How would you build this ability...?

Foxiekins

I have an NPC from older games... She can exude a low-temperature plasma, and control and confine it with interwoven magnetic flux... It protects her from attacks, but the material may also be used actively... If she is using some of it for something else, she has less of it protecting her...

It would be possible, to eventually strip this material away, by targeting it specifically, and doing damage faster than she could exude more... Also, the stuff is glowing yellow, and thus is obvious when she has the ability active...

Abilities usable would be Extra Limbs, Stretching, Swinging, Extra Running, and something akin to an Area Effect Entangle...

Any suggestions for how to stat it out...?

Re: How would you build this ability...?

To attack the Plasma give powers using it Physical Manifestation Limitation.

You could model it with an END Reserve, the REC helping to model how much she can exude to replace lost Plasma.

I don't remember that one... Is it in FRED, Revised, or elsewhere...?

The END reserve and Multipower are probably the easiest way to assemble this combo; for the 'you can deliberately target the plasma field to strip it away', I think I would put a Limitation similar to 'Physical Manifestation' on the END reserve, so that while it won't break, it'll have its END stripped away as though Drained. Not sure how much that'd be worth.

GM Tim says he'd build it one of two ways:

make the plasma a multipower which is ablative (so it would bleed off over time) or build it as a focus with the special affect of plasma; then you would be able to attack the focus.

Well, the results so far have been helpful... Thanks much, guys...

Now here's the tricky part... If the plasma is released from confinement, it explodes, like anything else contained under pressure...

She would be able to do this herself, and it would obviously be a power fueled from the END reserve... But if the plasma is shot away from her control, the same thing would happen to it... Which means that attacks can trigger involuntary use of the power...

Any suggestions...?

Side Effects, Major or Extreme (set off the EB/RKA the power possesses; level is equivalent to the damage the EB/RKA does), only when power is breached, only affects environment near the character: -1/4 at the most, and probably -0. This is a side-effect that would cause the villains to NOT want to strip the plasma field away; 'I power-fluxed her plasma field, and it blew me right off me feet!!' Not quite an advantage, but not really a disadvantage -- just notable F/X.

For the 'environment' part, roll for which 'arc' it fires towards, and if there's anyone that way, make a random roll to see if it 'targets' them. If it does, make a 0 OCV attack on that person, applying range modifiers. Maaaaybe they're hit; maaaaaybe they're not. Ya never know!!

This sounds like a VPP to me, as it seems a lot of abilities are covered here.

I'd run it off an END reserve as suggested, and limit the pool control cost so that all powers you create in the VPP have to cost END.

Then I'd require an addiitonal -0 control cost limitation that all defences built with the pool reduce the pool by the BODY damage done to them if specifically targeted (it is not much of a limitation and if the defences are being specifically targetted, you are not taking damage. Good trade off.)

In fact that does not make a lot of sense - why should 'specifically targeted' defences drain the pool quicker - they are taking the damage anyway? Ah well, it does not always have to make sense :).

As for the containment failure - well - does it hurt the character or the environment and everything in it? If so then I'd go with Side Effects, as has been suggested.

If not (for instance if the damage is in a path along the point of breach - which will usually be pointing at the breacher) then I might want to consider a limited use attack with a trigger.

As for the containment failure - well - does it hurt the character or the environment and everything in it? If so then I'd go with Side Effects, as has been suggested.

If not (for instance if the damage is in a path along the point of breach - which will usually be pointing at the breacher) then I might want to consider a limited use attack with a trigger.

Well, it's an explosion that occurs at the point where the plasma is sheared away, spreading out from that point like a normal explosion...

I have an NPC from older games... She can exude a low-temperature plasma' date=' and control and confine it with interwoven magnetic flux... It protects her from attacks...[/quote']

Force Field

... but the material may also be used actively... If she is using some of it for something else' date=' she has less of it protecting her...[/quote']

Multipower with Force Field as one of the powers. Most if not all the powers would be in flexible slots. The Reserve would be bigger (possibly significantly) than any single power.

It would be possible to eventually strip this material away by targeting it specifically and doing damage faster than she could exude more...

Buy the Multipower Pool (ONLY) with a Side Effect: 1d6 Drain From Targetted Attacks(-1/4). The Recovery (Fade?) Rate of the Drain is how fast she can "replenish" by exuding more.

Also' date=' the stuff is glowing yellow, and thus is obvious when she has the ability active...[/quote']

Visible(-1/4), or in the case of those powers that are already visible, "Noisy(-1/4)".

Abilities usable would be Extra Limbs' date=' Stretching, Swinging, Extra Running, and something akin to an Area Effect Entangle...[/quote']

IIRC, Extra Limbs is a Special Power and cannot be put in a framework. It's only 5 Active Points so don't sweat it. Apply Limitations "Noisy(-1/4)" and "Only While Multipower Is Active(-1/4)" to it for 3 Real Points.

Can you describe the AoE Entangle in more detail?

Can this explosion hurt the character? How big/powerful is the explosion?

I'm contemplating it as an 8d6 Explosion... If she has the power active, she has an rPD of at least 5, and a total PD of at least 10... rPD 25 and total PD of 30, if she puts the Multipower completely into defense... With a CON of 30, the chances are low of her CON-Stunning herself even at minimal protection and non-existant at higher levels, but she can take STUN damage from the effect even then...

I'm contemplating it as an 8d6 Explosion... If she has the power active' date=' she has an rPD of at least 5, and a total PD of at least 10... rPD 25 and total PD of 30, if she puts the Multipower completely into defense... With a CON of 30, the chances are low of her CON-Stunning herself even at minimal protection and non-existant at higher levels, but she can take STUN damage from the effect even then...[/quote']

Okay. What about her ED? Would it be about the same as her PD? Also, don't forget about knockback to her and others near her.

8d6 is a hefty explosion, considering that it would be a 60 Active Point power.

I'd build that sorta like (I don't have my 5er book with me):

31 She Go Boom!: Energy Blast 8d6 + Explosion(+½), Zero END(+½), Triggered (When Her Plasma Containment Is Pierced; +3/4) - No Conscious Control(-2), No Range(-½)

A strict interpretation of No Range would mean the explosion would always be centered on her. But I think most GMs would be willing to work with you on letting No Range mean wherever the penetration took place.

Okay. What about her ED? Would it be about the same as her PD? Also, don't forget about knockback to her and others near her.

8d6 is a hefty explosion, considering that it would be a 60 Active Point power.

I'd build that sorta like (I don't have my 5er book with me):

31 She Go Boom!: Energy Blast 8d6 + Explosion(+½), Zero END(+½), Triggered (When Her Plasma Containment Is Pierced; +3/4) - No Conscious Control(-2), No Range(-½)

A strict interpretation of No Range would mean the explosion would always be centered on her. But I think most GMs would be willing to work with you on letting No Range mean wherever the penetration took place.

Well, she has stretching as one of her powers, which lets you play about with where exactly she is...

I believe the official rules define the character as occupying the hex they are in, regardless of what they stretch outwards from there. For instance, if a character has Darkness - No Range as well as Stretching, they generally can't put the darkness at the extent of their Stretching -- it's where they are, not their limbs.

I would be concerned about such a character and her team developing the tactic where she stretches into the midst of the opponenets on Phase 12 and a teammate shoots her strethced limb, triggering the explosion in the midst of the opponents (and her limb). Then in PF12 recovering the "shot away" plasma. But maybe I'm worrying about nothing. :)