Character for review - Shiori

ChocolateMousje

The local Champions guru has been too busy to run a game since the BBB, so I've been volunteered to make a quick game for the group.

Character is based on 350 points, 60 AP cap, 30 AP defenses... Shiori "the slow" is patterned on the anime "Galaxy Fraulein Yuna"

Comments, criticism welcome... I've used a number of (to me) complex power constructs that I'm not totally sure of.

Shiori Jinguuji

Val Char Cost
20 STR 10
11 DEX 3
20 CON 20
14 BODY 8
18 INT 8
11 EGO 2
26 PRE -4
16 COM 3
5/20 PD 1
5/20 ED 1
3 SPD -20
8 REC 0
40 END 0
40 STUN 6
7" RUN23" SWIM11" LEAP-3Characteristics Cost: 38

Cost Power END
15 Slow Speed - Half Phase Actions Only Except Recovery, Recovering from Stunned: +3 SPD (30 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1)
2 First Aid Kit (Max 6 STUN/2 BODY per wound): Healing 1d6 (max. Healed Points: 6) (10 Active Points); Extra Time 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Character May Take No Other Actions (-1/4), OAF (-1), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2) 1
8 Instant Change (Improved): Transform 2d6: Change Clothes (any) to Battlesuit (Cosmetic), Improved Target Group (+1/4) (12 Active Points); Limited Target (Clothes) Limited (-1/2) 1
15 Delayed Attention Span: Mental Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25%
5 Slow Thinking: +5 Mental Defense (7 points total)
10 Fails to Notice PRE Attacks (Defensive Only): +20 PRE (20 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1)
12 Environmental Defenses: Life Support , Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing (18 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
11 Inertial Support: Knockback Resistance -8" (16 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
20 Attack Absorbtion: Power Defense (30 points) (30 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
17 Omnidefense System: Elemental Control, 50-point powers, all slots: (25 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
17 1) Deflector Field: Suppress vs EB standard effect 18 AP 6d6, Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4), Area Of Effect (2" radius; +3/4) (60 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2) 3
17 2) Laser Anti-Missile System: Suppress vs RKA standard effect 18 AP 6d6, Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4), Area Of Effect (2" radius; +3/4) (60 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2) 3
17 3) Omnidefense Dome: Force Field (15 PD/15 ED) (Protect Carried Items), Hardened (+1/4) (50 Active Points) 5
15 4) Automatic Laser Defense System: Energy Blast 2d6 (vs. ED), Damage Shield (+1/2), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1), Autofire (5 shots; +1 1/2) (60 Active Points); Cannot Use Targeting (-1/2), Beam (-1/4)
40 Battlesuit: Multipower, 60-point reserve, all slots: (60 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
3u 1) Energy Accumulators: Healing Endurance 6d6 (max. Healed Points: 36) (60 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2) 6
3u 2) Ohtori Beam: Energy Blast 6d6 (vs. ED), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2), No Range Modifier (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Beam (-1/4) 6
3u 3) Ohtori Laser: Energy Blast 12d6 (vs. ED) (60 Active Points); Beam (-1/4) 6
3u 4) Laser Guided Micromissiles: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (vs. PD), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Indirect Same origin, always fired away from attacker (+1/4), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2) (60 Active Points); 8 Clips of 3 Charges (-1/2)
3u 5) Jump Jets: (Total: 45 Active Cost, 30 Real Cost) Flight 10", Position Shift (Real Cost: 25) plus +4 with DCV (Real Cost: 20) [Notes: Ranged DCV Only] 2
1u 6) Suit A/V Recorders: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Hearing Group And Normal Sight) (45 Active Points); Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1), Fixed Perception Point (-1) 4
Powers Cost: 237

Cost Skill
5 Paramedics 14-
3 Systems Operation 13-
3 Breakfall 11-
3 Acrobatics 11-
3 Electronics 13-
9 +3 with any three maneuvers or a tight group of attacks - Battlesuit Multipower
20 +2 Overall
Skills Cost: 46

Cost Talent
29 Lightning Reflexes: +19 DEX to act first with All Actions
Talents Cost: 29

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
10 Distinctive Features - Extremely Slow: (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15 Psychological Limitation - Ditzy: (Very Common; Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation - Honorable: (Common; Strong)
20 Psychological Limitation - Oblivious to Danger: (Very Common; Strong)
10 Reputation - Extremely Slow and Inoffensive: 8- (Extreme)
15 Physical Limitation - Extremely Slow: (All the Time; Slightly Impairing)
15 Physical Limitation - Scatterbrain Thinker (multiple unconnected thoughts): (All the Time; Slightly Impairing)
15 Social Limitation - Public Identity: Famous Nurse (Frequently; Major)
15 Social Limitation - Minority - Speed Handicapped: (Very Frequently; Minor)
20 Normal Characteristic Maxima

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Shiori reacts very slowly... in conversations she may take several moments just to notice you're talking to her, and always has to think over her answers (out loud) She's equally slow in battle, however, her armor's defenses are formidable and automated.

Re: Character for review - Shiori

Originally posted by ChocolateMousje

Shiori reacts very slowly... in conversations she may take several moments just to notice you're talking to her, and always has to think over her answers (out loud) She's equally slow in battle, however, her armor's defenses are formidable and automated.

Then why the 18 INT? Shouldn't that be more like 8?

Re: Re: Character for review - Shiori

Originally posted by Susano

Then why the 18 INT? Shouldn't that be more like 8?

Just because she's very slow and scatterbrained doesn't mean she's below average intelligence, although 18 might be a bit high. It could be she's just got so much to think about she wanders off topic easily ;). In the anime she shows up as a hospital nurse, if a little confused about her patients.

Anyways, not that I could track down much of an origin, the girls all seem to have customized power armor... someone's got to have modified it, and in my opinion, no one else would have the patience to do it for her.

(Apparently she was part of a villain team in the video game, but doesn't particularly associate with them in the anime.)

Re: Re: Re: Character for review - Shiori

Just because she's very slow and scatterbrained doesn't mean she's below average intelligence, although 18 might be a bit high. It could be she's just got so much to think about she wanders off topic easily ;). In the anime she shows up as a hospital nurse, if a little confused about her patients.

An 8 INT doesn't mean she's of below average intellegence. In HERO INT is how perceptive you are and how fast you think, not how smart you are (see page 23 of FRED). So if she's slow and scatter-brained an INT of 8 makes perfect sense.

Or an INT of 10 and PHys/Psych Lims to the effect of "Scatterbrained."

Re: Re: Re: Re: Character for review - Shiori

An 8 INT doesn't mean she's of below average intellegence. In HERO INT is how perceptive you are and how fast you think, not how smart you are (see page 23 of FRED). So if she's slow and scatter-brained an INT of 8 makes perfect sense.

Or an INT of 10 and PHys/Psych Lims to the effect of "Scatterbrained."

Heh, that'll teach me to assume I knew what Intelligence meant ;). Lowered Int to 8 and used the points to buy most of the int skills back up. Got anything else to teach me today?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Character for review - Shiori

Heh, that'll teach me to assume I knew what Intelligence meant ;). Lowered Int to 8 and used the points to buy most of the int skills back up. Got anything else to teach me today?

Can you explain how a 3 SPD costs -20 points, and her 26 PRE costs -4?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Character for review - Shiori

(edited because I'm a dope)

He's got the Powers adding into the primary values.

+3 SPD as a Power should give him a total of 5. He has a total of 3, however, so he sold off 2 SPD on the characteristics tab (leaving him an overall total of 3).

+20 PRE as a Power should give him a total of 30. He has a total of 26, however, so he sold off 4 PRE on the characteristics tab (leaving him an overall total of 26).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Character for review - Shiori

As DSIMON already noticed, I sold back base characteristics and bought characteristics as powers with limitations. It just didn't show up very clearly in the export template. (Also, it might be -21 for SPD... Hero Designer drops the fraction when selling SPD back)

She's got 3 SPD limited to only half actions (I figure it'd be too much to also give a limitation on movement although she's limited to half-moves...)

6 base PRE, she's not a leader, or charismatic, and it's hard to tell if she's brave or just oblivious to danger... with +20 defensive PRE because she is oblivious to danger.

The only presence attacks Shiori is likely to make would be after not noticing someone's best ranged attack...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Character for review - Shiori

As DSIMON already noticed, I sold back base characteristics and bought characteristics as powers with limitations. It just didn't show up very clearly in the export template. (Also, it might be -21 for SPD... Hero Designer drops the fraction when selling SPD back)

She's got 3 SPD limited to only half actions (I figure it'd be too much to also give a limitation on movement although she's limited to half-moves...)

6 base PRE, she's not a leader, or charismatic, and it's hard to tell if she's brave or just oblivious to danger... with +20 defensive PRE because she is oblivious to danger.

The only presence attacks Shiori is likely to make would be after not noticing someone's best ranged attack...

Ah... I see... well... it is rather confusing to read. And I'm not sure on your limitations on SPD. What can she do in a phase?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Character for review - Shiori

HD's value for the SPD is correct. You do not get points back for "partial SPD". Per Steve. If you have a 15 DEX (giving you a 2.5 base SPD), and you sell your SPD to 1, you get 10 points back. The .5 only exists for the purposes of discounting the first upwards increment of SPD.

Re: Character for review - Shiori

Ah... I see... well... it is rather confusing to read. And I'm not sure on your limitations on SPD. What can she do in a phase?

Any zero-phase or half-phase action (for instance, she can only half-move, and she can't move and attack... I haven't decided if that means no move by/through, not that I can see her trying one). The only exceptions being recovery from stun and taking recoveries, since they don't really require any action on the character's part.

Whee... tomorrow's GM cancelled, so I get to run my game weeks earlier than I expected to ;).