[Help] Gun multipower Charge question?

Malleus

Hi all,

I'm trying to work three powers into a pistol multipower.

Standard rounds: 2d6 RKA; Autofire x3, +1 increased stun, CHARGES

Flak: Missle deflection (non-gunpowder, reflection); at range, CHARGES, reflection only against projectiles that explode when shot with bullets -0

Pistol whip: 4d6 hth; damage shield (touch), continuous +1, NO END.

My question is, how can I make standard rounds and flak use the same charges, but have pistol whip use no charges all in the same multipower?

Ps. Sorry about the lousy thread-title. It posted unexpectedly and I couldn't figure out how to fix the title.

Re: Gun multipower?

Buy the two slots with the same number of charges and a -0 limitation of 'charges the same pool for slots 1 and 2'. That's a perfectly acceptable construct' date=' simple and clean, and give you the effect you need.[/quote']

Only disagrement I have at it is I would call it a -1/4

Re: Gun multipower?

Hi all,

I'm trying to work three powers into a pistol multipower.

Standard rounds: 2d6 RKA; Autofire x3, +1 increased stun, CHARGES

Flak: Missle deflection (non-gunpowder, reflection); at range, CHARGES, reflection only against projectiles that explode when shot with bullets -0

Pistol whip: 4d6 hth; damage shield (touch), continuous +1, NO END.

My question is, how can I make standard rounds and flak use the same charges, but have pistol whip use no charges all in the same multipower?

Ps. Sorry about the lousy thread-title. It posted unexpectedly and I couldn't figure out how to fix the title.

You might also try building the multipower with just 2 slots (Standard Rounds and Flak) and take the Charges on the Reserve. Then build the Pistol Whip ability seperately with a Lockout Limitation.

Re: [Help] Gun multipower Charge question?

Technically you can just hit people with objects. But, in a superheroic campaign you should buy it outright.

If you want the flak and the bullets to share charges, Hyper Man is right -- buy those two slots in the MP, put the Charges on the Reserve (not the slots), and buy the Hand Attack outside of the MP.

Lockout isnt strictly needed since the only way to use the RKA and the HA together is via an MPA, and you can't combine a ranged attack and a melee attack with an MPA according to the rules anyway.

It's Dark Champions but with superhero guidelines, i.e. we've got to buy all our gear with points. Now that I'm neck-deep in the rules, I regret choosing a mundane character. Most of my items would be more powerful and less expensive if they didn't have to ape real world equipment.:rolleyes:

But anyway, if I put a +1/2 Charges advantage on a 60 point reserve, then the cost for the reserve is 60+30=90 points. But is that 90 points an active cost? The limit is 60ap for this campaign.

I don't see anything in the text that says that an advantaged reserve cost is an "active cost" but the example on p.321 lists the reserve on "LAZER'S MULTIPOWER" as an "active cost" (But it might just be because of formating, I can't tell.) And in that same example, the active cost for each slot does not reflect the charges advantage on the reserve.

Ok... I must be doing something wrong here. The power gets more expensive when I restrict it to using a single set of charges.

[TOTAL 38]

32rc Multipower (reserve 52 points) 4 clips of 16 Charges +1/4, OAF -1

3u 52ap "Take 'em down!": 2d6 RKA; x3 Autofire +1/4, +2 STUN multiple +1/2,

3u 52ap "I'll cover you!": Missle deflection (any, 20); Ranged +1. ALSO OCV+6 (12)

[TOTAL 36, better OCV with deflection, two points cheaper and twice as much ammo]

30rc Multipower (reserve 60 points) OAF -1

3u 60ap "Take 'em down!": 2d6 RKA; x3 Autofire +1/4, +2 STUN multiple +1/2, Charges +1/4

3u 59ap "I'll cover you!": Missle deflection (any, 20); Ranged +1 charges +1/4. ALSO +7 OCV

Ok... I must be doing something wrong here. The power gets more expensive when I restrict it to using a single set of charges.

[TOTAL 38]

3u 52ap "I'll cover you!": Missle deflection (any, 20); Ranged +1. ALSO OCV+6 (12)

[TOTAL 36, better OCV with deflection, two points cheaper and twice as much ammo]

3u 60ap "Take 'em down!": 2d6 RKA; x3 Autofire +1/4, +2 STUN multiple +1/2, Charges +1/4

3u 59ap "I'll cover you!": Missle deflection (any, 20); Ranged +1 charges +1/4. ALSO +7 OCV

nope, your doing it right, it's a system hiccup do to charges working as a Limitation and a advantage

My method of handling it is to give every slot (not MP) the charges limitation, then a "Shared Charges" limitation at -1/4

[TOTAL 38]

The 1st multipower can potentially use every charge on just 1 slot (either "Take 'em down!" or "I'll cover you!").

The 2nd multipower has exactly half of the charges pre-allocated to each slot. (This indicates that some 'bullets' can do direct damage and other 'bullets' can only be used for deflection/reflection).

The 1st multipower is more versatile and therefore more expensive as a result.

If the sfx of the "I'll cover you" slots is using the same type of 'bullet' as the "Take 'em down!" slot then it seems to make sense to go with the 1st one as well.

It depends on how many other advantages and limitations you have on each slot, and whether the charges are an advantage or a limitation. Since you have heavily advantaged powers, it's more efficient to add a small limitation onto each slot than it is to multiply the cost of the whole pool; if you had fewer charges, it would be better to put the charges on the pool, since that would divide the cost of the whole pool.

In other words, if you had sixguns (x4 clips of 6 charges), for a -1/4 limitation, you would get:

[TOTAL 27rc]

23rc Multipower (reserve 52 points) 4 clips of 6 Charges -1/4, OAF -1

2u 52ap "Take 'em down!": 2d6 RKA; x3 Autofire +1/4, +2 STUN multiple +1/2,

2u 52ap "I'll cover you!": Missle deflection (any, 20); Ranged +1. ALSO OCV+6 (12)

[TOTAL 30rc]

26rc Multipower (reserve 52 points) OAF -1

2u 52ap "Take 'em down!": 2d6 RKA; x3 Autofire +1/4, +2 STUN multiple +1/2, Charges -1/4, shares charges with other slots -1/4

2u 52ap "I'll cover you!": Missle deflection (any); Ranged +1 charges -1/4, shares charges with other slots -1/4, +6 OCV

But with your current charges you get:

[TOTAL 37rc]

31rc Multipower (reserve 52 points) 4 clips of 16 Charges +1/4, OAF -1

[TOTAL 36rc]

3u 60ap "Take 'em down!": 2d6 RKA; x3 Autofire +1/4, +2 STUN multiple +1/2, Charges +1/4, shares charges with other slots -1/4

3u 59ap "I'll cover you!": Missle deflection (any); Ranged +1 charges +1/4, shares charges with other slots -1/4, +7 OCV

And yes, the 'shared charges' limitation doesn't actually reduce your cost any, so you can freely take twice the charges... unless your GM lets you take that limitation on the pool, in which case he should just make you take the charges on the pool as well.

Two peculiarities to keep in mind with multipowers: because of the fractional cost for slots, there are certain break points that sometimes make small limitations worthless; also, multipowers don't always enjoy the benefits of limitations on their constituent powers, which occasionally makes them more expensive than simply buying all the powers individually.

Having the charges as advantages on the slots has the advantage that you can just buy your pistol-whip damage shield as a slot for some savings (depending on build), so you might want to go that way.

Well, for starters, Ive never heard of a normal bullet based gun that would allow you to deflect other bullets. So, your assertion that you are modeling reality is pretty questionable right off.

There are rules in the book for suppression fire, if that's what you are trying to do "realistically".

On the other hand if you are trying to model an effect whereby you make an area safer for your allies to cross, shielded from enemy fire, with the SFX being you are "covering them" with suppressing fire, then Change Environment is a better way to do that than Missile Deflection -- a CE that imposes penalties to OCV within an area, with Selective +1/4 applied to indicate a) you have to "target" those affected and B) it doesn't affect your allies. It's also a Constant Power, so you can put it on Continuous Charges if you like. However, such an ability sounds like a signature "super skill" that is usable with _any_ gun, and should be bought as a separate ability. You can have it expend one or more charges from the gun it is used with via a small Side Effect (Expends A Charge From Gun Used Per Use; -1/4).

Etc.

Maybe if you posted your character in its entirety and explained your design intentions we could help you realize a good overall design that covers the end effects you want.

Well' date=' for starters, Ive never heard of a normal bullet based gun that would allow you to deflect other bullets. So, your assertion that you are modeling reality is pretty questionable right off.[/quote']

Forget bullets; the build allows him to deflect LASERS by shooting at the beams.

Well he did said that the deflection ability is "deflection only against projectiles that explode when shot with bullets -0" in his first post so I assume he just neglected to rewrite it on the following posts

Even still, this is not "realistic". And regardless, Missile Deflection is neither an efficient or reliable way to help friends not get shot.

Well he did said that the deflection ability is "deflection only against projectiles that explode when shot with bullets -0" in his first post so I assume he just neglected to rewrite it on the following posts

Huh. Since that actually sounds limiting, I'd have granted a -1/4 for that at least.

The idea was using standard bullets to shoot down projectiles. I never planned on using it v.s. laser beams and so forth. However, since the power is supposed to represent ESP I wouldn't mind him deflecting the occasional rail gun slug or hypersonic nano-needle which is why I took "any, 20pts." I could probably justify taking a hefty disadvantage but it's not a big deal -- it only affects the real cost of an ultra slot.

Additionaly, I was going to take reflection with the limitation "only v.s. things that explode when shot" to simulate hoisting someone with their own pitard, but upon further "reflection" (;)) I figured I'd just leave that specific special effect to GM fiat and/or any Side Effect limitations on the individual powers.

I haven't looked at it over the Thanksgiving holiday, but I'm planning on just buying missle deflection with OIF object of opportunity (gun) -1/2, that uses charges of the object (ammo) -1/4 outside of the framework.

Just remembered, War-Man from my Millennial Men campaign had an ability along these lines.

War Man

The Actuated Energy Grid Interdiction System. It uses the Trigger rules interaction with Multipower slots and a limited Detect to allow it to automatically activate when needed.