Lord of Chains

Enforcer84

Okay, so I'm looking at a guy who can summon any length (within reason) of Chain, and it can be any material or be laced with energy.

it's not really a focus with him.

Probably will be stretching based, what limits should I put on this? The chains aren't fingers so they're pretty clumsy. Limited Manipulation?

He'll get an HA with VSFX since he can make them "anything".

Entangle's a natural idea,

what else?

He got his powers from dark supernatural powers. Thanks in advance!

Re: Lord of Chains

Here's my initial power thoughts:

22 Lord of Chains: Elemental Control, 44-point powers

15 1) Basic Chain Attack: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Variable Special Effects (Any SFX; Any material, energy coating, etc. ; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 4

30 2) Chain Control: Stretching 12", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points); Limited Body Parts (Extra Limbs Only; -1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4) 3

23 3) Fierce Chain Attack: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (2 1/2d6 w/STR), Variable Special Effects (Any SFX; Any material, energy coating, etc. ; +1/2) (45 Active Points) 4

32 4) In Chains: Entangle 5d6, 5 DEF, Entangle And Character Both Take Damage (+1/4) (62 Active Points); Limited Range (12"; -1/4) 6

12 5) Lord of Chains: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Mystic, Sight And Hearing Groups), +1 to PER Roll, Discriminatory, Rapid: x10, Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (86 Active Points); Only to determine the past users and history of length of Chain (-3), Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1), No Range (-1/2) 7

12 Chain Swing: Swinging 12" 1

Thinking more, might be fun, since this is stretching, to give him a custom "chain fighting" martial art. MPAs from a stretching martial artist with a hand attack should make the PCs unhappy. ;)

Physical Manifestation Swinging seems a natural, as well as Physical Manifestation missile deflection (spins chains to block incoming attacks) or even reflection. Clinging as well (hooks in the chains to let him dig into walls).

Glowy, energy Spawn chains? That can be called into existence at will? I'm not sure you don't want to use the Focus rules, unless they can't be attacked, although Oddhat's Physical Manifesation suggestion would have never occured to me, to be honest. But let me pluck some of the obvious off the list:

-- Armor/Damage Resistance/Force Field; the chains wrap around you and create a physical 'armor' for the character.

-- Clinging; attaching the chains to chinks in walls and such

-- Change Environment (wrapping the chains around your feet to slow you down or make you clumsier)

-- Drain/Suppress certain stats as an SFX of being 'wrapped,' may include elements like "must follow strike" or some such. But the energy binder could easily carry the SFX of 'entangling' someone but simply suppressing a stat until the "chain" is released.

-- HKA, +Range

-- "Extra Limbs," TK or similar; doesn't have to be fancy TK, but enough to pick someone up and fling them around, Doc Ock style. Extra Limbs with the appropriate strength covers this as well

-- Missile Deflection/Reflection

-- And depending on how 'evil' you want them, Absorbs/Transfers for 'vampiric' flavor.

Style and power may vary. Please see your Ghostly Chains of the Seventh Circle manual for details. Not all powers are applicable in all circumstances. The Seventh Plane of Hell maintains that you will indemnify it from any and all harm arising on behalf of your use of the Chains for any purpose. Failure to comply with the details of this contract may lead to immediate termination.

Not of the contract. Of you.

12 5) Lord of Chains: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Mystic, Sight And Hearing Groups), +1 to PER Roll, Discriminatory, Rapid: x10, Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (86 Active Points); Only to determine the past users and history of length of Chain (-3), Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1), No Range (-1/2) 7

This is deeply, deeply funny. He should also be able to animate chains as a summon; turn people's own gold chains against them, make all the chains in a jewelry store come to life and follow him pied piper style, that sort of thing. :)

Thinking more, might be fun, since this is stretching, to give him a custom "chain fighting" martial art. MPAs from a stretching martial artist with a hand attack should make the PCs unhappy. ;)

Physical Manifestation Swinging seems a natural, as well as Physical Manifestation missile deflection (spins chains to block incoming attacks) or even reflection. Clinging as well (hooks in the chains to let him dig into walls).

Okay, that's just mean, Oddhat.

"I use my NND Choke. While I'm clinging to the ceiling, I reach down 3" and wrap it around his neck."

PC: Hurk! *yoink!*

Oddhat:

I built a chain fighting MA based on streetfighting/dirty infighting with some additional manuevers and the chain weapons element. (Another 'we think alike'), I neglected Physical Manifestation on the Swinging, will fix.

Thia:

I didn't thnk the Vampire direction but considering where he got the powers, I likee.

Both:

Missile Deflection

Well done!

The punk himself, is an agent level street fighter with one superphysical attribute. He's very hard to KO and well, he's not skilled (particularly by my standards).

goes by the name "Chain Reaction" (I had originally planned on making Chain Reaction a radiation elemental, then zigged to the Lord of Chains).

This is deeply' date=' deeply funny. He should also be able to animate chains as a summon; turn people's own gold chains against them, make all the chains in a jewelry store come to life and follow him pied piper style, that sort of thing. :)[/quote']

I was amused too. I like your other powers. I sense "Small VPP" coming online....:D

Okay, looks like you've got this all under control, and I'm not needed.

Though you may want to consider, can he make chains for others to use independently, or do they disappear when he loses contact with them?

Guy like this could outfit an army in kryptonite chain shirt, so it's not a minor consideration.

Yay so many replies and ideas!

here's a WIP charactersheet. He's from my Rockerverse.

Chain Reaction

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20 STR 10 13- Lift 400.0kg; 4d6 [2]

17 DEX 21 12- OCV: 6/DCV: 6

50 CON 80 19-

15 BODY 10 12-

10 INT 0 11- PER Roll 11-

11 EGO 2 11- ECV: 4

18 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6

9 COM 0 11-

15 PD 11 Total: 15 PD (8 rPD)

15 ED 5 Total: 15 ED (8 rED)

4 SPD 13 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

14 REC 0

100 END 0

55 STUN 5 Total Characteristic Cost: 165

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 4"/8"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Swinging: 12"/24"

Cost Powers END

22 Chain Lord: Elemental Control, 44-point powers

15 1) Basic Chain Attack: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Variable Special Effects (Any SFX; Any material, energy coating, etc. ; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 4

30 2) Chain Control: Stretching 12", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points); Limited Body Parts (Extra Limbs Only; -1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4) 3

23 3) Fierce Chain Attack: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (2 1/2d6 w/STR), Variable Special Effects (Any SFX; Any material, energy coating, etc. ; +1/2) (45 Active Points) 4

32 4) In Chains: Entangle 5d6, 5 DEF, Entangle And Character Both Take Damage (+1/4) (62 Active Points); Limited Range (12"; -1/4) 6

10 Chain Swing: Swinging 12" (12 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4) 1

45 Lord of the Chains: Variable Power Pool (Chain Command), 30 base + 15 control cost, Powers Can Be Changed As A Zero-Phase Action (+1) (60 Active Points); Limited Special Effect Chain Control/Summoning Powers only (-1)

4 Summon Chains: Extra Limbs (4) (5 Active Points); Limited Manipulation (-1/4)

Demonic Durability

8 1) Distrubingly Durable: Damage Resistance (8 PD/8 ED)

60 2) Hard to Hurt: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75%

60 3) Hard to Hurt: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75%

11 4) Hellbourne Support Systems: Life Support (Extended Breathing: 1 END per Turn; Immunity: Alcohol; Longevity: 800 Years; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat)

Chain Gang Brawling

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Block/Chin Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Choke Hold -2 +0 Grab One Limb; 2d6 NND

4 Disarm -1 +1 Disarm; 30 STR to Disarm roll

4 Eye Gouge -1 -1 Flash 4d6

3 Grappling Throw +0 +2 6d6 Strike; Target Falls; Must Follow Grab

5 Hoist 'n' Heave -2 -2 Grab Two Limbs, 20 STR to Throw

4 Kidney Blow -2 +0 HKA 1d6 +1

4 Low Blow -1 +1 2d6 NND

4 Punch/Backhand +0 +2 6d6 Strike

5 Roundhouse/Two-Fisted Smash -2 +1 8d6 Strike

3 Tackle +0 +0 +v/5; You Fall, Target Falls

3 Throw +0 +1 4d6 +v/5, Target Falls

4 Weapon Bind +1 +0 Bind, 30 STR

1 Weapon Element: Chain & Rope Weapons

1 Weapon Element: Clubs

Perks

8 Street Credibility: Reputation: Bad Ass (A medium-sized group) 14-, +4/+4d6

Talents

2 Chain Swinging: Environmental Movement (no penalties on Chains)

Skills

5 +1 with HTH Combat

16 +4 with a Chains

2 AK: The Bronx 11-

2 CK: New York 11-

3 Demolitions 11-

3 Interrogation 13-

11 KS: Chains 20-

2 KS: New York Criminal Underworld 11-

13 Power: Lord of Chains 16-

3 Shadowing 11-

3 Stealth 12-

3 Streetwise 13-

4 Survival (Urban) 12-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 466

Total Cost: 630

200+ Disadvantages

Basically this guy was a nihilist who cold telekinetically control chain (and only chain). He fought Buckaroo Banzai and the Hong Kong Cavaliers and lost. His bail was posted by Mr. Blackwell and he later came back a much more powerful infernally enhanced "Lord of Chains". He's not terribly bright but he's no idiot.

It hardly matters, but couldn't you put every single slot of the EC except the stretching into a MPP? They're mostly attack powers or a very limited clairsentience, so he shouldn't need to use more than one at a time. Then pile on a bunch of extra slots and dispense with the VPP as well. I'm not sure what powers you have in mind for that one, can you give some examples?

For that matter, couldn't you ditch the stretching and make the entire MPP a mass of limited range powers with physical manifestation where it's allowed?

THUS:

Cost Power

60 Multipower, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); all slots Limited Range (-1/4)

6u 1) Summon Blunt Chains: EB 10d6, Variable Special Effects (Chains of any material or bathed in any energy; +1/2) (75 Active Points)

6u 2) Summon Barbed Chains: RKA 3d6+1, Variable Special Effects (Chains of any material or bathed in any energy; +1/2) (75 Active Points)

6u 3) Bind in Chains: Entangle 5d6, 5 DEF, Entangle And Character Both Take Damage (+1/4), Variable Special Effects (Chains of any material; +1/4) (75 Active Points)

4u 4) Grab and hold/pull with chains: Telekinesis (50 STR) (75 Active Points); Limited Power Can only hold object in place or reel it in (-1/2), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

5u 5) Barrier of Chains: FW (10 PD/10 ED; 5" long and 2" tall) (Alterable Size, Opaque Sight Group) (75 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

2u 6) Lord of Chains: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight, Hearing And Mystic Groups), +4 to PER Roll, Discriminatory, Rapid: x100 (75 Active Points); Limited Power Only works on lengths of chain (-2), Retrocognition Only (-1)

This version gives you a much more burly option for grabbing and disarming people with the chains (STR:50 instead of STR:20.) and does a bit more damage on the ranged attacks. Granted, you're not giving people a physical manifestation to attack with the EB, RKA, or Entangle.