How to start a War

red_eagle123

This is the background for the storyline going on in my game right now. I'm still fleshing out some of the details (Such as the name of the alien race, etc).

Nearly 4000 years ago, the planet Earth was approached by a galactic level entity, intent on establishing rules that would govern existence as humans knew it. This self-appointed Judge would select individuals to represent the spectrum of human existence, and let them decide on the course of Humanity’s future. Why Earth was chosen is not known, but apparently the rules applied to Earth affect any other planet within the Milky Way.

However Earth, and more specifically the chosen representatives, had already been approached by an alien race from beyond the Milky Way. A highly technologically oriented species, they convinced the representatives that the best way to advance themselves would be to throw off the shackles of outside magical influences. This would allow the humans to develop technology on their own, towards the ‘perfection’ demonstrated by this alien race.

Accepting their decision, the Judge outlawed any of the realms of magic to have any contact with mortals. Grudgingly, the realms of magic accepted, even though for a few this would cause their demise. Without the worship of mortals, their power would wane until they faded from existence. The Alien Species stepped forward, volunteering to accelerate the transfer by masquerading as the various Gods to usurp their power. The stated plan would be to allow this to occur for a few years, gradually showing these new gods were in fact nothing more than mortal beings using technology the humans could use.

This was seen as an acceptable situation, and the Judge decreed for this to go forward. The Judge then moved on, presumably to another galaxy. The Alien Race created human like beings and started their process of removing the gods. However the various realms of magic discovered the truth that the Alien Race had unduly influenced the judgment, and tried to fight back. Unfortunately they were too weak by this time, and their resistance seemed doomed to failure.

Then a new leader appeared, rallying the various factions of magic together, and leading a united front against the Alien Race. With the Alien Race ejected, the realms of magic relaxed, keeping in contact with the humans in direct opposition of the ruling.

Now the Judge is returning, to oversee the progress of the planet called Earth. A new set of representatives will be selected, and corrections made to the progression of Humanity made as necessary.

Seeing this, the realms of magic are starting to strike, rallying together to try and stop the idea of technology from being so powerful (as it was in the past). The Alien Race have also returned, trying to influence the judgment again. And so begins the war between the forces of Magic and the forces of Technology.

Re: How to start a War

So how are the PC's involved? Well... the PC’s are the next group of representatives for the Judge. They have an even mix of technology and magic among their group, they've been in contact with lots of the movers and shakers on both sides of the conflict, or are otherwise directly impacted by either magic or technology.

Also, little do the forces of magic or technology realize, but the PC’s were directly responsible for the forces of magic winning their fight against the alien race those many years ago. One of their members was amnesiac, and turned out to be the god who stepped forward to rally the other realms together and fend off the forces of technology.

Well, with 30 views and no comments, let me ask the general population for some help.

Any suggestions for what to name a cosmic being who passes judgment on planets? How about for a highly advanced alien race that loves to interfere?

Ideally I'd want both names to be somewhat neutral sounding. Most of my players are big sci-fi nerds (more TV and movie than comic book however), so any names ripped from those sources are likely to be spotted. My goal is to slowly start presenting the truth in pieces, and the alien race to initially be presented as altruistic and beneficial. So names like 'Borg' would color that perception obviously.

So.... Help?

It's hard to give an cosmic being like that a name: Watcher and Guardian Enforcer and Elder have all been used. Throw out a bunch of ideas and see which one the heroes like.

For the name of the alien race, you could just go with "the Alliance". You can then drop hints that the Alliance isn't a happy collection of races... later.

Well, with 30 views and no comments, let me ask the general population for some help.

Any suggestions for what to name a cosmic being who passes judgment on planets? How about for a highly advanced alien race that loves to interfere?

Ideally I'd want both names to be somewhat neutral sounding. Most of my players are big sci-fi nerds (more TV and movie than comic book however), so any names ripped from those sources are likely to be spotted. My goal is to slowly start presenting the truth in pieces, and the alien race to initially be presented as altruistic and beneficial. So names like 'Borg' would color that perception obviously.

So.... Help?

OK, just to make it clear, you are not pushing either side as the bad guyz?

So, they you wouldn't be interested in "Cthulhuvians" or some such for the Outside magician faction? (though that might be what the techies call them).

For the tech guyz, "Borg" is out, but "Collective?" Probably too laden with connotations. "the Technocracy"? Then you could give all kinds of propaganda about merit promotions vs social ladders, etc.

There are plenty of synonyms for "judge". "Arbiter" and "Arbitrator" look good. "Evaluator" fits, but isn't a very awesome name. "His costume includes a green hatband and a jeweler's loube..."

Are you looking for a fitting title, or a formal one?

Midas

I like the Technocracy, fairly neutral term (far as I can tell at least).

I also like the idea of it being an alliance of alien races.

As for the name for the 'judge', I guess I'd be looking for a title either assigned by the humans, or a title he/she/it would refer to itself (or most likely, an easy to remember name that the humans can pronounce)... I dunno, I guess I'm just looking for something that seems appropriate.

Arbiter does sound better than Judge...

As for your earlier questions, Borg is definitely out, as is the Collective... far too laden with connotations. My goal is definitely not to paint either side as the obvious bad guys. However each side is obviously considering their opposite side evil, and will do their level best to color the truth to sway the opinions of the PC's.

My 2 cents.

The judge entity: Adjudicator, Arbiter, heck you could even call it the Jury as it is an entity that judges but doesn't make the ruling.

It might even be a multifaceted entity, the part the PC's get to know is the Jury while the Judge is always watching the proceedings. That way the PC's can have this nice warm fuzzy relationship with it while not actually interfering with the proceedings.

As for the forces of magic call them something like: The Spectrum or even The Circle, something which implies a unification of differing forces.

The Technocratic aliens, maybe: The co-operative, what could be less threatning than co-operation? :angel:

Anyway as I said my 2 cents

This sounds like an interesting long-term campaign. I especially like the way that Earth was truly made to be the guiding planet for the entire galaxy. It does explain why we have never heard from other life in the galaxy. There is none that has the ability to communicate over stellar distances (except for this one that is now returning), so we cannot hear them.

As for the ruling judge: It is actually a blending of different beings. The one that everyone sees and knows about is the judge, regardless of its name. However this judge cannot make decisions without disappearing for some time to consult some jury that is somewhere else. The judge will only be able to do what the jury directs it to do and enforce the jury's ruling. During the trial, the judge can rule if certain things are allowed or witnesses allowed, what testimony can be presented or removed from record. Basically think of a conventional US trial on a cosmic scene and that is where I am going.

The Aliens will return and lead their side before the judge and also try to sway public opinion that their side is the right side, as will the forces of magic. In actuality neither side will be entirely correct in everything, nor entirely wrong in everything even though that is the impression that they are presenting.

Hope that you like what I have stated here. Good luck and fun gaming!! :bounce::doi:

So.... Help?

why do you like war ??

Judge: Tribunal, Tribune, Consul, Praetor, Quaestor, (gotta love Roman names for gravitas), Magistrate, Archon, or look up something similar from another historical culture (Persian or Chinese have the most historical umph).

If you want a classical or mythic subtext to the tech aliens (which their history of playing pseudo gods seems to support) name them after one of the more obscure Trickster gods.

Love your campaign idea, very fleshed out and original. \

As far as names for the Alien Race goes... Prometheans? Naturally one given to them by Humans (or maybe they chose it as a translation for Humans after scanning human mythology).

And naming them after some obscure Trickster god is also a very cool idea.

And lastly, what about if instead of the Judge convening with a jury physically as others have suggested, why not the Judge actually be made up of various Mortals who have been combined into a single being. The best and brightest of a planet molded into one ultimate being tasked with the guiding of their parent race. This way it would be a single being with a single voice, but would at all times be holding session within itself, the various conciousnesses arguing their own points, while the lead Judge conciousness controls the physical aspects.

Just a few thoughts. Keep up the good work. Kudos!