Psychological Limitation Help

Supreme

I'm making a character (tentatively) named the "Iron Sage". He's a Buddhist Mystic/Brick. As a Buddhist, he must always be open to non-violent alternatives to confrontations. He must also always offer his enemy a chance to surrender (and thus avoid violence). How many points would you all say this is worth, and what should the specs be?

Originally posted by MisterVimes

Val Disadvantages
15 Psychological Limitation: Favors Non-Violence/Option to surrender (Very Common; Moderate)

Disadvantage Points: 15

This is over and above the Code v Killing?

I would say it is at least a 20 point disad. Remember, if he must always attempt a non-violent solution, he cannot attack from suprise, ambush, set a trap, strike first, use an insurance shot, OR allow any teammates to do any of the above.

What's a Code of Chivalry worth in our campagine? Restrictions would be simular, just different source.

Originally posted by D-Man

I would go with:

Devout Buddist Monk (Very Common, Moderate)

That would include a lot more then just being pacifist, you would most likely be a vegetarian, give your money to the poor, try to avoid romantic entanglements etc. (I'm sure there is much more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head).

Originally posted by McCoy

This is over and above the Code v Killing?

I would say it is at least a 20 point disad. Remember, if he must always attempt a non-violent solution, he cannot attack from suprise, ambush, set a trap, strike first, use an insurance shot, OR allow any teammates to do any of the above.

What's a Code of Chivalry worth in our campagine? Restrictions would be simular, just different source.

I'd add it to CvK.

He won't kill (a given) and he won't use violence if there is another option.

Originally posted by umbra

That would include a lot more then just being pacifist, you would most likely be a vegetarian, give your money to the poor, try to avoid romantic entanglements etc. (I'm sure there is much more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head).

And a social limitation as well (not limiting in some cultures)

Originally posted by umbra

Not all Buddhists, or Sangha (Buddhist clergy), are vegetarians. It has a lot to do with where your order comes from. Tibetan Buddhists (aka Vajrayana) are not vegetarians because they come from the Himalayas where there's not really a lot of good land for crops. Also Sangha don't have to give all their money to the poor. Sangha are supported entirely by the laeity. In this country that just makes them poor automatically, because Buddhist populations here are so low. Though sex and romance are out. Also out are indulgences in many creature comforts like nice clothes, soft cushions, fine foods, etc.

Thought y'all'd like to know.

Originally posted by MisterVimes

And a social limitation as well (not limiting in some cultures)

How so? Just curious. I converted recently, and I expected certain kinds of reactions to telling people that I was a Buddhist. I have found that most people don't have particularly strong reactions at all. Mostly people just say "oh" or ask what "that means." Of course I'm in the SF Bay Area, where being a Buddhist hardly distinguishes you. Still, in most parts of the country I wouldn't expect much more than eye-rolling. I don't think I could claim many points for eye-rolling.