IHR/Genocide Robot, Minuteman Prime

gmurie

Here he is in all his glory, a big bad guy I'm going to use as the central part of a con adventure. He's set up so that once he starts getting his hands on enough mutants and superhumans he starts getting more and more potent. Eventually, he'd get so powerful that by GM fiat he'd start accumulating skills and sentience, and then start upgrading himself.

If the PC's don't stop him (with a little behind the scenes assistance from Captain Chronos) it'll start doing things on its own initiative and become as much of a threat as Mechanon or Dr. Destroyer.

Val Char Cost

0/90 STR -10

0/35 DEX -30

0/40 CON -20

20/40 BODY 20

0/40 INT -10

0/35 EGO 0

30 PRE 20

6 COM -2

0/43 PD 0

0/33 ED 0

1/8 SPD 0

0/46 REC 0

0/120 END 0

20/125 STUN 0

17" RUN 22

0" SWIM -2

0"/18" LEAP -18

Characteristics Cost: -30

Cost Power

300 Replication Matrix: Variable Power Pool, 200 base + 100 control cost, Powers Can Be Changed As A Zero-Phase Action (+1), No Skill Roll Required (+1) (500 Active Points); Limited Power Only to replicate powers of mutants or superhumans in capture pods (-1 1/2), Cannot replicate shapeshifting powers like Growth, Shrinking, DI, Stretching, etc... Limited (Also can't get powers based on physical form like extra limbs; -1/2)

36 Capture Pods: Minor Transform 10d6 (Unconcious or Incapacitated Mutant or Superhuman into comatose captive, Breaking the DEF:8 BOD:10 pod.), 12 Recoverable Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; If a captive is untransformed by breaking a pod, or a pod fails a transform, then a new pod must be built.; +0) (100 Active Points); All Or Nothing (-1/2), Gestures (Requires both hands; Must insert captive into pod; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Limited Target Only vs. human sized mutants or superhumans (-1/4)

10 Mutants and superpowered humans: Detect A Single Thing 9-/17- (Unusual Group), Range, Sense

Giant Robot

15 1) Automaton (Cannot Be Stunned)

25 2) Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep)

20 3) Massive: Knockback Resistance -10"

10 4) Long arms and legs: Stretching 2", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4)

67 5) Giant Hand Slap: Area Of Effect (up to One Hex; +1/2) for up to 90 Active Points of STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (67 Active Points)

33 6) Mental Defense (20/27 points total), Hardened (x2; +1/2) (33 Active Points)

30 7) Power Defense (20 points), Hardened (x2; +1/2) (30 Active Points)

Conditional Characteristics

36 1) +90 STR (90 Active Points); Only to raise to the highest level those in capture pods (-1 1/2)

42 2) +35 DEX (105 Active Points); Only to raise to the highest level those in capture pods (-1 1/2)

32 3) +40 CON (80 Active Points); Only to raise to the highest level those in capture pods (-1 1/2)

13 4) +20 BODY (40 Active Points); Only to raise to the highest level those in capture pods (-1 1/2), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)

16 5) +40 INT (40 Active Points); Only to raise to the highest level those in capture pods (-1 1/2)

28 6) +35 EGO (70 Active Points); Only to raise to the highest level those in capture pods (-1 1/2)

10 7) +25 PD (25 Active Points); Only to raise to the highest level those in capture pods (-1 1/2)

10 8) +25 ED (25 Active Points); Only to raise to the highest level those in capture pods (-1 1/2)

16 9) +4 SPD (40 Active Points); Only to raise to the highest level those in capture pods (-1 1/2)

16 10) +20 REC (40 Active Points); Only to raise to the highest level those in capture pods (-1 1/2)

8 11) +40 END (20 Active Points); Only to raise to the highest level those in capture pods (-1 1/2)

16 12) +40 STUN (40 Active Points); Only to raise to the highest level those in capture pods (-1 1/2)

Powers Cost: 789

Cost Talent

3 Absolute Range Sense

3 Absolute Time Sense

3 Lightning Calculator

Talents Cost: 9

Total Character Cost: 768

Pts. Disadvantage

20 Physical Limitation - Gigantic (Thirty feet tall, 6 tons, +4 PER rolls against, -4 DCV): (All the Time, Greatly Impairing)

25 Physical Limitation: Cannot function without at least one captive (All the Time, Fully Impairing)

25 Distinctive Features - Giant Biomechanical Robot: (Not Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

25 Psych - Must seek and destroy mutants: (Very Common, Total)

20 Psychological Limitation: Imprints on Minds of those in pods, gains a gestalt of their personalities (Very Common, Strong)

Disadvantage Points: 115

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 453

Total Experience Available: 453

Experience Unspent: 0

Re: IHR/Genocide Robot, Minuteman Prime

Except for a handful of them, I think so.

That's actually the one problem that leaps to mind here. The capture pods are mentioned, but not statted out.

Now, it's possible that they're intended to be GM's Fiat items, but before I went and used him I'd want to tack on a "Capture Pod" Entangle that heroes could try and bust captured muties out of.

The capture pods are mentioned' date=' but not statted out.[/quote']Actually...
36 Capture Pods: Minor Transform 10d6 (Unconcious or Incapacitated Mutant or Superhuman into comatose captive' date=' Breaking the DEF:8 BOD:10 pod.), 12 Recoverable Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; If a captive is untransformed by breaking a pod, or a pod fails a transform, then a new pod must be built.; +0) (100 Active Points); All Or Nothing (-1/2), Gestures (Requires both hands; Must insert captive into pod; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Limited Target Only vs. human sized mutants or superhumans (-1/4)[/quote']

I thought I gave him extra running... Oh well, it was intended to get +12".

The general notion of the adventure is this, it uses Captain Chronos or some other precog.

Without the interference of Chronos the timeline goes thus:

There are two big heroes in small city X, and they're jerks. One is Vigilant, a batman type with probability manipulation powers and more sadism than sense of justice. The other is Paragon, who's a selfish creep who takes payola from organizations like the IHR if they're smart enough to keep a low profile. Both are mutants, but Paragon has an extra twist, he's bartered with Istvatha Vahn for a power boost device. One part is a big mass of machinery in the basement of Paragon tower that's plugged into the power grid, and the other half is surgically implanted in his chest. He sells vital military intelligence to Vahn, and he gets to be a very large fish in a small pond.

The IHR have been working with Warlord to create a super Minuteman using captured blueboy tech. A neural link that Warlord doesn't really want to use himself because the people plugged into it go mad, and their personalities bleed into the device. Genocide has worked out a way to get mutants and certain superpowered humans (radiation accident types) to use their powers and siphon them into a larger mass.

They set a trap for Vigilant, and believe rather optimistically that they can take him down. Normally, it would have been overconfidence, but they get a street gang to act as bait. One of the street gang members is a mutant who has the power to suppress mutant and superhuman powers. Without his superhuman powers Vigilant is easily bested and Genocide plugs both of them into the Minuteman Prime.

Now, with both probability control and suppression powers it's sent after Paragon tower. Paragon fears for his precious booster device and attacks the robot, but he has a vulnerability to adjustment powers and is easily bested. The robot not only has enormous telekinetic powers from Paragon, but is able to access Vahn's booster device. It quickly hunts down and aquires a mechempath and uses that superbeings powers to rebuild itself with the booster as a part of its body.

Things spiral downhill rapidly from here. The robot starts with the personalities of two selfish vigilantes and a street thug, and then acquires the powers of other similar minds. Eventually it gets enough power to rip a big hole in reality.

------

Chronos messes things up by tripping up the ambush and arranging for Rodney (the mutant with supression powers) to escape after he accidentally causes Vigilant's death. Rodney leaves with his friends convinced that Paragon will kill him, so they attack first. Rodney dispels Paragon's flight and force field powers just as he's flying out from his fiftieth floor penthouse to investigate Vigilant's death. SPLAT!

The PCs are drawn into the situation by Chronos, and GRAB is baited into committing a robbery in the city. The heroes should defeat GRAB, and then as the robbers are transported to prison are intercepted by Genocide. Little do they know that although their robot wants to protect human purity, it is now greedy and has a code vs. killing.

Big fight at the end against the robot.

I'm a bit vague on how typical 350 point con characters are going to defeat an opponent with this high level of defenses and Cannot Be Stunned to boot. The usual non-damaging attacks such as mental or adjustment Powers are effectively nullified by Hardened (!) Mental Defense and Power Defense. How exactly did you envision the heroes beating this monstrosity? :eek:

I'm a bit vague on how typical 350 point con characters are going to defeat an opponent with this high level of defenses and Cannot Be Stunned to boot. The usual non-damaging attacks such as mental or adjustment Powers are effectively nullified by Hardened (!) Mental Defense and Power Defense. How exactly did you envision the heroes beating this monstrosity? :eek:

Since it takes on the psychological characteristics of whoever's in its capture pods, toss it a bunch of self-loathing angst queens and watch it self-destruct. :D

Since it takes on the psychological characteristics of whoever's in its capture pods' date=' toss it a bunch of self-loathing angst queens and watch it self-destruct. :D[/quote']

That is an approach that hadn't occured to me, but...

First, the capture pods are carried items, and rather obvious ones at that. The robot will not have access to an defenses with the "protects carried items" or force walls, so clever players can start trying to peel the captives out of their pods. The pregens all have access to DC:12-14 attacks and can get the victims out with a bit of coordination and effort.

Second, it's only as powerful as its captives, and those captives can't provide it with STR boosting powers like DI or Growth. If I have three or four players it gets the powers and highest ability scored of Rodney (Dispel, Suppress, and Transform into unpowered human) Black Diamond, and Cheshire Cat. With more players I'd add on Lodestone, Stormfront, and/or Thunderbolt II.

Thirdly, although I'm going to tack on a potent cumulative Telepathy so it can get knowledge and INT based skills, the robot has no combat levels unless it acquires someone who has them as a power. It lacks a certain degree of tactical flexibility, so if the PCs use a bit of coordination and cleverness they should be able to outmaneuver the thing.

Only if they're VERY thick and just keep walking blindly into its attacks AND fail to figure out the pods should they lose.

Nice build :) A few years back, I'd made something similar along with an expanded Genocide that was more like the folks in the X-Men's Genosha than what we saw in the Mutant File. The 'bot had what I'd called a Nemesis Matrix, allowing it to foil any mutant power it could scan. Quite a nasty bugger. One of these days I'll have to update it to 5th ed rules :)

Nice build :) A few years back' date=' I'd made something similar along with an expanded Genocide that was more like the folks in the X-Men's Genosha than what we saw in the Mutant File. The 'bot had what I'd called a Nemesis Matrix, allowing it to foil any mutant power it could scan. Quite a nasty bugger. One of these days I'll have to update it to 5th ed rules :)[/quote']

I think my favorite thing along those lines that I just came up with was a character with "Biomorphic Adaptation", but I scrapped it because it'd have been WAY too powerful for the character concept.

It was a Cosmic VPP with a heavily limited powers set (defensive powers only, powers that cost no END must take "Costs END" limit and 0END advantage) and a No Control limit. It automatically gave the character a 10 to 20 point cost defensive power that only protects against whatever it was most recently harmed by. The higher the VPP reserve the more obnoxious it gets.

Say a brick walks up knocks it upside the head, and then causes enough knockback to cause a little more. The next time it activates it aquires +20 PD (or +6 if an automaton) and knockback resistance vs. melee attacks only. Then if the groups energy projector beans it with a plasma bolt it gets +20ED Armor vs. Plasma only. The PCs would have to keep switching around the SFX of their powers to hurt it more than once.