Is it really so wrong?

Weldun

Over the course of my latest (and longest) Champions campaign, I have introduced several toy-based characters/plots and I'm not talking about a Toymaster rip-off. Here are the one's I've used so far.

Killer Furbys. Several unusual murders turned out to have been committed by ambulatory Furbys. Only, when the PC's investigated the distribution warehouse that these killer dolls were comming from, they discovered that they were in fact miniature T-800 style robots that climbed inside genuine Furbys and altered them from the inside so that their hands worked. These turned out to have been made by the Black Harlequin, of course.

Terror Bears. In a shameless ripp-off from my TMNT books, I "ported" over my four favorite Mutant Miscreants. Apocalypse-bear, Doom-bear, Nightmare-bear and Pain-bear. They are, of course, dark (or truthfull) versions of Care Bears.

T-Rex. I'm not sure that my players have gotten the reference here, but they have had regular dealings with 4 brothers who just happen to be Crime-Fighting, anthroporphic T-Rex Jazz Musicians.

Ted. A mutant bear who has a perfect memory, he spends most of his day in the Agora (an open-air maket place) telling stories to children. He tells them the same way every time. Of course, he favours the original versions and prefers the Brother's Grimm above all others. He also happens to be a chain-smoking alcoholic, but that happens when you can't forget any part of what happened to you as an experimental laboratory animal.

As you can probably tell, I have included mutant animals in my campaign, and they lend themselves to toy-based concepts so well, I cannot resist. Of course, just to increase the pain, I seem fixated upon the 80's, but hey. But I ask you, is it really so wrong?

Re: Is it really so wrong?

Ages ago I had LegoMan!, an animated collection of Lego pieces. Head was a big collection of the little yellow heads that all swivelled together, etc. He had henchmen like Teddy Ruxpin (big brick, limited vocabulary to what was on tapes, took susc. damage from magnets, etc) "Can you and I be friends?" SMASH!

Standard humorous tropes are classic gaming fodder. My old Champions campaigns ALWAYS featured a mime and his companion a juggling bear somewhere near the combats and, invariably, the bear would get upset during the combat and maul the mime. Every time. Was always good for laughs.

Evil Furbys? Classic.

Over the course of my latest (and longest) Champions campaign, I have introduced several toy-based characters/plots and I'm not talking about a Toymaster rip-off. Here are the one's I've used so far.

Killer Furbys. Several unusual murders turned out to have been committed by ambulatory Furbys. Only, when the PC's investigated the distribution warehouse that these killer dolls were comming from, they discovered that they were in fact miniature T-800 style robots that climbed inside genuine Furbys and altered them from the inside so that their hands worked. These turned out to have been made by the Black Harlequin, of course.

This is a great idea... I really love it. Sounds perfect for my Teens game... I think I'll have to use that Weldun :)

Cheers,

"Scare Bears," eh? At least it sounds like you're getting to your players :)

That reminds me of an often forgotten bit of early nineties toy weirdness, the WereBears. They were cute, cuddly teddy bears... until you turned their paws and head inside-out and transformed them into clawed and fanged horrors!

Here's a little refresher.

"Scare Bears," eh? At least it sounds like you're getting to your players :)

That reminds me of an often forgotten bit of early nineties toy weirdness, the WereBears. They were cute, cuddly teddy bears... until you turned their paws and head inside-out and transformed them into clawed and fanged horrors!

Here's a little refresher.

:eg:I had forgotten about them.

Here are some others that I have been dreaming up. See if you can spot them.

• A bunch of pseudo-medieval techno-warriors who summon hard-light holograms.
  • 4 Giant (50ft.) Monsters. One is a Humanoid plant with super-regeneration (to the point of duplication). Another is a corspe-like humanoid T-rex that can turn animal-life (including humans) into double-size corpse-like followers and is vulnerable to sunlight. A third is a snake-like being with power over serpents and the ability to spit lightning. And finally, a demonic looking behemoth that can animate stone and stone-like statues as well as spit lava.
  • Anthropomorhic Chimera that combine wildly disparate species like moose+seal or panda+beaver. Mind you, I have already had them meet a cuttlefish/bat hybrid, but that's a different toy line altogether.

I'm still trying to figure out how to work in the truly cringe-worthy Starcom, but every time I think about it, even my mind recoils.:P

I think every once in a while it is good to have an odd ball villian or hero who comes straight out of Toy R Us or some place similar. Three examples from my decades long game were

The Liquidator - a water emlemental who looked and behaved like the character from Darkwing Duck

A reality manipulator had pikachu and invisible weiner dog called 'Not There' as familiars

The Toy Maker - A villian who stole gems to power his minature space ships i.e USS Enterprise, Millenium Falcon and Battlestar Galactica.

:nya:

Here are some others that I have been dreaming up. See if you can spot them.

Lessee here:

A bunch of pseudo-medieval techno-warriors who summon hard-light holograms.

That would be "Visionaries". A show I enjoyed during its brief run on Canadian T.V.

4 Giant (50ft.) Monsters. One is a Humanoid plant with super-regeneration (to the point of duplication). Another is a corspe-like humanoid T-rex that can turn animal-life (including humans) into double-size corpse-like followers and is vulnerable to sunlight. A third is a snake-like being with power over serpents and the ability to spit lightning. And finally, a demonic looking behemoth that can animate stone and stone-like statues as well as spit lava.

That's "Inhumanoids". I only ever saw about 3 episodes on VHS when I was 14 or so - we didn't get it on T.V. here. Seemed kinda neat.

Anthropomorhic Chimera that combine wildly disparate species like moose+seal or panda+beaver. Mind you, I have already had them meet a cuttlefish/bat hybrid, but that's a different toy line altogether.

Sounds like "Wuzzles" (which I saw a couple episodes of circa 1987), with a little Cthulu tossed in for good measure!

• 1 month later...

As you can probably tell, I have included mutant animals in my campaign, and they lend themselves to toy-based concepts so well, I cannot resist. Of course, just to increase the pain, I seem fixated upon the 80's, but hey. But I ask you, is it really so wrong?

Yes, it's wrong. Deeply horribly wrong.

But sounds fun though!

It occurs to me that I truly have no depth that I will not sink to. I have used Batfox!:P

Now, now! Batfox was a fixture in my campaign for years, hounding Foxbat (and the heroes) constantly. She even learned Foxbat's secret ID along the way.

I remember one battle, Batfox got KO'd (just barely negative STUN), and a male hero decided to wake her up with a kiss. She melted into his kiss, eyes still closed, then murmured, "oh, Freddy..." :P

Now, now! Batfox was a fixture in my campaign for years, hounding Foxbat (and the heroes) constantly. She even learned Foxbat's secret ID along the way.

I remember one battle, Batfox got KO'd (just barely negative STUN), and a male hero decided to wake her up with a kiss. She melted into his kiss, eyes still closed, then murmured, "oh, Freddy..." :P

I'm imagining the hero wrapping his arms around her, picking her up a bit off the ground ... then dropping her like a brick when she says 'Freddy'. *whumph* :)

Standard humorous tropes are classic gaming fodder. My old Champions campaigns ALWAYS featured a mime and his companion a juggling bear somewhere near the combats and, invariably, the bear would get upset during the combat and maul the mime. Every time. Was always good for laughs.

Evil Furbys? Classic.

I've never used a mime as a villain. However, one of the members of EUREKA (European Underground Research Establishment for Knowledgel Advancement -- sort of a co-op for European mad scientits) was Mikos Vasiliou, aka The Greek Buffoon who had his HQ surrounded with a "mime field". Stepping in the wrong place would cause a robotic mime to come up out of the ground and explode.

• 1 month later...