Machine Control Power(s)?

The Monster

I thought I'd run this by and see how people react.

I'm starting my first Champions campaign soon (I've been running other Hero for >15 years), and one of the players came up with an interesting concept: machine control. Inspired in part by young Anakin Solo. Basically, the idea is that the character talks or communes with the target machine and can then repair it or take control of it.

But how to do this in Hero?

Repair is easy in concept, an Aid or Healing limited only to machines (or maybe Regeneration usable by others?).

For taking over machines, I came up with two solutions. The first is a linked Psychokinesis, limited to only machine controls, with a linked Clairsentience, limited to an operator/pilot perspective. That way the hero can take control of a vehicle remotely (probably limited to LOS on the vehicle as well).

The other is a little more radical: a ranged Summon AI. Since all the AI needs is a TF, PS, and/or System Ops skills, plus a small PK to move controls about, it's really cheap, even after adding Loyal to Summoner and Broad Class of Summonable Entities (to reflect different machine types). Throw in a Mind Link to the summoned AI and you've got yourself an independent self-controlled car/helicopter/tank/etc.

Does all this sound kosher? I'm just looking for possible rules and plot problems (and maybe a pat on the back for creativity?).

Sling and arrows PD - up and running...

Sounds reasonable to me. You might also want to consider using various Mental Powers on computers, AIs etc. Mind Scan, Telepathy and especially Mind Control would be very useful and appropriate. Do you have the 5th Edition rulebook or The Ultimate Mentalist? Those books have rules and guidelines for how to use Mental Powers on machines, and UM has tips on Psychokinesis.

You might also give thought to picking up the new UNTIL Superpowers Database - it covers a bunch of machine control powers, with examples already statted out, as well as nearly any other type of power you can imagine.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

You might also give thought to picking up the new UNTIL Superpowers Database - it covers a bunch of machine control powers, with examples already statted out, as well as nearly any other type of power you can imagine.

I second that.

I think either of those forms of machine control you describe would work Monster, but the controlling character or summoned AI would need a lot of different TF's and PS's to be able to operate any machine at all. Maybe you could allow a skill VPP connected with the control.

I've been wondering about these same things when I created some villians with machine control powers based on mind control. How would machine mind control work if used on a device without intelligence, like a vacum cleaner or a bomb? I was planning on ruling that it can be done; but the device has 0 EGO and there's a -30 penalty to the effect since there's barely any mind there to control.

Your psychokinesis method of building the power would work better in that situation. As long as it's got controls, it can be manipulated.

I've been wondering about these same things when I created some villians with machine control powers based on mind control. How would machine mind control work if used on a device without intelligence, like a vacum cleaner or a bomb?

That's why I came up with the Summon AI. The idea is that the character somehow awakens the spirit of the machine, to communicate with it and manipuulate it. The AI controls the machine itself; the character only directly controls the AI. The summoned AI is a character unto itself, with INT and EGO, so it can be influenced by mental powers just like anyone else (assuming they can do it on machine minds).

I had thought of doing the power as a Transform (machine to machine with AI) but that's way too expensive and has the problem of making it harder to work with a car than a vacuum cleaner - plausible, but not the effect I was seeking.

The skill points are cheap; I think I just threw in ten points of various skills for the summoned AI - the specific skills vary, which is why I added in the broad range of entities adder.

Given that the AI is a seperate character (though loyal to the summoner), it will have a mind of its own about just what and how to do things. A bomb AI will have a deep desire to blow something up - that's its whole raison d'etre, after all. Self-preservation (for anything other than a bomb) also is a basic drive. Some potential amusing roleplaying here (remember the movie "Dark Star," anyone?).

The charcter concept as described to me is more mechanical than electronic or computerist. AIs can be hit with standard Mind Control, since they have EGO; computers (no EGO but INT) I'm not sure about - they may require to be convinced (through Programming or interpersonal interaction). It might be possible to infuse computer with a summoned AI, and have the two engaged in a continual battle of wits (contested INT/skill rolls for either to do anything).

Originally posted by The Monster

I've got 5th, the new Champions, Star Hero, and Vehicles. I was leaning toward UNTIL Database already. Sounds like I'll have to pony up (sigh - at least it's in the best of causes).

Besides the wonderful list of Cyberkinetic Powers in the printed USPD, there are several good ones in the online version. :D

(I just sent Steve a new batch a week or so ago, but either he didn't get it -- I had a similar problem with the previous batch -- or he's been too busy trying to get the new VIPER book in place.)

I have used Telekinesis for this in my games. I have a villain called Daemon who controls mechanical devices using magic. I bought it as TK. The special effect is that the object moves toward the person and attacks. Just a special effect of a TK grab and bludgeon. ;)

I had a character who could control any form of metal, and faced some dilemmas as well. Some of the ideas I used were:

TK: only to manipulate metal. Basically, I can lift things, but only with the metal that might be around. In your case, perhaps TK with fine manipulation to "work machine controls"

Mind Control: obviously limited to metal, but also to control power armored characters and robots (I was controlling the physical power suit, but not the body inside it; it was along for the ride).

I agree, however, that a small VPP is usually a good idea for "special circumstances." I had a 30 point VPP to make things like weapons and armor from cars, transformation attacks on large objects (of course, it took a long time), etc.

One of my players wanted to control any vehicle with a computer in it (basically anything built after the emissions laws qualified)...he thought it was Mind Control, and I made him buy TK...the special effect being he could manipulate the vehicles a' la T3.

A mere virus couldn't make a car act that way...unless it was a transformation attack giving an onbooard AI. The Summon effect could be useful for that..."Summon invasive electronics control virii", I can see it now. I hope he doesn't read this board.

IMHO::

TK is for unintelligent machinery

Mind Control is for computers and AI

Keep in mind, according to FREd, you can utilize mental powers through a Mind Scan, so range doesn't really need to be a factor. A TK of the psychokinetic variety could "concievably" work over a Mind Scan/Mind Link. A normal TK could function over an appropriate Clairsentience ability. I am muchly impressed by the Terminator's multitasking ability though. This even leads to some interesting effects, if you cannot control the onboard AI of an operation system, you still have the option of trying to hack control of particular areas (brute force TK to try and control the object),

Can anyone with STAR HERO tell me if they constructed cyberspace with Extra-Dimensional movement? Or did they use the inherent aspects of Mind Scan?