basic power layout

TMK2300

OH WOW! I would probably start with the chart on FREd p. 15 on "average characters", but I can't imagine you'll ever get a consensus on "average damage", "average defenses", etc.

I seem to recall Hero running a survey years ago, and finding campaigns with 10d6 average attacks and 35 average defenses, and with 12 average defenses and 14d6 average attacks, and pretty much everything in between.

well I would like to know the general concensus about "average" so that I personally know about how many points to create powers.

I feel lost in the creation process due to the leeway given.

I do want to run the game but I, personally, do not want to "overpower" or "underpower" anything or anyone.

I understand it is my choice of power level but I do not wish to be a "power gamer" or a "killer GM"

I have been acused of both before even when not doing so. And by players who, while GMs themselves do worse than I.

I haven't quite gotten the handle on the power making or even basic character making yet.

I am used to D20 and the Palladium systems.

I seem to get lost with systems like FREd.

sorry to seem like an idiot but the "light hasn't come on yet."

Thanks for your understanding.

I can only give the way that my campaign is designed.

Keep in mind that in order to keep the players from being overmatched for each other I started them at 300pts, rather than the standard 350.

These are starting character figures.

Attack Powers: Max 80 Active Pts. Average 50-60 Active pts.

Defenses: Max 35 PD, 35 ED. Average 18-25 PD/ED.

STR: 80 Max

DEX: 35 Max

EGO: 35 Max

PRE: 40 Max

Some of my players were more experienced character builders for champions. My concern was to keep a newbie from sinking all of his points into one attack and to keep the experienced ones from building the "superman" that can do everything anyone else can do.

It's worked out well so far.

The rest of my campaign info is up on my site: The New Sentinels

I'd say that the guidelines on p. 15 of the Fifth Edition rulebook are the best place to start. They're broken down according to the point base for characters, so you have a range to work with. My only suggestion (without knowing more about what you want to do specifically) is to balance SPD and CV versus Damage Class and Defenses among any group of characters built on roughly the same points; the higher one category is, the lower the other should be.

4th provided the following averages (Steve if there is a problem with me posting this delete it and send me an IM so I don't do it again)

Speed 5.5

Def 25

Attacks 11 DC

Dex 23

I use that whole page as good ranges for characters...