power build question

薔薇語

Maybe it is because it is getting late for me but I can't seem to find a good way of doing what I want. The only thing I can think of is buying a Major Transform, but I don't know what my target goal for the damage should be.

The power special effect in question is:

A nuero-toxin that has been capsuled so that it will burst on impact letting out a small cloud, that when breathed will neutralize the neuro path ways from the Eyes to the brain. This would render them blind, but I want the effect to last longer than that of a flash would, also I don't want it to be a area of effect like flash either.

Originally I was going to go with a major transform and probably use cumulative to reach my desired target number but was unsure what it should be, or if there is a better way to represent this in the system.

Any and all help is welcomed and appreciated.

Re: power build question

I suggest we muck around with Darkness.

Darkness Sight 1Hex

Single Target Only (similar to the Accurate aspect of Area Of Effect, only in this case it's a minor Limitation, say -1/2)

Only Affects Target (similar to buying Personal Immunity to the Darkness, but everyone can see inwards, I'll place it at -0 unless I find a compelling reason not to).

I suggest we muck around with Darkness.

Darkness Sight 1Hex

Single Target Only (similar to the Accurate aspect of Area Of Effect, only in this case it's a minor Limitation, say -1/2)

Only Affects Target (similar to buying Personal Immunity to the Darkness, but everyone can see inwards, I'll place it at -0 unless I find a compelling reason not to).

I very much like the idea, however I don't know 'single target only' is really a limitation. It would seem to me to be more of an advantage in my scenario. Also mobile might be a good idea to make sure to have since the toxin stays on them. I will definatly have to present this to the Dr.A (GM) and see what he thinks. Good idea.

La Rose,

While I am on this same train of though, how about the same general special affect but in this case it works to entagle somone by cutting of the nuero transmitters from their brain to their body? Is there a way to make it based on the Con value rather than Str, or Ego? Just another loopy question for the night.

Thanks in advance

La Rose

The power special effect in question is:

A nuero-toxin that has been capsuled so that it will burst on impact letting out a small cloud, that when breathed will neutralize the neuro path ways from the Eyes to the brain. This would render them blind, but I want the effect to last longer than that of a flash would, also I don't want it to be a area of effect like flash either.

Originally I was going to go with a major transform and probably use cumulative to reach my desired target number but was unsure what it should be, or if there is a better way to represent this in the system.

Any and all help is welcomed and appreciated.

1. Flash is not Area of Efffect on it's own (it may have been in an eariler edition).

2. Transformation Attack is inherintly "cumulative" (a change from 4th edition).

This attack works exactly the same way (mechanically) as the example under Strange And Unusual Powers (5er, p98). Which is built with a Major Transformation. Both "change the target in a substantial, long-lasting way".

Has flash still got Area of effect as standard?

No.

And regarding the original stated sfx I think a Limited Transform is still the most accurate way to go.

If you are set against Transform have you considered a Limited Drain vs. INT? (Only affects PER rolls -?)

That would make the power work independently of the target's actual sensory capabilities (unlike Flash and Darkness for example). It would then potentially work against a character like Daredevil (who "sees" vision-like information with his "Radar"/Sonar Sense) without having to buy the ability to affect that sense group.

How about an Entangle that stops the Sight Group, takes no damage from attacks, and has Limitations Does Not Prevent The Use Of Accessible Foci, Cannot Form Barriers, Does Not Restrict Movement, and something like Looses 1 Body per Day?

The only problem is that it can still be attacked at a -2 OCV penalty to remove it.

Once again, I offer my "Disadvantages as Negative Powers" solution. Here's one of the canonical uses for it. I use this particular application (longer-term blindness) as an example frequently.

Treat Disadvantages as Negative Powers (which is kind of what they are already). Then build this power as a Drain vs Sight, that is, it inflicts the Physical Limitation: Blind on its target. As a 25-point Disad, you need 25 points of effect. The blindness goes away at the normal rate for any Drain or other Adjustment Power. And you can buy down the fade rate to make it last longer if you want.

In the case of Draining off sight, I would generally rule that other Sight-group senses would also have to be Drained off first, before the target becomes blind. Just like it would take more points of effect to Drain BrickMan's STR from 60 down to 0, than it would to Drain Normal Man's STR from 10 down to 0.

So if Joe Normal is subject to this Drain: Cause PhysLim: Blind, it would take 25 points of effect to make him blind. While The Eye, with his 25 points worth of enhanced vision and other sight-group senses, would take 50 points of effect to totally blind.

And of course, you can do this with many other Disadvantages as well. And you can use other Adjustment Powers to affect them, such as Aid to temporarily alleviate the target's Disad.

See my many other posts on this subject. Do a search on posts by me containing the phrase "negative powers". There should be plenty of examples.