Legion Flight Ring?

TheQuestionMan

Legion Flight Ring - How would you build it?

http://en.dcdatabaseproject.com/Legion_Flight_Ring

Universal Translator -

Flight - ???

Force Field - ???

Faster-Than-Light (FTL) Travel - How fast?

Life Support (Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) (20 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

Cheers

QM

Re: Legion Flight Ring?

You're speaking of some modern incarnation of the flight ring, as, even up to Levitz's era on teh original run, there was none of the extras you note. Computo created 'utility belts' for the legionaires which contained atmosphere suits. And Booster Gold's was just flight, his force field and life support came from his battle suit.

Going back to the original created by Saturn Girl back in the 60's and all you've got is flight, around 20" worth, based upon will power, so an EGO roll would probably suffice.

Life Support came from their "transsuits", and the Universal Translator stuff from "telepathic earplugs". The rings do seem to have distress beacons, though.

I'm not sure about the FTL coming from their rings. A lot of the time they used ships, only using their rings over relatively short distances. I'd consider skipping it.

The actual functions of their rings seemed to have been developed over time. You could get away with simply buying flight. For that matter, you could even replace them with jet packs!

One thing to consider would be the writeups on The Great Net Book of Real Heroes. The LSH gear is written up in various entries, eg Saturn Girl. I wouldn't copy it directly, but I might hybridise these builds with the ones in Galactic Champions and Gadgets and Gear.

A general description of the flight ring's capabilities can be found here. That site is a good all-round reference for LSH stuff.

EDIT: Also, check out the Planetary Chance Machine on the Equipment Page. One of my sillier CUs had a directly copied "Orbital Probability Device".

Ah heck, Brainiac 5 made the flight rings? For some reason I have it in my head that it was Saturn Girl. Now why? Because she made the medalions that sapped all the other legionaires powers? Okay, gotta drag the old issues out and re-read when I get home.

And take some rep for the GNBORH link Assault. Very, very nice.

I did Legion Flight Rings twenty years back or so. If I remember correctly, I did 10" of flight, IIF, plus an OIF emergency beacon (I think I did it as 10d6 telepathy, limited to an emergency alert only to other flight rings or the headquarters with some obscene range bonuses, requiring both hands to be free (to twist the signet).

Were I going to do it today, I'd probably do it the same, plus some minor telekinesis requiring an EGO roll to activate, leave the beacon, but add a telepathy (communication only, character must be able to speak, only to other flight ring wearing characters or the HQ) to represent the holographic communication system.

Yeah, no FTL flight via the flight rings directly, however... the rings were linked together in such a way that everyone else

in the party could keep pace with the fastest flyer; if Mon-El were on a mission, everyone else on the mission could fly as fast as he did, but only to keep pace with him. Wish I could cite where I know this from, but that will take some research - most likely in a Legion Who's Who or possibly the Mayfair Games Legion supplements.