How to: Power gets used up

McCoy

I get weaker and weaker and weaker still

Without my Underdog Super Vitamin Pill!

A power suite that can get "used up" between charges. How would you do that?

I'm thinking an END battery, for ease of the math say 100 END, and all the powers, even such as DEX, SPD and armor that don't normally use END, can only be used in proportion to the END remaining in the battery.

What would tat be worth as a limitation? I'm thinking -1/2, but maybe more?

Anyone got other suggestions?

Again, thanking everyone in advance!

Re: How to: Power gets used up

I'd probably go with -3/4 on it. Assuming you run it all the way down every adventure, its average effectiveness would be about half that of an unlimited equivalent, which would be -1. Assuming you have enough END to keep that from happening most of the time, I'd drop it to -3/4. If you rarely go under 50% power it might be -1/2, but then you'd be looking at a fairly inefficient build (or redundant, I guess you say)...you'd have twice as much power as you need.

A power suite that can get "used up" between charges.

Uh, you mean a bunch of powers, like saying "a suite of rooms" or a thing you wear like Ironman's "Power Suit"?

But it works either way. :D

My guess, "a suite of powers" cause yer being vauge and general.

This feels like an Elemental Control to me I can't put my finger on why but it does.

Aid Everything (+2), Delayed Fade Rate (however long you feel is appropriate), IAF (Pills), X Charges.

Aid has a built in fade rate. This assumes you don't want it to fade faster as it's used though...

Nice idea but there's a prob. If the powers are suposed to fade down to nothing or a whole lot they need to be bought as like 1/2d6 or 0d6 and the Aid has a lot of dice or a whole lot of Increased Maximum Affect.

Sounds clumsy to me.

Uh, you mean a bunch of powers, like saying "a suite of rooms" or a thing you wear like Ironman's "Power Suit"?

This feels like an Elemental Control to me I can't put my finger on why but it does.

A bunch of [related] powers, like saying "a suite of rooms."

Aid Everything (+2), Delayed Fade Rate (however long you feel is appropriate), IAF (Pills), X Charges.

Aid has a built in fade rate. This assumes you don't want it to fade faster as it's used though...

How did I miss that?

It certainly is an elegant solution, on the other hand I like the idea that if you Push you're lowering your own defenses.

Again, thanks for all the feedback so far!

Aid would probably be prohibitivly expensive for the effect that you'd get, since aid allpowers of a specific special effect at once is a +2 advantage, and then you'd have to buy down the fade rate. Also, the power would fade over time, rather than with the expenditure of the end reserve.

A bunch of [related] powers' date=' like saying "a suite of rooms." [/quote']

Thanks for clearing me up. :)

Aid would probably be prohibitivly expensive for the effect that you'd get' date=' since aid allpowers of a specific special effect at once is a +2 advantage, and then you'd have to buy down the fade rate. Also, the power would fade over time, rather than with the expenditure of the end reserve.[/quote']

Let's see, want the powers to "top out" at around 60 Active points. Buy the powers at the 10 point level, so there is something to Aid. To Aid the powers 50 points would take 17 dice of AID with Standard effect. 170 base points. +2 to Aid all powers of the Sx at the same time, 510 points. The extra fifty points will fade in two minutes unless we buy down the fade rate, so extra power gone in 50 minutes (no), three hours twenty minutes (no), ten hours (no), two and a half days (that's the one); so fade five points per six hours for and additional + 1 1/4, 722 points. Take one charge per 24 hours (-2) and OIF (- 1/2) and we have a real point total of 206. Expensive, but possibly doable.

I suppose the cost/benefit ratio depends on how many powers you want to aid

yep

:jawdrop: Yesus, how many points you building on? 206 ain't "doable" in my book. :jawdrop:

YMMV and shtuff.

If you've got an elemental control of seven 10-point powers, that's 40 points. Plus 206 for the AID to ramp the 10 point powers to 60 point powers, 246 points. Leaves over a hundred points for non-heroic ID characteristics and skills.

Haven't written up the other method yet.

Another option might be to make the power pill a compound power with several different layers of continuing charges. So something like:

+X STR, +X DEX, +X CON, +X" Flight, IAF, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 hours plus +X STR, +X DEX, +X CON, +X" Flight, IAF, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 5 hours... and so forth.

Again, haven't figured out the actual costs involved there.

Or you could largely skip the limitations rout and go with come combination of Dependence and Accidental Changes.

Crazy thought that struck me yesterday (can't discuss the details, according to our respective lawyers....)

What about an END reserve, and then an Aid to the Reserve's recovery that's got Continuing Charges?

Simulates not only that the Reserve drains and stays drained, but also that the 'recharge' takes some time.

Just a thought.

Here's how I would build it:

40 pts. EC with 7 powers each

Succor - Standard Effect - All Have following : 0 End Persistent, Variable Effect (All Powers Simultaneously), Self-Only

34 pts. 3d6 Succor Only if END RES>0 (-1/4)

20 pts. 2d6 Succor Only if END RES>25% (-1/2)

16 pts. 2d6 Succor Only if END RES>50% (-1)

13 pts. 2d6 Succor Only if END RES>75% (-1 1/2)

Total Cost: 123 pts.

Each power will be at 60 pts. at full power; 48 pts. at 75%; 36 pts. at 50%; 24 pts. at 25%; and 10 pts. at 0%

Compare to your original idea - which costs: 143 pts. (You had twice as much Aid as needed - Remember simultaneous Aid will add to both the base and the powers for twice the effect - I think - checking.) I think this will get you the effect you want.

Another option might be to make the power pill a compound power with several different layers of continuing charges. So something like:

+X STR, +X DEX, +X CON, +X" Flight, IAF, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 hours plus +X STR, +X DEX, +X CON, +X" Flight, IAF, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 5 hours... and so forth.

Again, haven't figured out the actual costs involved there.

Believe if you're Aiding more than three powers the +2 advantage would be more cost effective.

Or you could largely skip the limitations rout and go with come combination of Dependence and Accidental Changes.

Humm, seven forms, from 60 AP in each power, to 50 to 40 and so forth down to Zero. Chance of accidental change every time a power is pushed, or after six hours even if no power pushed.

Then the pill would be a one-charge change to the most powerful form?

Could work.

END Reserve: 100 points in reserve (10 points), 24 REC (24 points) (REC is doled out 2 points/Segment), Recovers only during 5 minutes after taking PowerPill (-1). Cost 10+24/2=22 points.

Then put -3/4 on all powers "Only In Perportion To How Full END Reserve Is".

Simple and cheap. :D