.

I think what he meant was that you link the power AND the SFX, because you would need an advantage to do "all fire powers", but "fire based EBs" would not require an advantage, and makes more sense than "EBs" because of the vast array of sfx an EB can have.

I think what he meant was that you link the power AND the SFX' date=' because you would need an advantage to do "all fire powers", but "fire based EBs" would not require an advantage, and makes more sense than "EBs" because of the vast array of sfx an EB can have.[/quote']

Correct.

- Christopher Mullins