Question: Build Ideas For SFX

schir1964

SFX

Mutant character has the ability to take someone's DNA (obtained by through taking skin, hair follicle, bodily fluids, or whatever) and copying it. Mutant's character's body takes the sample and begins cloning it and replacing his own existing DNA with the DNA of the sample for everything except his brain, which is where the source of his mutant powers resides.

Obviously, the ability to replicate DNA is an inherent ability of the character since he grew from just a few cells containing DNA by splitting and replication. His mutant ability simply allows him to do it with any DNA he possesses and at such a high rate it takes less than a minute to completely replace his DNA with another's (except his brain of course since that is where the source of all mutant powers come from).

Therefore, the SFX allows the Mutant Character to take on all the "normal" attributes that the DNA contains (no mutant powers obviously).

I'm looking for various ideas on how one would build this SFX as a GM or Player. This isn't a thread on what is the "correct" way to build this but instead what is absolutely necessary to build this SFX. I don't want a bunch of "it should be this way" or "that's wrong", just example builds.

Thanks.

- Christopher Mullins

Re: Question: Build Ideas For SFX

Hmmm... actually, since you're completely becoming a new person minus the brain (from how I read it anyway), what about a multiform with an advantage for being able to change the form? Or a Variable Power Pool limited only to a new multiform, perhaps, which would also allow you to expand later into hodge-podging things together, possibly. With the right limitations, it'd probably be the least clunky. The multiform is more streamlined, rather than buying the VPP to buy a multiforum, just make it a +1 advantage, OAF (DNA of opportunity?), and build the new form with his same mental stats every time.. perhaps as a disadvantage at -0.

My first question would be: what are his mutant powers, other than DNA cloning?

If he has any enhanced characteristics, then it complicates things slightly.

I think you would need multiform that allows you to take on any form, so it would need to be wrapped in a VPP (multiform only). That is the only real way you can mimic the physical characteristics of a target without fluffing - increased stats are easy buy reduced ones would require handwaving.

If the target had (say) 'natural' armour, that does not have a 'mutant' sfx, then can that be copied by the DNA cloning? What if the target has flight (wings), or another power defined by their sfx to be a part of the body?

I'd say the build is problematic, but interesting.

Far as I can see this is just another riff on the possession power - how do you get a character to completely replicate another?

When looking at the Jericho problem I gave the the character a transform and duplication. The transform made the target a duplicate of the character and the duplication was bought such that the character and the target were variant duplicates (the character in powers and the target in disads - so when the duplicates were combined the combination was the target power wise and the character personality wise.

This was limited - if the duplicate was only 300 points and the target 500 points then the SFX are that the control is not perfect and the possessor only has a limited control of the powers (and thus 200 points less powerful).

A head twist at first but makes sense mechanics wise.

In this instance you have a character who wants to become a duplicate of another character - so once again I think that the power has to be duplication. In this instance the duplication is bought with variable power effects, limited by the fact that it can only form someone where the relevant DNA is available. The character would have duplication UAA (to create the duplicate of the person - limited by the fact that the duplicate has no volition - worth no points as it is advantageous to the character) and this duplicate is then possessed as above.

It is an expensive option but logical.

Doc