Practice

Khelendros

Thank you everyone who helped me make my first character with my first post (New to HERO/Discussion Board)

I will be using him in my first game this upcoming Sunday. I decided for fun to make a 2nd guy now that I think I know the rules better. It's just for practice so let me know where I messed up.

He is a Dwarf from a mythical realm that through magical means has ended up in our plane. Bringing with him A brown stone that is embedded on top his right hand that gives him powers to control and move on earth.

Re: Practice

Yey another Chance to Nip Pick on a Character by Khelendros (;))

Well here is a take I would have don on your character with some reservation to it, mainly the Focus limitation doesn't seem very appropriate here (unless the possibility to remove it is not an extreme effort) remember that Inaccessible does not mean irremovable it just means hard to remove in a combat situation (Like a ring or a set of armor) also the Obvious part does not mean its an obvious object it means that it's obvious that the focus is the source of the power used,so I only let it be obvious when you use your more flashy abilities.

All in all this is a slightly different character and also I left 15 points of disadvantages so you can pick some campaign specific ones like Hunted and such.

EDIT: LOL I forgot to actually post the Character file for your observation

Okay I have having to download checking it out coming back here etc. so I'll post the character here. If you want to do it yourself, go to the HERO Designer web page vault export templates and pick one that is an .RTF (rich text format) or .TXT. Export the character to that, then just copy and paste into a post.

ONYX SPLINTERSHIELD

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

60 STR 11 21- Lift 102.4tons; 12d6; [2]

18 DEX 24 13- OCV 6 DCV 6

29 CON 20 15-

15 BODY 10 12-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

18 EGO 16 13- ECV: 6

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

10 COM 0 11-

17/29 PD 5 Total: 17/29 PD (4/16 rPD)

10/21 ED 4 Total: 10/21 ED (4/15 rED)

4 SPD 12 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

18 REC 0

58 END 0

61 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 115

Movement: Running: 6" / 12"

Swimming: 2" / 4"

Leaping: 12" / 24"

Flight: 22" / 176"

Cost Powers END

8 Sturdy as a Rock: +9 CON (18 Active Points); Linked (Earth Armor; -1/2), OIF Unbreakable (Stone of the Earth (Gem embeded on top part of hand); -1/2), Only When In Contact With The Ground (-1/4)

2 Life Support (Longevity: 400 Years) 0

4 Dwarven Resistance: Damage Resistance (4 PD/4 ED) 0

26 Power of Earth: +39 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (58 Active Points); Linked (Earth Armor; -1/2), OIF Unbreakable (-1/2), Only When In Contact With The Ground (-1/4)

17 Earth Mastery: Elemental Control, 60-point powers, (30 Active Points); all slots OIF Unbreakable (Stone of Earth (Gem embeded on top part of hand); -1/2), Only When In Contact With The Ground (-1/4)

15 1) Earthmoving: Telekinesis (33 STR), Fine Manipulation (60 Active Points); OIF Unbreakable (Stone of Earth (Gem embeded on top part of hand); -1/2), Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; Only vs Earth & Rock; -1/4), Only When In Contact With The Ground (-1/4) 6

17 2) Earth Surfing: Flight 22", Position Shift, x8 Noncombat (59 Active Points); OIF Unbreakable (Stone of Earth (Gem embeded on top part of hand); -1/2), Only When In Contact With The Ground (-1/4) 6

17 3) Earth Armor: Armor (12 PD/11 ED), Hardened (x3; +3/4) (60 Active Points); OIF Unbreakable (Stone of Earth (Gem embeded on top part of hand); -1/2), Only When In Contact With The Ground (-1/4) 0

Talents

3 Bump Of Direction

Skills

10 +2 with HTH Combat

3 Climbing 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

4 Survival (Mountain, Underground) 12-

2 Navigation (Land) 12-

2 KS: Geology 11-

2 KS: Geography 11-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 135

Total Cost: 250

150+ Disadvantages

5 Distinctive Features: Short and muscular (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Distinctive Features: Magical Race from another plane (Easily Concealed; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

5 Psychological Limitation: Appreciates Gems (Uncommon, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Protects the Innocent (Common, Strong)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing (Common, Total)

45 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 250

Yeah, I think that as a GM I'd disallow the OIF part myself if it's embedded. It'd be like ripping Beren Everman's chest-ruby -- you wanna huh what?!? It's embedded in his flesh. Ripping it out would be like tearing out your eyeball.

Instead of that, I might permit 'Restrainable (By Means Other than Grabs/Entangles -- Encase Hand in Plastic; -1/4)' or something along those lines; it isn't something that can/should be taken AWAY, but there should be a clear way for it to be negated.

Looking at your powers and all ... I think I'd reduce the END bonus to 1/2 END instead of 0 END (or put 0 END on the first half of his strength, then 1/2 END on the second half). I'd also switch Flight for Running, perhaps with a goal of applying 'Usable Simultaneously By Others (AoE Hex 2", +3/4)' -- so that you could 'ripple' a whole bunch of people forward on one platform around you.

I'd also adjust most of your characteristics -- most of them downwards, except for INT. Granted, that's a matter of taste, though I tend not to think of dwarves as being somewhere between Black Bears and Lions on the agility chart. :P:) He certainly looks like he was a very exceptional dwarf before he got the Stone of the Earth.

Yey another Chance to Nip Pick on a Character by Khelendros (;))

You got in there first then? I must have gotten distracted with painting my hall...

Anyway - there isn't as many of the classic mistakes in this second effort but it is almost sweet to see the lack of polish in the design.

He hasn't yet picked up on the break points, almost no-one has 15 DEX - 14 is enough to get a 5CV and how nice to see a 20 CON rather than the more ubiquitous 18s and 23s! :)

Once again there is armour in the EC, I'm sure that you should only have END using powers in an EC, no?? Same point as the added characteristics. You should get GM permission to do so.

Doc

Focus and linked are quite efficient limitations, but they are limitations. If you run characters like this then you will have to accept that for a significant period of many games you are not going to have access to the bulk of your powers.

The character would go down very quickly against a well prepared opponent.

Making focii indestructible and inaccessible does not mean that they can not be taken away from you. The limitation value is the same as if they are NOT indestructible, so the practical effect is that, whilst they cannot be destroyed with an EB or such, they will still be out of commission about 1/3 of the time.

Moreover all you have to do to make him real squishy is get him off the ground, and he's easy enough to pick up, or even knock up into the air.

This approach is not wrong, but it does mean that you are making yourself powerful at the cost of significant vulnerabilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Moreover all you have to do to make him real squishy is get him off the ground' date=' and he's easy enough to pick up, or even knock up into the air.[/quote']

Sean, Dwarves do not like to be picked up, punted, called dwarves, or even looked at funny. Oddly that could be a heck of a disadvantage. Berserk when picked up.

SnD