Is it really so wrong?

Weldun

Re: Is it really so wrong?

Toy villains are fun. :thumbup:

Circus Freak

A clown villain who makes giant demonic versions of every day toys to terrorize the city. His motivation is mostly for the grins. One of his best inventions was a remote control monster truck.

My son terrorizing the cat with his toy monster truck inspired me. :eg:

It all depends on the tone of the campaign and the personality of group.

In my group, the overall tone was gritty-serious, but we had several low-key tropes (more in the form of homage-parody) to lighten the mood. I.e., they walked around in men in black suits, looked through tabloids for clues (and frequently found them), drank obscene amounts of joe, and had a number of team in-jokes that were only funny if you were there.

The problem was, I could have gotten away with what amounts to a silly premise once in a while with most of the group getting into it and then going back to the campaign status quo, but I had two players who had no sense or proportion or propriety where humor was concerned.

They would have not only turned the adventure into a monty-python-fest, but wouldn't have let go of it and tried to turn the entire campaign into one. I know this from experience, and most of the group got really irked after two or three sessions of nonsensical antics and jokes after I ran "humorous" scenarios, which is why we ended up more with irony and black humor in serious situations as opposed to potentially comedic plot elements.

As a result: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

ITS NOT RIGHT!!!!! (for my group)

Also, as a player, I might be amused by it once, but four times would start to wear on me. I'm not really a silver age four color madcap, nor do I enjoy that sort of film or horror trope. Its just a personal thing. I'd be game the first time, though.

Another installment in my '80s trek. See if you recognize these names.

Nemesis Enforcer

Pythona

Yes, they use biological gadgets, and yes they come from a hidden underground city of reptile people in the Himalayas.

'OK it's Lovecraft meets GI-Joe; ladies and gentlemen I present Cobra-La'

Unknown Hasbro Employee

He had henchmen like Teddy Ruxpin (big brick' date=' limited vocabulary to what was on tapes, took susc. damage from magnets, etc) "Can you and I be friends?" SMASH![/quote']

Sorry but Weldun forgot the chain smoking and drinking Teddy Ruxpin.

MIss Chaos trained as a Primus feild agent not as a toy store worker. It's bad enough trying to deal with the two team members with a mental age of three. (only one of which is)

• 10 months later...

So in summary, I have used...

Furby - Killer Furbys created by the Black Harlequin.

Care Bears - 4 Mutant Bear-cubs with nasty dispositions and specialized psionic powers which were symbolized on the fur of their bellies.

T-Rex - Buck and Ginger are currently missing, so that might have thrown my PCs, but I doubt it.

Cobra-La - I even lifted the movies plot. I know, I have no shame.

In the pipe are

Alvin and the Chipmunks - A classic case of a "No-Brainer", that one.

BraveStarr - I'm thinking as a politically motivated supervillain, however.

Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa - But I'm still not sure how I'm going to implement these, but I want to, you know?

Visionaries - Possibly as a European group.

Wuzzles - I don't want to give too much away.

The Inhumanoids - Again, I don't want to give too much away. (This is a kids-show and yet I could use it "strait out of the box" and not ruin the semi-gritty feel of the campaign.)

The ones even I won't touch!

Skysurfer Strike Force

But now I'm looking for more toy/cartoon-based inspiration for me to twist so it fits my campaign.

Hmm... SWAT Kats could have potential, if you don't mind vehicle-based char's (they've even got a couple of supervillains trapped between dimensions to play with, canonically.)

Centurions really needs more loving along these lines too, honestly. Why it hasn't seen wider use, I can't understand (Multiform trouble, maybe?)