Potion and items

steph

What is your system for potions and magic items ..........the system you use for the characters who can created.............one of my player want to make a potioner and i am a lost............a good thing is explain the procedure for a (let see) a healing potion

excuse my english not my first language

stef

Re: Potion and items

I just have them buy the appropriate power with one or more charges, an expendable focus (the potion) , a lengthy start-up time (mixing the potion), usable by others, gestures (drinking the potion), trigger (drinking the potion)..... you could go on and on.

The best limit on use is to make the required ingredients rare and/or expensive.

I tend to use Alchemy from the Fantasy Hero Grimoire 1. I don't have the info in front of me, but it makes use of Charges, Delayed Effect (to simulate that the potion/powder/etc can be triggered later), Focus (often fragile), Extra Time (6 hours to brew), Concentration (during brewing), Requires a Skill Roll and a few others.

• 2 weeks later...

The UBO/Trigger, long casting and rare ingredients method is the one I used in my old campaign. It seemed to work pretty well, but then, there were no PC alchemists. Easy to have things work well when you're the one running them as GM!

Note that not all effects need UBO.

Example : The exploding potion : Basically material packed into a bottle to form an attack for which the trigger is exposure of the contents to the atmosphere. It is bottled in relatively fragile potion bottles such that they can be thrown at the target, and will break open on impact. Of course, this method of targetting without UBO has its drawbacks. The potion can be caught and thrown back, it may not hit anything hard enough to break it open, and, perhaps worst of all, being relatively fragile it can break open when the owner doesnt want it to...