Maneuver	OCV	DCV	Damage
5	Defensive Block	+1	+3	Block; Abort
4	Dodge	+0	+5	Dodge Versus All; Abort
5	Flying Kick	+1	-2	8d6 Strike
5	Kick	-2	+1	8d6 Strike
4	Punch	+2	+0	6d6 Strike

5	Swing Staff: Swinging 12"; OAF (-1)

Perks:
2	Deep Cover (at least one, probably 2-3)

Skills:
15	Combat Skill Levels: +3 with Hand-to-Hand
3	Acrobatics 13-
3	Acting 12-
2	AK: Astro City 11-
3	Breakfall 13-
3	Climbing 13-
0	Concealment 8-
0	Conversation 8-
0	Deduction 8-
5	Disguise 12-
2	KS: Astro City Superhero Scene 11-
0	Language: English (native)
0	Paramedic 8-
0	PS: Dancer 8-
5	Rapid Attack (HTH)
3	Shadowing 11-
3	Stealth 13-
0	TF: Small Ground Vehicles
77	Total Powers & Skills Cost
180	Total Character Cost

75+	Disadvantages
15	Psychological Limitation: Braggart And Showoff (Common, Strong)
15	Psychological Limitation: Gloryhound (Common, Strong)
10	Reputation: Braggart and a bit of a jerk (Lim Geo: Astro City) 14-
15	Social Limitation: Secret ID
5	Unluck: 1d6
45	Arrogant Jerk Bonus
180	Total Disadvantage Points

Background/History:

We know next to nothing about the origins of the masked adventurer who calls himself Crackerjack. Not even his real name ("Eugene Wallace" is just a cover identity). What we do know is that he is very strong, agile, can handle himself in combat, and all around physically impressive. Although not a superhuman, he certainty is at or near the peak of human conditioning.

Personality/Motivation:

Simply put, Crackerjack is full of himself. He likes to be in the spot light, and actively seems to try and be where the action is. This wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for his habit of taking the credit for any successes, regardless of who actually did the work. He also will utterly ignore his own failings, often blaming others (even if he doesn't seem totally serious about it). So, although his heart is in the right place, his demeanor is more than enough to turn people off of the idea of working with him.

Quote: Ha! Another daring triumph for Crackerjack - the acme of adventurers! Not bad work, if I do say so myself..."

Powers/Tactics:

Aside from his physical skills and martial arts training, Crackerjack has no real powers. He does get around Astro City via a swing line attached to a long staff of cane. The end of the staff is a large silver sphere which will detach and wrap around objects, allowing Crackerjack to swing above the city streets. Although it looks to make an excellent weapon, Crackerjack is never shown using it as one. You might wish to change this in your game.

Appearance:

Crackerjack is a tall man with broad shoulders, short curly brown hair, and a carefully trimmed mustache. His costume has red boots, green legs, a wide red belt with a white star in the front, a long sleeved white top with a high red collar, and red gloves. The top is decorated with green stars and is open to his navel (exposing a lot of hairy chest), and trimmed in red. He also wears a green mask that overs his eyes and ears, but leaves the top of his head and the lower half of his face bare.

As Eugene Wallace, he is clean shaven, with long blondish hair and a muscular build.

Designer's Notes:

If Jack-In-The-Box is Spiderman, than I'd peg Crackerjack as Daredevil (The Confessor and Altar Boy have taken the Batman and Robin spot). He is only loosely based on Matt Murdock, of course, keeping the swing staff and martial skill, but not much else. As he's not really had an origin story, this character sheet is mostly guesswork, based on what he's been seen to do in the pages of Astro City. Naturally, being pretty much a blank slate origin wise, you can easily adapt him to whatever use you wish.

(Crackerjack created by Kurt Busiek, Brent Eric Anderson and Alex Ross, , character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

MOCK TURTLE

(Dr. Martin Chefwick)

Val	CHA	Cost	Roll	Notes
8/40*	STR	16	11-/17-	Lift 6,400 kg; 8d6 HTH Damage
8/20*	DEX	12	11-/13-	OCV: 7/ DCV: 7
10/23*	CON	22	11-/14-
8	BODY	-4	11-
15	INT	5	12-	PER Roll 12-
11	EGO	2	11-	ECV: 4
10/15	PRE	2	11-/12-	PRE Attack: 3d6
8	COM	-1	11-
2	PD	0		Total: 22 PD (20 rPD)
2	ED	0		Total: 22 ED (20 rED)
2/5	SPD	22		Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12
4	REC	0
20	END	0		Values after / from OIF (powered armor; -1/2)
17	STUN	0		* No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)
Total Characteristics Cost: 76

Movement:	Flight: 25"/200"
Running: 6"/12"
Swimming: 20"/40"

Cost	Powers & Skills
10	Power Supply: Endurance Reserve (50 END, 10 REC); OIF (powered armor; -1/2)
53	Wrist Blasters: EB 8d6, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), 64 Charges (+1/2); OIF (-1/2)
40	Turtle's Shell: Armor (20 PD/20 ED); OIF (-1/2)
13	All-Environment Shell: Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing; Safe Environments: 
Intense Cold, Intense Heat, High Pressure, High Radiation, Low Pressure/Vacuum); OIF 
(-1/2)
40	Shell Jets: Multipower, 60-point reserve; all OIF ( -1/2)
8	1) m Stratosphere Mode: Flight 25", x8 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)
4	2) m Ocean Floor Mode: Swimming +18" (total 20"), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)
12	Sensor Suite: Infrared Perception (Sight Group); OIF (-1/2), Ultraviolet Perception 
(Sight Group); OIF (-1/2), HRRP (Radio Group); OIF (-1/2), Affected As Sight/Hearing 
Group As well As Radio Group (-1/2)

Skills:
2	AK: London 11-
0	Climbing 8-
0	Concealment 8-
0	Conversation 8-
0	Deduction 8-
3	Electronics 12-
3	KS: Fantasy Literature 12-
0	Language: English (native)
0	Paramedic 8-
3	PS: Engineer 12-
0	Shadowing 8-
0	Stealth 8-
0	TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles
2	Weaponsmith (Energy Weapons) 12-
3	Scientist
3	SS: Electronic Engineering 13-
3	SS: Geology 13-
3	SS: Mathematics 13-
3	SS: Mechanical Engineering 13-
3	SS: Metallurgy 13-
3	SS: Physics 13-
214	Total Powers & Skills Cost
290	Total Character Cost

150+	Disadvantages
20	Hunted: British Authorities (Mo Pow, NCI, Capture) 8-
20	Normal Characteristic Maxima
20	Psychological Limitation: In Love With Lucia (Common, Total)
15	Psychological Limitation: More Than A Touch Clueless (Common, Strong)
15	Psychological Limitation: Seeks Adventure (Common, Strong)
5	Reputation: powered armor thief and criminal, 8-
10	Rivalry: With Those Who Adopt "Alice In Wonderland/Tenniel" Themes (prof, harm)
15	Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Dr. Martin Chefwick)
20	Mock Turtle Is Really Neat! He's Filled With Human Meat! Bonus
290	Total Disadvantage Points

Background/History:

As a child Martin Chefwick wanted to get lost. He knew that if he fell into the right mirror, locked himself in the right wardrobe, or wandered down the right street, he'd end up in a magical land of make-believe. Just like in the storybooks. Of course, he never did find his Emerald City, but he did eventually graduate to exploring new worlds: such as engineering, mathematics, and physics.

Upon graduating from college with a doctorate in engineering, Martin went to work for a World Petrol, and while there designed and built an all-environment suit, capable of diving deep into the sea or travel into the stratosphere. His employers loved the suit concept, but refused to allow Martin to be the test pilot. Martin then did what every self-respecting scientist does in his situation in the comics: he stole his suit and became a super criminal.

Personality/Motivation:

Martin would like nothing better than a life of adventure. The only problem is, he can't get to the magical worlds of make believe and is stuck here on Earth living a fairly mundane and boring existence. So he's decided to take up the life of a high-tech highwayman, robbing from the rich and giving to, well, himself partially, and his love, Lucia.

However, Martin's desire to impress Lucia and to be a modern-day Robin Hood has had several side effects. One is that he's is fairly blind to what Lucia really is and what she really wants. The fact she's a crime lord all her own never really dawns on him... until it's too late. The second is that he can be talked into just about anything by playing on his intelligence (asking him if he can fix something for example), or his skills as a scientist/adventurer.

Quote: "Maybe I couldn't find the Emerald City, or be a bold adventurer -- but I could be a daring rogue!"

Powers/Tactics:

Martin's Mock Turtle armor is fairly conventional as armored suits go. It increases his strength (he's seen smashing through a small ship), provides a defensive function (he is able to survive a direct hit from an energy weapon), has a flight pack that allows him to cross the Atlantic (and the entirety of the US), as well as dive into the depths of the Thames (and other bodies of water). The suit's offensive system seems to be a set of tubes mounted around the forearms. They fire some sort of energy burst in pulses, which isn't very damaging, but can knock a normal man down and render him unconscious.

The rest of the suit's systems are based on the idea it started out as an all-environment suit. Martin mentions the suit having an internal computer, but other than tracking how long he was in the air during a battle, we never find out what exactly it can do. Of course, this does mean you are free to have to almost anything. Talents such as "Absolute Time Sense" and "Bump Of Direction" seem a natural for inclusion, as well as anything else you'd like it to do.

Martin prefers to be a thief, and will run from most battles, as he;'d rather live to fight another day then pound on an enemy. If he does attack, it is usually from a concealed spot or by surprise. Martin himself is also a respectable engineer, but not any sort of super genius. He takes his time to develop his ideas.

Appearance:

Outside of his armor, Martin Chefwick is a normal (if thin) man of average height, with blue eyes, blond hair, and a somewhat beak-like profile to his face. The Mock Turtle armor is an emerald green with a plated torso and a shell on the back. The helmet has large translucent silver/green eyes, while the arms and legs have a scaled look to them. Large clusters of cylinders surround the forearms and lower legs.

Designer's Notes:

Mock Turtle is seen in only one chapter of the Astro City story "Tarnished Angel." In it, he gives his origin and life story, allowing on to get a fairly complete idea of who he is and what his armor can do. Pity he's killed in the next chapter... Anyway, as I mention above, the suit is open to a broad degree of interpretation about additional suit systems, and you could redo it to make it more "realistic" (for example, making everything run off of the Endurance Reserve). Martin could also do with a base, containing a lab to keep his suit in working order. Oh, and Lucia, as the Red Queen, goes from a love interest to a More Powerful Hunted in fairly short order once the whole game is up on page.

( created by, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

Well done as always!

Now to pick a few nits ;)

Crackerjack seems to have Luck IMO, lots of it. Enough to make up for his complete normalcy. However, that is of course open for interpretation ;)

The Mock Turtle was such a cool character, I too was a bit put out when he's killed before the 1st panel of the very next ish. But on the other hand, thats part of what makes Astro City so compelling -- characters youve come to like might get offed.

As far as his powers, for his flight/swim MPP, I wonder if you cosidered just applying "Usable Underwater" for +1/4 to his Flight? It would prolly work out in the same ballpark of points and seems closer to his capability to me at least.

Also, he seemed to have an Invisibility to Radio Group, Only Usable underwater. Although that certainly could have been a SFX judgement call, he does mention having pulled the same trick before when he first dives into the Thames to evade the Chessmen.

Keep up the great work! More Astro City conversions please! :D

Now that you mention it...

Crackerjack *does* need Luck. I can't believe I missed that.

As for Mock Turtle, he says it was the water and mud that blocked the sensors. As for "Useable Underwater" I suspect that's from TUV... right? I think I missed that one.

Will update them later in preperation for posting to my website.

Oh, and Experiment 626 clocks in at just around 400 points.

Originally posted by Susano

As for Mock Turtle, he says it was the water and mud that blocked the sensors.

Yeah, I know; so it might be a SFX judgement call by the GM (Water and Mud blocks sensors) or an actual power possessed by the Turtle armor. Either way, its cool.

As for "Useable Underwater" I suspect that's from TUV... right? I think I missed that one.

Hmm... I dont recall the source; I remember it from Hero Designer as it pops up as a Flight-specific Modifier.

Will update them later in preperation for posting to my website.

Cool

IIRC, the "usable underwater" advantage is described in "flight" in the FREd description of the power.

For Crackerjack, i'm surprised you didin't put his stick in a MP with a HTH attack (to reflect the fact that he can hit with it

as a nerd detail, i would add him a KS: Popular music.

(he owned a CD collection before having his apartment destroyed by fire; don't recall the exact issue, that's the ep where the enelsian launchs the invasion signal at the end)

Personally, I think having Mock Turtle use his flight underwater is a bit much. He'd go too fast (IMO). As for Crackerjack, he probably could get teh KS, but I was unsure to make his swingstaff into a multipower, as I never saw him actually hit anyone with his swing staff. It did see logical, but I couldn't document it.

Originally posted by Alex Raven

Hey...

These are great looking charaters! Are there any others out there that have been posted in the past??

Thanks!

Just check my webpage (see .sig) for ... uhm... 500+ character write-ups. All genres and settings: anime, manga, comics, movies, books, other RPGS, you-name-it.

Just check my webpage (see .sig) for ... uhm... 500+ character write-ups. All genres and settings: anime, manga, comics, movies, books, other RPGS, you-name-it.

Still wishing for Vash the Stampede though...

Without the Angel Arm, he'd make a pretty cool Champions character.

Originally posted by Armitage

Still wishing for Vash the Stampede though...

Without the Angel Arm, he'd make a pretty cool Champions character.

Someone who owns Trigun is trying to get me his set of DVDs so I can watch them. Until then... (unless someone else wants to send me the complete set...).:P

Seriosuly, I'd like to do the cast of Trigun as well. Vash, Nicholus D Wolfwood, Meryl, and Mille.

Anyay, right now it's the cast of Hellsing.