Creative or merely munchkin

Psylint

Hey folks, new idea I had.

Later! 15" Teleport, Trigger when character Dodges. [Active Cost 38]

I figure if the character were so concerned about the incoming nastiness to Dodge it, he'd teleport away just to be on the safe side.

Thoughts? I figure it's a lot less munchkin than the Teleport UAA position shift damage shields out there, but I'm little munchkin.

Peace

Re: Creative or merely munchkin

I'd say this already exists via using Teleport to Dive For Cover and kinda unnecessary. :)
Except that Dodge increases your DCV and always works, while Dive For Cover lowers your DCV and has a chance of failure. ;)

The Teleport Triggered by Dodge isn't innately munchkiny, but I'd usually be inclined to disallow it (simply from a game-balance perspective) unless given a very strong reason not to. :)

Hey folks, new idea I had.

Later! 15" Teleport, Trigger when character Dodges. [Active Cost 38]

I figure if the character were so concerned about the incoming nastiness to Dodge it, he'd teleport away just to be on the safe side.

Thoughts? I figure it's a lot less munchkin than the Teleport UAA position shift damage shields out there, but I'm little munchkin.

Peace

Where does the character teleport to? Teleport's a movement action, and as such requires a destination that must be chosen. If the teleport's triggered, then the destination must be chosen in advance (in this case, 15" to the left, right, front, or back), in which case, beware of teleporting into solid objects.

Example: Fred Perry's Gold Digger comic had a villain with enchanted armor that would automatically (triggered with an automatic reset) teleport him behind an attacker when directly attacked in melee combat (it wouldn't work against disarms, but worked just fine against strikes). During a fight with Julia Diggers (mother of the stars of the story and Armsmaster of her homeworld, although she was suffering from arthritis at the time), the villain swiftly found himself disarmed, but when Julia went in for the kill, the armor teleported him behind her every time, giving him free shots at Julia's exposed (and very sore) back. Finally, sitting against a stone wall (where she fell) and with the villain closing in (boasting about his enchanted armor), Julia made a weak kick in his direction, and the armor automatically teleported him behind Julia...

... and into the wall. :D

He was stuck there for quite awhile. :eg:

Just a little food for thought.

I'm in the 'it's unnecessary' camp as well - abort to Dodge can use any form of movement, anyway - flight/leaping/swimming/running, and yes, teleporting. The game mechanic is the same. The issue of an abort to Dodge is whether or not you reacted fast enough to get out of the way; even with teleport, there's still a chance of getting shot before you hit the TP button.

Just purchase the Flying Dodge martial art, name it "teleport outta the way", and call it good. For a variant effect:

Combat Teleport: DCV +6, nonpersistent (-1/4), costs END (-1/2), AoE (1 hex, +1/2) leaves psychic residue (-1/4). 45 active, 23 real.

I'm in the 'it's unnecessary' camp as well - abort to Dodge can use any form of movement, anyway - flight/leaping/swimming/running, and yes, teleporting. The game mechanic is the same. The issue of an abort to Dodge is whether or not you reacted fast enough to get out of the way; even with teleport, there's still a chance of getting shot before you hit the TP button.

Just purchase the Flying Dodge martial art, name it "teleport outta the way", and call it good. For a variant effect:

Combat Teleport: DCV +6, nonpersistent (-1/4), costs END (-1/2), AoE (1 hex, +1/2) leaves psychic residue (-1/4). 45 active, 23 real.

or you know, +6 DCV, costs end (-1/2), leaves psychic residue (-1/4, only if you bring Pizza, otherwise -0) for 20 or ~17 depending on if you remembered I like Sausage and Peperoni on my pie