Time running out on Marvel comics on DVD

Kaze9999

If you--like me--thought it was cool that whole 40+ year runs of selected Marvel comics were available for sale on a single DVD and figured you'd get around to buying them sooner or later, you might want to do that sooner rather than later.

I just purchased the entire run of X-Men, Avengers, Spiderman, and Fantastic Four (and Silver Surfer as a toss in) because I learned that Marvel has not renewed the company's license to sell the DVD's because Marvel intends to run a subscription service instead. The following links will illustrate what I am talking about:

The products:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002-2441594-3460037?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=git+corp

The story behind the products going away:

http://blog.cleveland.com/entertainment/2007/11/comics_your_favorites_on_dvdgo.html

Re: Time running out on Marvel comics on DVD

If you--like me--thought it was cool that whole 40+ year runs of selected Marvel comics were available for sale on a single DVD and figured you'd get around to buying them sooner or later, you might want to do that sooner rather than later.

I just purchased the entire run of X-Men, Avengers, Spiderman, and Fantastic Four (and Silver Surfer as a toss in) because I learned that Marvel has not renewed the company's license to sell the DVD's because Marvel intends to run a subscription service instead. The following links will illustrate what I am talking about:

The products:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url?%5Fencoding=UTF8&store-name=software&search-type=ss&index=software&field-brandtextbin=GIT%20Corp

The story behind the products going away:

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-0/1196502306203590.xml&coll=2

Deja Vu! I seem to recall a little comic company called CrossGen that thought "Gee, we can put our comics online so people can read them on the internet. That will make our sales increase and make lots of money!"

Deja Vu! I seem to recall a little comic company called CrossGen that thought "Gee' date=' we can put our comics online so people can read them on the internet. That will make our sales increase and make lots of money!"[/quote']

It seems to work beautifully for Studio Foglio.

I just placed my order for 40 Years of X Men and 40 Years of the Avengers. I already have the Fantastic Four DVD. Of the offerings available, that pretty much covers all the comics I was interested in when I was a big Marvel reader. I was tempted by Iron Man, but since I'm buying these as source material to mine for my superhero game I didn't see it as enough inspiration to be worth the cost.

Now, if DC would only put a few titles on DVD. Giffen-era Justice League, for example.

It seems to work beautifully for Studio Foglio.

Good for them. They have how many titles?

It seems to me that once again Marvel is trying a new version of an old game that blew up in their faces back in the late 80s/ early90s. They want to control every part of their business and not rely on outside distribution networks. Remember when Marvel tried create their own distribution house, bought warehouses, a trading card company, and I believe a paperback printing house? How many times have they went bankrupt since? Twice?

I just placed my order for 40 Years of X Men and 40 Years of the Avengers. I already have the Fantastic Four DVD. Of the offerings available, that pretty much covers all the comics I was interested in when I was a big Marvel reader. I was tempted by Iron Man, but since I'm buying these as source material to mine for my superhero game I didn't see it as enough inspiration to be worth the cost.

Now, if DC would only put a few titles on DVD. Giffen-era Justice League, for example.

IMHO a great DC universe to work with would be the DCAU:

BTAS, STAS, JL, JLU, Static Shock, Batman Beyond, and the related movies: Mask of the Phantasm, World's Finest, Batman: Subzero, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

That's a nice compact version of the DC universe, running mostly from batman's start in 1987 or 88 through the end of his career (Batman beyond's Opening).

IMHO a great DC universe to work with would be the DCAU:

BTAS, STAS, JL, JLU, Static Shock, Batman Beyond, and the related movies: Mask of the Phantasm, World's Finest, Batman: Subzero, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

That's a nice compact version of the DC universe, running mostly from batman's start in 1987 or 88 through the end of his career (Batman beyond's Opening).

Well if I were submitting a wish list to the company for comics to go out and get scanned onto dvd's for me, the old Bill Willingham 'Elementals' would be up there....

• 1 month later...

Shameless *bump*

I have the complete runs on DVD ROM that I want (X-Men, Avengers, Spiderman, Fantastic Four) and am now thinking of picking up the last couple that I might want someday and would be bummed if I couldn't get them ever (though, yeah, there's always ebay...) which, for me, are Captain America and the Hulk.

The complete run of Iron Man already seems to be sold out at Amazon and only available at higher prices, or I'd get that one too.