Idea for a robot campaign

Doc

I had a flash this week about a mix of two or three previous ideas to make an entirely new setting for a hero game.

It's a world were intelligent robots "live" side by side with humans, with all the complexity and social consequences that means. By robot, I mean totally artificial consious beings, not cyborg, more like Astroboy or Megaman.

This would take place in a futurist alternate history where Soviet Union didn't crash. Now, both blocks produce robots and manage this new reality in their own ways. The world live in a new détente and the risk of war is limited, altough political and economical competition between the blocks is still harsh.

It may seem weird, but I wanted to reproduce the feeling of the japanese anime series of the 80s, where cities of white concrete skyscrapers were theatre of android battles or nuclear explosions...

Does this sounds crazy to you? Do you have any suggestions or commentaries? I ask because in my immediate vicinity, I couldn't find any other reaction than laughing...:mad:

Re: Idea for a robot campaign

How big are the robots you're thinking of? If they're large (as in Autobots and Decepticons) you might check into TUV's optional rules for INT' date=' EGO, and PRE in Vehicles as well as the Mecha rules there.[/quote']

No, they're about human size, like Astroboy or Megaman. It's not a mecha genre game. And, just to be sure, TUV means The Ultimate Vehicule, right?

Mmm... bear in mind that this is the "other genre" section; it doesn't get much traffic. I'm only checking this board because of your earlier link. You might get more responses from StarHERO where most Mecha material gets shunted too.

I see... Well, I first thought that Star Hero was pretty much a space opera genre than a general sci-fi section. That's why I posted my non-space related thread there...

I have thought of using pics of those creepy living dolls in a campaign where robots exist. It would be a world where most machine are not self-aware but there exist those that are. Also I plan to throw in ESPers and stellar travel where you enter a type of hyper space that it takes 3 months to travel to the campaign world from Earth but in regular space 5 years go by. Oh my I am rambling aren't I? Oh well, just some scattered thoughts.

Will this be an online game' date=' that I could actually play in?[/quote']

Yiay... Sorry for the possible misunderstanding, guys. I don't have time to play online... The idea of this thread was just to test the idea, as I hadn't get any positive feed-back about it around me. Sorry again.

Little robot men in funny helmets weird me out.

Jus' sayin'.

Marvin the Martian is a robot??

Re the topic of the thread: What would be distinctive about this campaign? Why would running robot characters be *different* than running a group of SF characters with one or two being robots?

Midas

Marvin the Martian is a robot??

Re the topic of the thread: What would be distinctive about this campaign? Why would running robot characters be *different* than running a group of SF characters with one or two being robots?

Midas

To be fair, not every game is terribly different. There's the whole "Seven Basic Plots" argument, and so on. I think that he'd just be shaking up the stylistic elements a bit, and introducing different genre-trope NPCs.

To be fair' date=' not every game is terribly different. There's the whole "Seven Basic Plots" argument, and so on. I think that he'd just be shaking up the stylistic elements a bit, and introducing different genre-trope NPCs.[/quote']

I was afraid my question would sound a bit snarky in print. :(

Let me try again. Sell it to us. Pretend you are trying to sell a Japanamation script to an animation studio. Why, of all the scripts/rpg campaigns available would this one be one to take particular interest in? Pitch the concept so that I want to go "Whoa, lemme play in that world!"

Midas

BTW, could you point me to a "seven plots" link?