Food Supplies

Spence

OK dumb question time.

In HPA#2 Food Supplies are bought for an entire ship for 3 months.

This is for all the ships regardless of size or crew complement.

I'm probably over thinking it but shouldn't the cost be higher for larger crews?

And how would cost be impacted for longer or shorter periods of time (1 month or 6 months)?

Re: Food Supplies

I think you're overthinking it. ;)

Just establish a cost for "standard" food supplies for a "standard" ship's crew for a "standard" amount of time. If a ship has twice as much crew, double the "standard" cost. If their food is twice as good as standard fare, double the cost. If there are four ships, quadruple the cost. If the ships need supplies for three times the standard mission length, triple the cost. And so on. :)

I think you're overthinking it. ;)

Just establish a cost for "standard" food supplies for a "standard" ship's crew for a "standard" amount of time. If a ship has twice as much crew, double the "standard" cost. If their food is twice as good as standard fare, double the cost. If there are four ships, quadruple the cost. If the ships need supplies for three times the standard mission length, triple the cost. And so on. :)

Sounds like a good way to do it.

Thanks

I am revamping my entire Pulp Space world and will be redesigning my ships including the deck plans I have made. I will post my world and technology in the re-envisioned 1935 soon.

I'm somewhat assuming this is using some monetary system instead of points...

Nope - it's bought as Life Support with a Continuing Charge.

The Point Cost is the same because Life Support: No Need To Eat does not have a "time frame" for how long it lasts by default.

What you can assume is that a larger ship simply has more food as part of the SFX.

Figure out what a standard crew compliment is, figure out how much that is for three months - 10 people x3 meals/day x90 days will tell you how many "meals" are on board. That way you can figure out how long that food supply would last a different sized crew.

On the other hand - It's Space Pulp, that kind of thing is outside the purview of the genre. Worrying about it almost breaks the feel of Space Pulp completely. Unless it serves the plot of course.

On the other hand - It's Space Pulp, that kind of thing is outside the purview of the genre. Worrying about it almost breaks the feel of Space Pulp completely. Unless it serves the plot of course.

Yup, just over thinking it.

What really prompted the question was cost versus mission. A standard ships pays X pts for 3 months of food, but an exploration ship with the same # of crew that has a years supply pays what? The same? It was for the design templates of available rocketships. I'm an old wargamer and was getting caught up in the details :D

Just how many square feet is the toilet :eek:

I was forgetting it is Pulp :ugly:

"There's coffee in that there star..."

Remember, with 'transporter' technology, you can turn 'matter X' into 'energy Y', and then 'energy Y' into 'matter Z'. Any matter (garbage, stellar mass, chunks of rock) is able to be Transformed into any other sort of matter -- including food.

"Don't worry, I'll just go down to the Food-O-Matic."

"There's coffee in that there star..."

Remember, with 'transporter' technology, you can turn 'matter X' into 'energy Y', and then 'energy Y' into 'matter Z'. Any matter (garbage, stellar mass, chunks of rock) is able to be Transformed into any other sort of matter -- including food.

"Don't worry, I'll just go down to the Food-O-Matic."

Hey now :tsk: remember this is a Pulp campaign.

It should be the "Electro-Food-o-matic-atron" :D