Thoughts on a "Jynx" power?

matrix3

This post in the "Corrupt the Wish" thread reminded me of an NPC I was trying to build some time ago but gave up on. He would be a very friendly NPC, but he just happens to "siphon" the luck from those around him. Something like "6d6 luck, only 1d6 per person within 10 meters", and couple it with a "Jynx power". I am unsure of how to apply advantages or disadvantages as powers to affect other characters, but I think it would be something like:

1d6 unluck, Usable As Attack, Area of Effect, personal immunity, uncontrolled, always on.

So that anyone in his presence would have 1d6 of unluck, while he would accumulate that much luck. Would this sort of thing work?

Re: Thoughts on a "Jynx" power?

I think the easiest way to handle this sort of thing is with a Variable Power Pool, No Time Required To Change (+1), No Skill Roll Required To Change (+1), No Conscious Control (-2), Very Limited Type of Powers Available (can only simulate effects attributable to "bad luck"; -1).

If the jinx can choose when to use the unluck power, but can't control how it manifests, then reduce No Conscious Control (-2) to Limited Conscious Control (-1).

If the jinx can chose when to use it and how it manifests (as long as the manifestation is reasonably explainable as "bad luck"), then remove the No Conscious Control entirely.

Thanks! That could work, especially since this is an NPC. I was thinking it would be completely uncontrolled, with him unable to control any effects and with it always affecting anyone in the vicinity.

I just realized that calling it a "Jynx" power might make people think of Jynx, the character from Teen Titans who could make unlucky things happen to people. That wasn't my intention, I wanted the unluck power completely uncontrolled. In fact, I was going to have the NPC unaware that he was the source. He just thought he showed up right in the nick of time to save people.

I think the easiest way to handle this sort of thing is with a Variable Power Pool, No Time Required To Change (+1), No Skill Roll Required To Change (+1), No Conscious Control (-2), Very Limited Type of Powers Available (can only simulate effects attributable to "bad luck"; -1).

If the jinx can choose when to use the unluck power, but can't control how it manifests, then reduce No Conscious Control (-2) to Limited Conscious Control (-1).

If the jinx can chose when to use it and how it manifests (as long as the manifestation is reasonably explainable as "bad luck"), then remove the No Conscious Control entirely.

You beat me to it, and Repped.

I did it exactly this way with Snafu, a female luck-based villain I had in my Champions campaign years ago. She threw paper balls filled with dime-store glitter, and the people she hit had bad luck (a 60-point VPP, as Derek described, with Limited Conscious Control). BTW, the glitter balls weren't a focus, they were just a bit of subterfuge to make the players think they could somehow disarm her. :sneaky:

FYI, I suggest making a list of bad things that can happen, drawn up as powers, before play. You could do things like:

• Water Main Break -- 8d6 PB, Indirect
  • Falling Pane of Glass -- 2d6 AP RKA, AOE (hex)
  • Falling Tarp -- 4d6 Entangle, AOE (hex)
  • Weak Flooring -- 6d6 Suppress Running, AOE 3" radius.

... and so on.

Hmm, what are some other "bad luck" powers people can think of? Here are a couple off the top of my head:

"Missing Manhole Cover": Teleport, only to nearest sewer, OAF(manhole)

"I've got something in my eye": Sight flash

"Blue Screen of Death": Suppress Technology of some sort

"Broken Gumball Machine": Change Environment, -3 dex, AoE

Butterfingers: TK (40 STR), only to disarm

Jammed Weapon: 16d6 Dispel any one Technology power

Where Did That Flypaper Come From?: 6d6 Flash Sight, NND (Force Field)

Clogged Fuel Line: 6d6 Suppress Flight, Uncontrolled, 1/2 END = 2

Interference: 4" radius Darkness vs. Radio, 0 END

Falling Paint Can (just for fun): 8d6 Cosmetic Transform (to Neon Yellow -- ah, what the heck, add some feathers that just happened to be blowing past from a ripped pillow), 0 END

Downed Power Line / Lightning Strike / Broken Gas Pipe: 4d6 RKA

Some good ideas, I especially liked

Falling Paint Can (just for fun): 8d6 Cosmetic Transform (to Neon Yellow -- ah, what the heck, add some feathers that just happened to be blowing past from a ripped pillow), 0 END

in a similar vein:

"Wardrobe Malfunction": 3D6 Drain PRE, reduced end (0 END)

You forgot to link it to a MegaScale Area Effect Mind Control (One Command: Moral Indignation -1/2), Only vs. Uptight Nitwits (only -1/4 since there's so dang many of them...)

;)

D'oh! How could I forget that? :D

How about one for indoors:

"Where'd that chandelier come from?":5d6 EB (vs PD), indirect(from above),reduced END(0 END), plus 4d6 entangle

This post in the "Corrupt the Wish" thread reminded me of an NPC I was trying to build some time ago but gave up on. He would be a very friendly NPC, but he just happens to "siphon" the luck from those around him. Something like "6d6 luck, only 1d6 per person within 10 meters", and couple it with a "Jynx power". I am unsure of how to apply advantages or disadvantages as powers to affect other characters, but I think it would be something like:

1d6 unluck, Usable As Attack, Area of Effect, personal immunity, uncontrolled, always on.

So that anyone in his presence would have 1d6 of unluck, while he would accumulate that much luck. Would this sort of thing work?

Hmmm...I'd try Unluck 6D6 lim: Only effects friends and allies -1/2 20 pts

Luck 6D6 only gains 1D6 per feind or ally in range (say 10" radius)